MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 01-19-2007, 12:19 PM
National Racer
View N9949y's Photo Album

Cherokee,

N9949Y is a 1980 Cessna T210 I flew all over the Western US and Canada when I was a FAR-135 Air Taxi-charter pilot in Oregon during the 1980's. Cessna 210s and 414s were my favorite aircraft, though I appreciated the PA-23-250 Aztec for its good load hauling, long endurance, stable handling, and respectable single-engine performance when I was working on the east Coast.

Last edited by N9949y; 01-19-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:39 PM
National Racer

Default MESAC's inheritor

Fortunately for those slot racers who really appreciate scale as exemplified by MESAC, the members of Pelican Park Speedway, Eugene, OR have been maintaining that standard for 20 years now, scratch building and racing 1/24th accurate scale cars that model the many different eras of motor sports History from the 1930's to the present.

MESAC Grandstands

Last edited by N9949y; 01-19-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
National Racer

Default My MESAC cars 40 years later

A couple of my MESAC cars still running and racing today at Pelican Park;

Lotus 25/33 I built August 1965. Rules required suspension detail for Formula or open wheel cars. Note the A Arm front suspension detail and on the rear suspension, the radius rods, anti sway bar, springs, etc, all made with thin piano wire soldered togethor- a very strong constuction that withstood racing rigors well.

The vacuum body was from MESAC member Ron Klein's beautifully sculpted Knight bodies, Inc. Ron along with Lloyd Asbury of Lancer devised incredibly detailed and high resolution vacuum bodies excelled only by styrene plastic static models and Cox's slot bodies.

Some typical early 70's era MESAC Vacuum bodied sports cars as featured in an article published in the Aug/Sept issue of International Model written by member John Luthi. All of the molds for these cars were sculpted by member Roger Moon of Pasadena CA. The Lotus 47 was mine and runs at Pelican Park 37 year later!

Last edited by N9949y; 01-19-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:13 PM
National Racer
View dgersh's Photo Album

Thanks for the color picture Todd! Too bad there's only one...

Anybody looking for info on Mesac will have better luck with period magazines than the books.

Model Car & Track did a profile of the club in the July 65 issue, and another one in July 67: the ultimate club track

Model Car Science has an article on their 1/32 cars in the March 70 issue
And a later magazine, edited by Ray Hoy, International Modeler, had a couple articles on Mesac cars in July and October 74.

I think there were a few more mentions, but those are the main ones.

Don
Old 01-19-2007, 02:36 PM
National Racer

Default More bibliography

Other period magazines include International Modeler, July 1974, June/July 1975, Aug/Sep 1975.

A newspaper article written by Dan McLean, for the Torrance Daily Breeze, Thurs. 2/27/75.

Then for a more contemporary look back be sure to read Robert Schliecher's (yes, he's still publishing!) magazine, Model Car Racing, March/April, 2002 and July/Aug 2002 editions
Old 01-24-2007, 11:04 AM
National Racer
View Slott V's Photo Album

Just wanted to add more links to this thread. I've seen this amazing track in pictures before and wish I could have seen it in person. -Scott

"The Mystique of MESAC", Part 1, Model Car Racing Vol #2:
http://www.modelcarracingmag.com/20020304/26mesac.html

"The Mystique of MESAC", Part 2, Model Car Racing Vol #4:
http://www.modelcarracingmag.com/200...46vintage.html

"The Mystique of MESAC", Part 3, Model Car Racing Vol #8:
http://www.modelcarracingmag.com/200...s/mytique.html

"MESAC Mystique": Vintage SLot Racing Newsletter, Vol 8, #3, 1970: (at the bottom of the page)
http://www.vsrnonline.com/SearchIndex_TrackPlans.html

Model Car and Track, July 1965: (from a German website)
This site describes some of the early slot racing magazines where pictures of the track can be found. It also contains a quote from a past MESAC racer that claims the track actually burned at the end of it's life.
http://www.124er.de/strecken/mesac/pic_mesac.htm

Great stuff!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Championship Contender
View gascarnut's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by monovell View Post
I currently race with 2 guys who raced at MESAC in the 60s, Dan Wilson and Dennis Samson.
Just Dan, not me I'm afraid - I was still a student in south Africa at that time, reading everything I could get in the magazines and wishing I could have been there.

I have some relics from MESAC, though. Victor Ferguson of TrueScale products has a few boxes of old frames and cars given to him by the last remaining MESAC members when the club finally closed its doors, and I have been slowly restoring some of them.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Club Racer
View cherokee's Photo Album

Why did the club close its doors? Was there a fire that damaged the track and building that it was in? Is there any part of the track that still exists? This is just amazing to me, the amount of detail, engineering done. And all with the technology at the time.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Pit Crew

Default MESAC Photos

I cannot thank you enough for the MESAC photos. As a MESAC member I will print them a place them with my Russ Cup championship trophies.
Bob Bernhard
Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 AM
Pit Crew

Default #15

These car must belong to Todd Messinger?
Bob B. #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9949y View Post
A couple of my MESAC cars still running and racing today at Pelican Park;

Lotus 25/33 I built August 1965. Rules required suspension detail for Formula or open wheel cars. Note the A Arm front suspension detail and on the rear suspension, the radius rods, anti sway bar, springs, etc, all made with thin piano wire soldered togethor- a very strong constuction that withstood racing rigors well.

