MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Championship Contender
View nhdungeonracer's Photo Album

Default Driving impressions of the 2012 cars

There are still some cars coming, and I will update as they come in...

After teching the cars, I put 75 laps on each car on my 44.5' track.
Using a Slot.It controller, I ran them in 3-25 lap segments, and if I felt I needed too, I adjusted the controller in between segments to try to get a better run.
The cars are listed by class, then in numerical order. The laptime I show is the best lap of the 75 laps. Most cars ran the best lap in the last segment.

U class

13-Mrollingthunder-Ford Capri-5.047-Good speed, but tippy in corners. Should do well on longer tracks.

14-Phil Kalbfell-Volvo 142E-5.194-A little loose in the rear, but it is running Ortmanns and not silicones on the rear. If there's a track in this series that likes Ortmanns, this car could be a contender.

31-Dungeonracer-Lotus Cortina-4.930- I spent a lot of time on it, and finally got it to handle pretty good despite it's narrow width. It was tuned on this track, but it will be interesting to see how it fares on other tracks, especially the longer ones.

36-Alexis in Greece-Alfa Romeo-5.044-A fun car to drive. A little noisy, but handles quite well.

46-Greenman62-Datsun 510-5.187-A really fun car to drive. Smooth and steady, the more I ran it, the faster it was getting. In fact, it's fastest lap was on it's last lap it ran.

53-Austin-VW Bug-5.179-A little top heavy, but not real bad. I will say this is the best I've seen this li'l bugger run. Last year, it's best lap was a 5.576 range here, so that's a HUGE improvement for this year. Almost 4/10ths!!

O class

17-Greenman62-Mustang-4.399-Good runner, a little too tippy. Speed is good, just have to slow it down in order to get around the corners or it will roll out.

21-GFG-Camaro-4.454-Runs good. Just a little unstable when pushed hard in the corner, but good car all around for a 1st time entry in any proxy.

22-Flying T-Mustang-4.747-Noisy, but runs good. A little loose in the corners, but otherwise an easy car to drive.

26-HarVWallbanger-Camaro-4.456-Car is very stable, though a little loose when pushed hard in corners. A fun car to drive.

42-Arroldn-Barracuda-4.318-Strong running car, has plenty of zip. Car is tippy, making for a tricky drive in corners. Needs a little more work on the handling. On a track with less grip, this car might come out on top.

66-Autorama-Mustang-4.903-Car is a little noisy, but it does run smooth. Rear tire choice (YellowDogs?) not working as well as silicone tires here, so car is loose in corners. Still a fun car to drive, very similar to Phil's #14 Volvo.

69-Big Jack-Camaro-4.509-Last year, Jack's entry had a best lap of 4.629 here, so we see over a 1/10th improvement for this year. Car runs well, just a little loose in the corners. Speed seems good, and handles pretty decent.

71-Spiritracer-Camaro-4.363-Last year, Spiritracer's entry had a best lap of 4.552, so for this year there almost a 2/10ths improvement. Car is a little noisy, but runs strong, but wants to tip up in corners.

72-Redlyner-Camaro-4.255-Nice!! This is one sweet driving car. Handles very well, and has plenty of zip. No complaints on this car. Should be strong throughout the series.

81-Dungeonracer-Mustang-4.385-Handles quite well, but is lacking speed. Probably going to take a beating on longer tracks, but hopefully do well on short ones.

86-Alexis in Greece-Camaro-4.638-Some gear noise. Car is quick, but tires not getting grip, making it loose in corners.

A/B Prod

02-Dungeonracer-Camaro-4.130-Quick, handles very well, and has good speed.

**5-Ckouba-Cobra Coupe-4.426-A little noisy, but good speed. Really good handling for a front motored setup. Just a little loose when pushed.

11-Brain-Camaro-4.303-Smooth running car, and handles quite well. Has good speed as well. A fun car to drive.

15-Mether05-Camaro-4.218-Nice running car, and handles quite well with just a slight bit of chatter when pushed really hard in the corners.

19-Ckouba-Mustang-4.493-Smooth and quiet, with just a little chatter under hard cornering. Could use a little more speed.

51-Austin-Cobra-4.394-A fun little car to drive. Could use more speed, but otherwise it's pretty stable.

64-B52RN-Camaro-4.369-Quiet running car with decent speed. A little loose in the corners with just a little chatter.

