BRM Model Cars
NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Novice Racer

Default places to race in kansas (kc area)

Hello all. I am new to slot car racing and was wondering if there was anyplace to race in the kansas city ks area. I live in DeSoto KS so i guess the Topeka KS area is not far either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Todd
Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Championship Contender
View Fred Fries's Photo Album

Hi and welcome to the forum,What kind of racing do you like,are we talking 1/24 commercial stuff, or 1/32 basement racing, analog or digital? I can't help with KC area but I know a guy in topeka, he just finished up a three lane routed track in his basement, I helped with braid a little, or if you're ever out here in the boonies (Ellsworth) about 200 mi west of you, you're welcome to check out my track, 4 lane routed, we run 1/32 analog out here.

Fred

P.S. my friend in Topeka is here under user name lebTAZ
Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Novice Racer

Well I race in my garage currently and its carrera digital 132 basic set at this point, but I will be getting an analog set 132 and 124 soon. Sometime hopefully make it a bigger layout, we shall see. I like digital but I like more options for cars and stuff in the analog. Wanting to learn how to tweak the analog cars and such. I hope to find some people to race with every now and then and learn more about changing things on the cars etc. I guess what im looking for is to meet some good people and have fun racing mainly. Thanks for the invite and I hope to talk to you and others about this interesting hobby. Talk to you and hopefully your friend laters.
Todd

PS
Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Championship Contender
View Zoom Beedo's Photo Album

Todd,

I used to live in the KC area and worked in Olathe and Gardner, so I pay close attention when I see someone from that area. Unfortunately, there haven't been many racers from your area, a couple on the Missouri side of KC and Lindsy Angell in Gardner are all I can remember. There was a guy who used to post from KC, Ks, but I think he moved to Lawrence about a year ago, and I haven't seen any posts from him recently.

You're doing the right thing, though, by putting your location in your profile, and also being open to analog as well as digital racing. Stick with it, and I wouldn't be surprised if some more racers start contacting you. That's how you get a group started. I would also ask around in any of the hobby shops in the area to see if they know of anyone who races slot cars. Leave your email address with them and you might find a few racers that way too. And finally, talk to some of the advertisers here to see if they regularly ship to anyone in the KC area, that's how SouthernSloter and I got together to start our group.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Championship Contender
View lindseyangell's Photo Album

Default K C Area

I just moved from Gardner to Lenexa, KS. A year ago I went to FL and picked up an 8 lane Commercial Track 16' X 35' but once I returned home with it it wouldn't fit in either of the two places that were all set up for us (Optimist Club of Gardner). Price Chopper offerred to let us have their Conference room and a Church that went bust didn't have enough room either. I Triple tarped the track and had it under my carport through rain and snow storms so it had some damage to it. I gave the track to J&R Automotive and Mr Sawyer that owns an insurance company in Gardner before I left in hopes that they would work with the Optimist Club and find a location for the track. Of the couple Hobby stores in the Greater KC Metro Area that sell 1/32nd scale Slot cars they know of no one or place except for a couple of HO scale guys that have tried to start up on several occasions. As a Director in the Gardner Optimist Club I spent lots of time and my own money to retreive the track and even had Rules and Regulations ready and all but set in stone. My intent was to for the non-profit Optimist Club to make enough money so that ALL o fthe "Donations" could be reurned back into teh track for maintenance, and to buy cars for the kid groups so they had little to no money out of pocket for thier initial introduction to a race season. I could go on and on...about my intentions and what I wanted to do...I STILL want to race some, but my main goal is to have something for school age kids to do in Gardner. There is NOTHING in Gardner for kids to do. No movies, bowling alley, billiards/pool room...It would be nice to bring in the Senior Citizens and have them work with kids with slot cars, teach them pool, card games, etc...I ran out of steam and money trying to make the slot car track a happening thing...Should the interest find its way to the Greater KC Metro Area I would be very interested in helping out in what ever manner I could...
Lindsey "Kansas" Angell lindsey_angell@yahoo.com
Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 PM
National Racer
View tom2p's Photo Album

The KC area is T-jet country ! Big time ! A large group of accomplished T-jet racers reside in the KC area.
And great guys - they are as helpful as they are competitive. I believe their group is known as MAHOR - Mid America HO Racing - but many refer to them (simply) as 'KC' - or the KC group.
And the info you are primarily interested in - I believe a few of the guys in this group may run 1/32 also. You can try to contact them via the contact / email link on the MAHOR site -(MAHORKC.com). One guy in this group that may run 1/32 is Don Bourne. Don is a *great* guy.
Good luck !

Last edited by tom2p; 01-13-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Novice Racer

Thanks for the information and I will check out the website you suggested there tom2p. Lindseyangell sorry to hear that you couldnt get your plans up and running. My wife and I are part of the education cousel for our church and are just now getting more and more involved with the youth in our area and are noticing those problems as well. There is litterally nothing in DeSoto either. I think it would be great to get something like your plans running in our area but right now is not a good time as I dont have all the skills and I am not familiar enought with our area and communithy members. But I hope that your dream someday does take off. I wish you the best of luck.

I will keep plugging away and hopefully I will make some good friends on here and meet some face to face to have fun. Thanks everyone and ill try to check back here as often as i can.

Todd C.