AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Championship Contender
View silverhelmet's Photo Album

Default Da rules for 2012

THE LAST OPEN ROAD PROXY Mark II

Cars should be scale representations of period sports cars raced in B.S. Levy’s first 3 novels, The Last Open Road, Montezuma’s Ferrari, and/or Fabulous Trashwagon. Recommended reading for you while your car is away from home racing its guts out.

Numbers will be assigned on a first come, reservation system. No duplications. Car is to be shipped for tech inspection 2 weeks prior to the first race. Estimated on April 15, 2012. Label each car with your name on the bottom for easy identification. Include a list of specs so we may describe each car which we will photograph for all participants on SCI. A return address label is also recommended and appreciated.

1. Only sports cars mentioned in the first three books of Burt "BS" Levy's "The Last Open Road" series of books ('The Last Open Road,' 'Montezuma's Ferrari' and 'The Fabulous Trashwagon') are eligible.

2. Cars will be 1/32 scale and run in two classes. A and B.

3. All cars will cover the tires as viewed from above, and at least a helmeted head and shoulders of the driver, plus as much of the dashboard as would be normally visible from the side.

4. Cars will have simulated headlights and tail lights, wheels of proper detail (inserts to you), and windscreens as appeared on the actual car. Roll over bars need not be period but are not disallowed.

5. All cars will be scale replicas of the original cars, in both track and wheelbase plus or minus 1/8" (one eighth of an inch) or 4 (four) scale inches Absolute max width of car can not be more than 2.25 inches, unless documentation is provided. Track maximum is 2.0 inches measured from outermost-to outermost wheel/tire.

6. Min. ground clearance 3/32nds of an inch for the lowest part of the car and/or body. No part of the car may touch the track except the tires and the guide. No part of the guide, nor edges of tires may be visible when viewed from the top. Only sidewinder and anglewinder sprocket gears may be within .05 in. and not subject to the 3/32 clearance rule.

7. Tires:
Rears: 0.80" (20.32mm) minimum diameter, maximum width .276" (7.25mm). at sidewall
Fronts: 0.75" (19.05mm) minimum diameter, Maximum width .276" (7.25mm). at sidewall. Track from rule 5 is the outside of each tire or wheel
Rubber or urethane tire compound, must be black (or kinda), no chemicals or oil.

8. Traction magnets are not allowed. But you know this. Lead adhered to the bottom is prohibited. Non metallic sealing of the bottom will safeguard from blown track fuses.

9. Since the cars listed below, for the most part,race in Levy's fictional "SCMA" (Sports Car Motoring Association) association as amateur racers, liveries are the entrant's choice, except that they must be consisent with the period dealt with in the books..(1952-1955)

10. Motors: are not to be tampered with, signs of which can deem car ineligible.

Class A Choose from a list of six motors. These are around 14.000 rpm @12v: BWANC1, BWA 050, M/T-1, M/T SL-1, Ninco NC-1, Ninco NC-8.

Class B. Choose from a list of 3 common available motors These are around 18K @12v: Scalextric/Scalextric Sport standard FC-130, Carrera E200, Fly black-striped, FC-130.

11. Chassis may be purchased or built. Stock or modified.

12. Inline, sidewinder or angle winder motor arrangements are all legal. Gear ratio is uncontrolled, as track designs vary.

13. Car bodies may be of any "hard body" material or be vacuum formed.

14. Eligible bodies
Class A
AC Ace
Arnolt-Bristol
Austin Healy 100-4
Bandini
Bugatti 35
Bugatti 57
Cooper Bobtail
Deutsch-Bonnet
Jaguar SS100
Jowett Jupiter
Lotus 6
Lotus 8
Lotus 9
MG TC
MG TD
MG TF
MGA (EX182)
Morgan
O.S.C.A. MT4
Porsche 356
Porsche 550
Siata
Singer Roadster
Triumph TR-2
Triumph TR-3

Class B Cars:
Alfa Romeo 2900
Aston Martin DB2
Aston Martin DB3
Allard J2X or Palm Beach
Cunningham
Ferrari..(too many to list, but bascially any model 1955 back..)
Frazer-Nash
Gordini
Jaguar XK120 roadster or coupe
Jaguar "C"
Jaguar "D"
Kurtis 500S
Lancia Aurelia
Lancia D24
Maserati A6
Maserati 300S
Mercedes 300SL
Mercedes 300SLR

Weight limits unrestricted. Last years class 1 (now class A) ranged from 67 to 83 grams averaging 75g. Class 2 (now called B) cars weighed between 64 and 91 grams averaging 79g. per car. So why restrict it?

