MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 AM
International Racer
View SiRCRX63's Photo Album

Default New Mosler & Focus & Ninco appreciation

We went to Larry's friday night (if anyone has read the Detroit Breakdown thread in 1/32) about six of us, Larry was happy and it seemed to do what he was hoping for, create more interest in slot cars.

So I'm runnin with the guys and Larry walks up with the "New" Mosler, "VORTROM" pulls it out of the box, hands it to me and sez, "try this out, it's the new Mosler, it's supposed to be pretty quick" (the paint scheme is quite nice, I've always liked orange, and white cars are easier for me to see on the track, it's got both) so I'm runnin it, and I've never ran a Mosler before, this thing is fast. So you know what happened....I had to get it....I was compelled to get it.....ya think Larry knows what he's doin?

So I got home, but didn't have time to play with it, we were going out. Saturday morning, doin odds and ends around the house, I grab the Mosler, take off the body to check it out, Top-notch stuff (technical term) in there, WOW, pull the mag out, because it was too fast last night, so I figure pullin the mag will slow me down a bit, glue the motor, played with braid (nice braids by the way) set in the track at 4-5 volts for a half hour or so, came back sanded the tires a bit and let her rip...again WOW! Bob told me last year I would like the Mosler, yeah he was right!

OK, on to the Focus, got the Munchi's livery a week and a half ago because I already have a couple of other Focus's in similar liveries, so I was waiting for that one. When I got that one home, again it was too fast with the magnet, so I pulled it, which I have been doing with most if not all of my Rally cars, the chasis has changed a bit from other Ninco Rally cars I have, it's flatter, it's simple and it works. One of Ninco's biggest attribute's they keep it simple and they work, no funny guides, no funny wiring, quality tires (for OTB), and easy to set-up, and run, which is what most of us buy these for isn't it?

Last night, I didn't go out, I was just piddlin (another technical term) around the house, playin with my slot cars, workin on the track (I just expanded it, that's another thread soon though), I got to thinkin about that Mosler and how much I enjoyed it without the mag. I have struggled a bit with my Ninco Mengane and my many Ninco JGTC cars, and started thinkin......hmmmm, I pulled the mag on that Mosler, I wonder if I pulled the mag on these other cars, I wonder if that would help? I always just left the stock magnet in, thinking these cars are supposed to be faster than my Rally, right? Well that was the problem, I was thinking, the Mosler helped me to do something I should have done two years ago, get rid of that mag, because WOW!!! these cars are fun too! in the past they would be fast,but would always break loose unexpectidly, taking the mag out made them predictable, drivable, results were more consistent and easy to learn, I feel like I got 10 new cars this week-end, WOW

I don't want this to be a mag/no-mag discussion, but I learned a little last night. When we first got into the hobby, we would always tune with mags, it was cheap and easy, and a route that more than just a few have traveled before me. I have been running no-mag cars for a few years now, but not until last night did I ever think to take the magnet out to gain performance....or to get, more consistent results, to have a car that was more predictable, and more fun, because of that predictabilty.

I don't know if all the Mfg. cars are going to behave like the Ninco's, but I have to give props to Ninco for putting some of the best value on the shelves for us to enjoy!

Good Job Ninco! and Thank You Gentleman

John
Old 11-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Championship Contender
View sportblazer350's Photo Album

JOhn, i agree with you about no traction magnet racing- it is really how slot cars are intended to be raced. Here in the NJ132 Slot Racing Association, we have been racing more and more classes without magnets. Sometimes stock without mags, and sometimes with slip on after market rears and chassis lead weights. Both are very competitive, lap times not much slower than with magnets (to our surprise!!!0 and yes- the cars are much more fun to drive, and better handling with slides around turns vs those instant deslot ejections with stuck down traction magnets!!

oh yeah- that new Mosler rocks without traction magnets, right out of the box!!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Championship Contender
View NINCO1's Photo Album

Gentlemen,
Try that new Mosler with 15" wheels, 18x10 fronts and 19x10 rears........That's all I'm gonna say!!

Think Red!
Bob/NINCO1
Old 11-26-2007, 03:03 PM
International Racer
View SiRCRX63's Photo Album

Thanks Bob for that bit of advice, much appreciated. (might not be to my competitor's, buhwahahahaaaa)

hope you had a good Holiday and keep up the good work

Have not read much about the Focus, but let me tell ya, this thing scoots, havn't done anything to it but pull the mag, and sand the tires

Gentleman John