MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 02-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Top Qualifier
View Lou E's Photo Album

Default 2011 Cheetah Invitational Proxy - Round 1 - Vila Real

Cars have been unboxed and photographed, qualifying has begun with race to follow. Qualifying consists of 5 minute heats with the car with the most laps going first in the race. Race will be 10 minute heats. In the event of a tie, fastest lap wins.

This thing starts now, will update after qualifying!

Last edited by Lou E; 03-30-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Championship Contender
View Big Jack's Photo Album

Default Have fun Lou

Ok, I like this proxy already. Didn't take weeks & weeks to get started.

Big Jack
Old 02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Top Qualifier
View Lou E's Photo Album

Qualifying is done, here are the results:

Borninthe50's - #51 - 49 laps total - 5.557 fastest lap - 3 offs

These ladies are in a hurry!! Car is very quick but RPM's have to be kept high, if that makes sense, maybe because of the magnetic downforce of the Slot.it motor. This is a very fun car that just keeps right on motoring lap after lap, one of the body screws must of fallen off at some point and just attached itself to the side of the motor, car just kept on going and I didn't even realize it until I picked the car up. I don't think the screw is long enough, and I don't have one that is, so I just taped over the screw so it doesn't get lost.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JBriggsK9 - #30 - 47 laps total - 5.585 fastest lap - 0 offs

I love this car, it doesn't necessarily "feel" fast but it obviously is, it's just smooth and consistent lap after lap. Very easy to drive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rixvette - #5 - 44 laps total - 5.774 fastest lap - 1 off

Now this thing is fun, probably my favorite of the bunch, I was honestly smiling the whole 5 minutes! No issues to speak of, just a good solid car that is easy and fun to drive. Should do well on rounds with multiple drivers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 Munter - #9 - 43 laps total - 5.880 fastest lap - 4 offs

Front right wheel wouldn't turn so I put a washer under the body post and that did the trick. Very smooth car and almost whisper quiet, I love the chassis on this car, it's really nice!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Lou E - #26 - 41 laps total - 6.047 fastest lap - 2 offs

After realizing that last year's front motored catastrophe just wasn't going to cut it this year, even after a new Slot.it motor and gears, I decided to park it and went with plan B. I like this car but it's really one of those cars only the owner can like. It's temperamental, to put it mildly, and after driving everyone else's car I once again realize what a poor builder I am. To the future hosts, good luck!

#6 Mether05 - #15 - 39 laps total - 5.600 fastest lap - 4 offs

Really enjoying being able to spend some time with this car again, it is just so cool looking. It's a fun car to drive but it feels like something is binding somewhere and slowing it down. I looked it over and couldn't find anything wrong...

#7 Big Jack - #68 - 32 laps total - 5.860 fastest lap - 4 offs

This car is SCARY! I'm sure my blood pressure went up with every lap...

The low lap count is not because this thing wasn't fast, much to the contrary, but the body screws came off during the qualifying session so that was the end of that. It is very, very fast but should me more user friendly on the longer tracks. Love the widened fenders, very cool, and it falls within the rules.

After tightening the body screws as directed, I noticed the front wheels were stuck against the body. Washers didn't fix the problem and after some head scratching I just taped the rear and it seems to work fine, even if it doesn't look so good. I'll try to do a nicer job of it before sending it off to the next host, unless you either tell me how to fix it or want the car back to fix it yourself.

Going to do some racing now!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Championship Contender
View acmost's Photo Album

There's a new sheriff in town boys.

Yay Cheetah-fest!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Championship Contender

Talking

Hi Lou,
Send it back to me please. I'll gladly pay for your costs. Please give me the address for the next race so I can get it out ASAP. guess I'll need to locktite the screws so it holds for the full proxy schedule.

Thanks for getting the beast up & running.

Big Jack
Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Top Qualifier
View Lou E's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
Hi Lou,
Send it back to me please. I'll gladly pay for your costs. Please give me the address for the next race so I can get it out ASAP. guess I'll need to locktite the screws so it holds for the full proxy schedule.