68-Big Jack-Camaro-4.340-A little noisy, but good car to drive. A little loose when pushed hard in corners.

70-Smokeio-Mustang-4.143-Smooth, quiet, good speed and handles very well. A typical Smokeio car.

75-Redlyner-Corvette-4.104-Very, very nice car. Good speed, great handling, very easy to drive fast

89-BB-Barracuda-4.262-Nice and smooth, and handles quite well. Nice colors too :-)

99-Fumey-GTO-4.266-Very quick with strong acceleration out of corners. Will tip out when pushed in corners

**not an official entry-just ran it so Chris could see how it compared

Last edited by nhdungeonracer; 10-14-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 PM
National Champion
View redlynr's Photo Album

I'm quite pleased...

Last edited by redlynr; 10-05-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Championship Contender
View Big Jack's Photo Album

Talking

Oh my.......we won't be able to talk to redlynr anymore and if Detroit beats the Yanks......Forget about it
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Championship Contender
View arroldn's Photo Album

Wow, looks like I hit on it right out of the box for the first time in a proxy series. Tippy, wonder if I could have put another slug of lead in it and it still run as well? I was afraid it was a dog when I couldn't get it around my track. I forgot silicones like clean tracks and my track was pretty dusty when I tested it. I just thought it was the car and no grip. Track is on the floor and I run rubber and urethanes. Thanks for a great drive. Hope it holds up on the other tracks. Maybe my procrastination paid off since I didn't get a chance to test the slower Typhoon motor in it.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Championship Contender
View ckouba's Photo Album

Thanks for running both cars Dickie. I am in shock seeing the Cobra lap faster than the Mustang. I had a feeling I'd be short on top end with the Mustang but glad to see reasonable results with the Cobra. I'd be curious to see tech pics of the other Daytona Coupe which was entered.

Thanks again for the run.

Chris
Old 10-05-2011, 07:26 AM
International Racer
View mether05's Photo Album

Thanks for the input Dickie, I know it takes a lot of time to put this all together and tech each of the cars. Good job!
So were you smiling when you found Mike's cars' rear track to be too wide??? I bet you were!

Last edited by mether05; 10-05-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 AM
International Racer
View Autorama's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdungeonracer View Post
66-Autorama-Mustang-4.903-Car is a little noisy, but it does run smooth. Rear tire choice (YellowDogs?) not working as well as silicone tires here, so car is loose in corners. Still a fun car to drive, very similar to Phil's #14 Volvo.
Thanks for the review. The tires are Yellow Dogs; silicones are not allowed were I race and I have no experience using them. The noise is due to the difference in diametral pitch within Slot.it gears -- nothing I can do there. I also only had one motor and I'm starting to think it is not to par with the rest of the field. Let's see what happens ... hoping for better grip in the following rounds.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Championship Contender
View B52RN's Photo Album

Thanks for the feedback Dickie. Looks like there's a chance for at least a decent showing.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Championship Contender
View MRollingthunder's Photo Album

I'm very pleased, thanks for the feedback!

I'm especially pleased since this is the first proxy race I've ever entered, the first Sebring chassis I've actually used in a race setup, the first low RPM motor I've ever used, the first aftermarket silicon tires I've used since I was a kid in the late 1960's, and I had no idea how to gear the car for tracks I've never seen!

Thanks to all for all the advice given during the build process! So, the car is now "tippy", not surprising given the car is mounted high on the chassis and tall to begin with, with an extremely narrow track and relatively long wheelbase and weight fairly close to the minimum!

But apparently not tail happy like it was when tested! I'm betting the advice to wet sand the tires with 2000 grit to true them did the trick.

So how does one make the car less tippy?

Thanks again for the feedback, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this series goes!

Don M.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:20 PM
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRollingthunder View Post

So how does one make the car less tippy?
Lead sheet. Either under the chassis, if room and rule permits, or inside, on the floor of the chassis... Or widen track. Or lighten body (lexan interior). Anything that will bring the cg as low as possible...
Old 10-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Championship Contender
View MRollingthunder's Photo Album

Thanks for the advice! Actually I believe the car sits pretty high off the track, so I probably had plenty of room for lead. I guess we'll have to see how it goes!

I couldn't get any wider track with the stock body, and it is very narrow.

Don M
Old 10-05-2011, 05:33 PM
National Champion

Somewhat random, but this is the best place I found for this...

No Pepsi, no Coke.