Numbers (3 displayed on each car) will be assigned on a first come, reservation system. No duplications. Car is to be shipped for tech inspection 2 weeks prior to the first race. Estimated on April 15, 2012. Label each car with your name on the bottom for easy identification. Include a list of specs so we may describe each car which we will photograph for all participants on SCI. A return address label is also recommended and appreciated.

Last edited by silverhelmet; 02-22-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: I'm just plain sneaky
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Championship Contender
View Big Jack's Photo Album

Talking

Thanks Don for putting this Proxy together. I'm requesting # 68. Most likely I'll use the same body as last year but, all new running gear.

Jack
Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 PM
National Racer
View o3raledale's Photo Album

Great news. I'd like to enter
Class B Jaguar C-type #18
Class A MGA #187
-Pat Rolland
Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Championship Contender

Default Thanks guys

Consider your numbers reserved. I'll make a list, to post them soon and keep it updated. for now all can just request their numbers right here on this thread. I also didn't mention the entry fee. As last year it will be 20.00 per car but 15.00 for additional cars entered by you. Postage will be reimbursed as requested by track hosts and overage will be spent on prizes. And I've got some goodies in store for you! Award plaques will be for the first three in each class. And three top concourse cars too. So make em look good. This will be fun. I'm hoping boopiejones will help score for us again?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Top Qualifier
View greenman62's Photo Album

Default What about the Cheetah?

Quote:
It may be a device that Levy thought for the book but here's quote... and indeed it's a Ford Flattie

"One of the MG guys brought a TC with a Ford V8-60 in it, and he's having trouble making it go..."
(page 347 TLOR)

"... In fact, that's exactly why that Robby Bernard guy decided to step the hell out of that Ford V8-powered MG and let Cal have a try..." (page 376 TLOR)
If you're ruling the Cheetah out because it's a hot rod then if someone came up with a "Fabulous Trashwagon" it would be disallowed too?

Inquiring minds

Greenman62

Last edited by greenman62; 02-16-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Top Qualifier
View boopiejones's Photo Album

i'm curious about the 2 inch maximum track width. that works out to 64 inches in 1:1, which is a full 12 inches wider than the beloved xk120. i'd think that all these cars are well below a two inch track, even after accounting for the extra 1/8 inch. are there any cars on the list that will be limited by the 2 inch rule?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 AM
National Champion
View redlynr's Photo Album

Class B, #722, please.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Championship Contender

bj, great question. It is a compromise. The 2.0 inch rule was to restrict the Ninco Jag 120 (which hurt because I ran that one) but if you have one you'll notice it will not allow any narrower width without carving up the chassis or the wheels. In actuality, Ninco has still been producing this car, many folks have one, and the era we are replicating was populated with XK120s. I can't just eliminate the model, so I brought it in line with others. And folks should be able to enter a car without scratch-building too. Hope this answers your question.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:14 AM
Top Qualifier
View greenman62's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhelmet View Post
And folks should be able to enter a car without scratch-building too. Hope this answers your question.
It didn't touch mine...

OBTW put me down for 35 (the Maser), 45 (the Morgan) and a number to be named later...

