MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
National Racer
View shotgundrg's Photo Album

Default New member, New track

Hello everyone! I'm happy to be here! As I just joined and don't know the protocol I thought I'd introduce myself here because routed tracks is my interest. Some boards require you introduce yourself, so here goes.....

I've been goofing around with HO slot cars my whole life (I'm 48 now) I have always wanted a routed 1:32 scale track. I have the base table just about complete. It is a "L" shape 12" on the long side and 8" on the short. I will be getting my MDF next week and begin the layout as well as order Luf's lexan strip and router guide. While I'm ordering I will also be getting his copper tape dispenser. So I'm on my way!!

Haven't commited to a track plan yet. Still looking for just the right one to strike my fancy! I live in SoCal in the Temecula area. If there's anyone out this way, love to hear from you. I'll keep progress posted. Once it's done I'd welcome anyone that would like to run the track. Thanks for listening to me ramble, Dave
Old 06-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Championship Contender
View redsn8k's Photo Album

Did you Hear that Marcus.... a buddy close by!!!!! Welcome Dave. Wow another David...it will be a bit confusing at the local tracks...but welcome!!!! Check out "Marcus A." and "BnC's" track in Murrieta. Great new routed track. Lots of others within a drive... OOPs forgot...My name is Jeff...

Here is the link to the track build above

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=44832

Last edited by redsn8k; 06-20-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Championship Contender
View Marcus Antilles's Photo Album

Well, well . . . Thank you for the "intro" Jeff. Dave, I am indeed just up the road in Murrieta. If you do check out the link redsn8k posted that will give a pretty comprehensive look at my build. I had lots of help too. I will never claim to have done it alone. I am in the process of doing the scenery at the moment and hope to have more to show off soon. This shows where I am at now . . .

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=61740

Biggest thing is have fun. Post any questions or "new" ideas you have and you will get a very learned response here. Drop me a pm sometime.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 PM
National Racer

Thank you Marcus and Jeff! I actually read through your entire build thread last night. You are doing a great job! I can only hope mine looks as good when its done! I live just up the freeway from you in Menifee. It would be great to get together sometime! I'll keep you all up to date on progress. Thanks for the inspiration! Now it's on to the perspiration!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:12 PM
National Racer

Well guys I'm no draftsman but I've been drawing and erasing for several hours now and this is what I've settled on. I'm buying wood tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3885.JPG (74.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM
International Racer
View tim neja's Photo Album

Welcome to the "routed" forum!! You'll have fun designing and building your track. Lots' of good ideas here and people that know how to build!! Good luck with your track--I'd reccomend heading out and driving some of the tracks we have in SoCal even before you start routing!! You'll gain a lot of experience and ideas from the different tracks out there!! Could help you when you decide to start cutting!!
T
Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 PM
National Racer

Thanks for the welcome Tim! That's an excellent idea. I am so pumped about this. Been about all I can think about lately!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Top Qualifier
View HarVWallbanger's Photo Album

Good looking start.... wish I waz buy'in wood soon but maybe next month and I'll get started.... (been saying that for about 2 years...) Hey Tim maybe Dave can make it down on the 30th??
Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 PM
National Racer

Got a bit more done today while my son was taking his nap. Got the basic table done and the MDF sitting up there. Just have to temp mount it and start drawing. I realized I need a compass for the turns and couldn't find one near big enough. So I made this very rudimentary one. I'll start drawing lines tonight or tomorrow. Thanks to everyone again for the inspiration!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3887.JPG (93.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3888.JPG (78.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 PM
International Racer
View tim neja's Photo Album

Looking good---sure--he's welcome to come down next Saturday on the 30th and race with us!
T
Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 PM
National Racer

Thanks Tim for the invite! I will do my best to make it. But I can't make any promises. My daughter is out of school on summer break and mom has been making plans. So it's possible I may have a prior engagement.

I have been working like crazy on the layout. I got the track and lanes all penciled on the wood. I am working on a budget so I was racking my brain on how to get the routering done without the aid of Luf's wonderful lexan guide fence. Not that I don't want one, because I do. I'm just working with limited funds right now and the $40 plus shipping could be used for other things. So with that in mind my wifw and I went searching.

We went to every hobby, craft and do it yourself center within a 25 mile radius and came up with nothing. Then I was at Lowes and bumped into an old friend. He suggested looking at moulding like you use on your baseboards in your house. I went and looked thinking there's no way to get wood or MDF moulding to bend like I need it to. Then I saw it. The PVC moulding. It's perfect! I found one 8 ft long, 1/4 inch thickness and 1 1/2 inch wide. It bent and flexed like crazy! I brought it home and ripped it down to 3/8 inch width and drilled holes in it every 1 1/2 inches. As you can see in the pictures it works perfect. And it only cost $6.00!! I'll post a picture tomorrow after the routering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3889.JPG (85.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Championship Contender
View gascarnut's Photo Album

Dave, before you start routing (maybe I am too late!):

Why is the track width 14" ? What lane spacing and gutter widths are you using?

My experience is that you need at least 16" for the best experience - 3" insode gutter, 4" lane spacings and then 5" outer gutter (or more if you have space). The 4" lane spacing is a really good idea when you start to run faster cars and especially non-magnet. There is still the chance to "rub fenders" especially with longer cars like stockers, but in general the racing is cleaner.

Dennis
Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 PM
National Racer

Hey Dennis,
I laid it out with 3 1/2" lane spacing, 2 1/2" gutter and 5 1/2" outter gutter. I just used the measurments given at the top of the routed track page in the helpful hints section. I have already started routing. I have one lane done and half of another so I am commited. I guess the fender rubbing action will be more like real life on this track!! On the bright side, my home made fence is working splendidly!! Thanks for help I appreciate it! Forgot to mention, the final track width ended up being 15"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3892.JPG (72.0 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by shotgundrg; 06-24-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 06-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Championship Contender
View gascarnut's Photo Album

OK, that sounds not too bad, better than 3" spacing, that's for sure!

That fence is awesome, did you find some 1/8" thick sintra to make the fence that goes int he slot for the other lanes, or are you going to re-lay the PVC each time?

Next question - braid or tape? Please say braid !
Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 PM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gascarnut View Post
OK, that sounds not too bad, better than 3" spacing, that's for sure!

That fence is awesome, did you find some 1/8" thick sintra to make the fence that goes int he slot for the other lanes, or are you going to re-lay the PVC each time?

Next question - braid or tape? Please say braid !
Thanks Dennis, I'm doing it the hard way. Re-laying the fence. It's actually going pretty fast. I have two lanes done now. I'll do the last one tomorrow. I actually did it that way because I put a squeeze in one of the turns. Didn't see a way to do it with the sintra.

As far as braid or tape, I am going with tape for now It's really just a matter of cost. I can go back and cut the lanes for braid later or run this track for a while and then have a good excuse to make another one It's just that braid is a little too expensive to use right now.