Thanks for getting the beast up & running.

Big Jack
I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

It's a fun car but my track is just too small for it, the motor has so much power that if I floor it on the straight it will go almost sideways the whole way.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Top Qualifier
View Lou E's Photo Album

Talking The results are in!!

My eyes hurt! OK, on to the results...

Borninthe50's - 102 laps - 5.420 fastest lap - 3 offs (Your car is running really well! With the ten minute heat I was really able to get into a groove with it, it was fun)

Mether05 - 101 laps - 5.497 fastest lap - 4 offs (Maybe it's just me but I just feel like this car should be faster, I looked it over once again and everything is spinning freely...)

JBriggsK9 - 98 laps - 5.493 fastest lap - 3 slides (Another car that benefited from the ten minute heat, was really easy to find a groove with it and just keep it going for the duration.)

#4 Lou E - 95 laps - 5.793 fastest lap - 6 offs (Maybe it was wishful thinking but I felt like suddenly my car was running pretty decent, we'll see as this thing progresses)

#5 Rixvette - 94 laps - 5.610 fastest lap - 4 offs (Have I mentioned I love this car? It looks cool and it's fun, love the huge rear tires!)

#6 Munter - 89 laps - 5.584 fastest lap - 6 offs (your guide broke at some point in the race, I'm assuming it was towards the end although I never really noticed anything wrong until I picked up the car and the guide was hanging just a tad bit lower. Shipping the car back to you is probably not the best idea, I can fix the car here or I can send it to someone of your choosing to fix, let me know.)

#7 Big Jack - 87 laps - 5.811 fastest lap - 9 offs (This thing is a beast and unfortunately my track is just to small for me to really enjoy it and see what it can do. I almost floored it (was too scared to completely floor it) a few times down the straight and I think the whole city dimmed a little. Ten minutes with this thing and not only was my heart beating faster but my forehead was actually damp. I'm buying one of these motors! )

Had a lot of fun with these, a huge thank you to all of you for taking the time to build these awesome little cars and letting me have a go with them.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Championship Contender

Wink Thanks again

Hey Lou,

I put "that motor" in just for fun. I know the orange endbell pretty much is the hot setup for many proxy races but..........,I have several of the "40k plus type motors collecting dust so, I'm thinking "why not". As an added bonus, it will give the hosts something additional to talk about as we go to the different venues.

And like you said, might work pretty good on a large track

Big Jack
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Top Qualifier
View rixvette's Photo Album

Wow, where is everybody? Small turnout.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:30 PM
International Racer
View borninthe50s's Photo Album

Thanks, Lou! And thanks for my first ever first place finish! Glen
Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Championship Contender
View munter's Photo Album

The guide broke? Oh well, that is proxy racing.

Lou, I would be happy for you to replace the guide(with the same) and let me know the $$ if you would please.
Much appreciated.
munter
Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 AM
International Racer
View JBriggsK9's Photo Album

Lou

Nice job, Thanks for hosting the race and the great report.... 50's Nice job... I loved your car last year and can't wait to get it up here..

Munter- tough break on the guide.. But I know you will be back strong....

Good job by all on their cars... Yeah I am surprised on the lower turn out..

Chris
Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM
International Racer
View borninthe50s's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBriggsK9 View Post
50's Nice job... I loved your car last year and can't wait to get it up here..
Thanks, Chris. I hope it runs as well without the magna-braid rails for the Slot.it Flat 6R to grab on to. I think not, but we'll see. Have fun with the cars! Glen (50s)
Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Top Qualifier
View Lou E's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by munter View Post
The guide broke? Oh well, that is proxy racing.
Sorry, guess I wasn't too clear. What broke is the little round piece of brass that held the guide in, it separated at the solder joint. Looks like an easy fix but I just wanted your permission before doing it.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Championship Contender
View munter's Photo Album

Oh another surprise....must have been my crap soldering.

Thanks Lou please effect a repair as best you can.

I really appreciate your help with this as distance makes any servicing a challenge.

regards and thanks again.