Greenman62

Last edited by greenman62; 02-16-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Top Qualifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhelmet View Post
bj, great question. It is a compromise. The 2.0 inch rule was to restrict the Ninco Jag 120 (which hurt because I ran that one) but if you have one you'll notice it will not allow any narrower width without carving up the chassis or the wheels. In actuality, Ninco has still been producing this car, many folks have one, and the era we are replicating was populated with XK120s. I can't just eliminate the model, so I brought it in line with others. And folks should be able to enter a car without scratch-building too. Hope this answers your question.
i don't have a ninco jag, so please bear with me... i thought the bottom line rule was that the track width had to be within 1/8 inch of scale. but it sounds like that is impossible on a stock ninco jag because the chassis is so wide?

here's my dilemma... to build a competitive car, track width is likely going to be very important. i did a quick search of my existing cars, and i have a 300slr. according to the internet, that car had a wider track than the jag in 1:1 scale. the maximum track width of the 300slr in 1:32 is 1.8 inches (including the allowable 1/8 inch extra). so the jag's track width should be narrower (approximately 1/10 inch narrower in 1:32 scale) but we are going to allow it to be 2 inches wide because ninco built a fat chassis? as an FYI, the scaley 300slr looks like it is actually close to scale, so you can't even fit a scale plus 1/8 inch track width underneath the body and you definitely cannot fit a 2 inch track width.

i guess what i need to know is whether the "2 inch" rule overrides the "scale + 1/8" rule. because i sounds like it does.

Last edited by boopiejones; 02-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM
SCI Administrator
View kidvoltage's Photo Album

#26. Class 1, or A. The class formerly known as the Tiddlers.

#42. Class 2, or B.

722? Don't tell me Sterling is going to make an appearance in the Mercedes!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Championship Contender
View Old23's Photo Album

Please reserve #23 for a Class A tiddler TR3.

So no XK-140 allowed, even though they were raced within the period of the books?

I too assume that the 1/8" over scale track width rule trumps the 2" maximum rule. There are a lot of over scale bodies out there. I wouldn't want to compete against a 2" wide tiddler.

Regarding the calculation of allowable "Track Width", the Triumph's "Rear Track" spec is given as 45.5 inches. To that I would add the width of its spec tire in period (5.50-15) to get a Track Width of 51 inches. Correct so far? Beyond this I would be allowed an "over scale" 4 inches, so my maximum Rear Track Width would be 55 inches scaled down (55/32) to 1.719 inches. Right?

Just want to make sure we're on the same page here.

Old23
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Top Qualifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old23 View Post
Please reserve #23 for a Class A tiddler TR3.

So no XK-140 allowed, even though they were raced within the period of the books?

I too assume that the 1/8" over scale track width rule trumps the 2" maximum rule. There are a lot of over scale bodies out there. I wouldn't want to compete against a 2" wide tiddler.

Regarding the calculation of allowable "Track Width", the Triumph's "Rear Track" spec is given as 45.5 inches. To that I would add the width of its spec tire in period (5.50-15) to get a Track Width of 51 inches. Correct so far? Beyond this I would be allowed an "over scale" 4 inches, so my maximum Rear Track Width would be 55 inches scaled down (55/32) to 1.719 inches. Right?

Just want to make sure we're on the same page here.

Old23
i always assumed that the "rear track" figures listed at ultimatecarpage the same as "track width" as far as we are concerned. they are both center to center measurements, so no need to add tire width of the 1:1 car before scaling down to 1:32.

so in your example, the true scale track width is 1.42 inches. the track width (again, measured center to center) can go as wide as 1.545 or as narrow as 1.295.

but depending on the two inch ruling, that might all be out the window.

i could be wrong, but that is how i interpreted it.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 AM
World Champion
View Robert Livingston's Photo Album

No, that would be Stirling Scalextric, one of Mr Blobbyhead's relatives.

I'm tempted to reserve number 15 for my projected Maserati A6GCS with motorcycle fenders (Class Two), but I already said I won't build another slot car for a while. When is the deadline, anyway? I always start early.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 AM
National Racer
View mrossmassler's Photo Album

Default I'm, in, Class B, Ferrari 166, #21.

No Class A for me this year..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Livingston View Post
I'm tempted to reserve number 15 for my projected Maserati A6GCS with motorcycle fenders (Class Two), but I already said I won't build another slot car for a while........
Robert, didn't you already show us a photo of your A6GCS? I thought you had that car built already...?