The vacuum body was from MESAC member Ron Klein's beautifully sculpted Knight bodies, Inc. Ron along with Lloyd Asbury of Lancer devised incredibly detailed and high resolution vacuum bodies excelled only by styrene plastic static models and Cox's slot bodies.

Some typical early 70's era MESAC Vacuum bodied sports cars as featured in an article published in the Aug/Sept issue of International Model written by member John Luthi. All of the molds for these cars were sculpted by member Roger Moon of Pasadena CA. The Lotus 47 was mine and runs at Pelican Park 37 year later!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:01 PM
National Racer

MESAC, in the annals of slot racing, is long and illustrious. Its story has lacked an ending, though, as few were around then to tell it. In 1975-76 I was thoroughly buried by my undergraduate program at CSULB, focusing much of my time writing research papers for my History degree.

John Luthi, of Claremont CA, who was an active MESAC member to the end wrapped up in 2007 MESAC’s saga:

“I was a member from late 1969 to the Club’s demise in late 1977. That seemed a long stretch at the time; but looking back, it feels like it came and went in the blink of an eye. At any rate, that period of my life was an enrichment of fun, adventure, learning and camaraderie quite unlike anything I’ve experienced since.

I hailed from a nearby slot racing club that considered itself “scale,” though I’m not sure why. We nevertheless were invited to participate in a MESAC U-2* race one evening in 1969, and about six of us made the trip to Inglewood. We’d all seen photos of the track in magazines of the day, but still our eyes were out on stocks when we saw the legendary layout for the first time in person. Slot racing was in its demise at the time, and I think MESAC was for the first time actually trying to recruit new members. My old club was loosing members also, and the commercial raceways were dropping by the wayside. I was the only one from my old club to join up, mainly to experience 1:32 racing for the first time, and because I really did appreciate the concept of scale racing.

Jim Russell, Ron Von Klein and John Duer and were still active, but not for much longer. I did meet Ed Harris, but he wasn’t coming around very often, and the Sisk brothers made a few encore appearances after I’d joined. I can remember a few other faces but can no longer recall names (who was the older gent who worked as a wine salesman, always showed up in suit and drove FAST?). Chuck Hooton, Roger Moon, Don Sloan, Todd Messinger and Dan Wilson were established members who stayed around for a few years or more after I joined.

Jim Russell left to run Aurora’s HO racing program in New York, and Ron Klein went with him as a designer. Bob Bernhard joined them later. Anyone remember Speedy Bob, the erstwhile pro shop racer? He showed up one night with the great Lee Gilbert, and decided to stay. Lee also did some races with us. Wow, is it ever easy to digress! Before Jim left for NY and closed down Russkit, I was invited to the shop in North Hollywood and given the grand tour plus a generous assortment of parts and goodies. This was an “initiation” all new MESAC members received up to that point, and I was probably the last to be bestowed with such honors.

I got in at the tail end of MESAC’s glory days, and I am grateful for being involved when there were still a lot of enthusiastic members. As mentioned, slot racing was on its way out as a pastime, being usurped by the onslaught of video games and other instant gratification hobbies. The neighborhood in which our building was located was sadly going downhill also, and it was hard to get otherwise-interested folks to stop by. In 1976, I think it was, the club building was broken into by young hoodlums, who ransacked the place, destroying a good deal of the marvelous scenery. Repairs were made, but the layout was never again as elaborate as in its heyday, and a lot of wind was taken out of the members’ sails.

We carried on with perhaps six regular members and a few irregulars until December 1977. It was becoming hard to make the rent and pay for the lights, and it simply wasn’t fun anymore with such a small turnout. Our final ranks included Hooton, Moon, Sloan, Victor Ferguson, myself and occasionally Lee Stokley and the Yee brothers. We simply stopped racing after 1977.

The final objective was to dismantle the track and make the building rentable for our landlord; but we never carried that out, never developed a plan to store or resurrect it. It would’ve taken a lot more enthusiasm and money than could’ve been mustered at the time; besides which, the floor on which the track was constructed was quite uneven and restoring it elsewhere would be a major headache. Hooton was getting mixed signals from the landlord, who was going to raze the building (or perhaps it was the city that had such plans) one week, and the next talked of selling off the track to some interested party (unknown to the members). It was questionable as to whether we continued to owe rent while the track remained in place, and in the end we simply fell out of contact with the landlord, effectively turning it over to him. There has been talk that it was actually moved, but its fate seems to be part of the MESAC mystique. The building lived on into the nineties at least, for a while as a church, then as a machine shop. But I haven’t been by the old locale for many years now.”
Old 12-08-2007, 11:48 AM
World Champion
View Robert Livingston's Photo Album

Wow, to think that some bit of the old track might have been salvaged, somewhere, by someone, somehow. A legendary track, lost, tantalizing us forever.

This same fate befell many model railroad clubs that occupied large, low-rent buildings. Today, most model railroading has moved into private basements, like slot car racing, due to the expense of renting, and the security issues that go with low rent. I was lucky enough to stumble across a box of rolling stock, track, and documentation from the nationally famous model railroad club that flourished before WWII in the Pelham, New York railroad station, demolished to make room for Interstate Highway 95. The box of goodies was out on the street, waiting for the trash collectors. Amazing good fortune, on my part.

It can happen. Could be that some bit or piece of the MESAC racing plant is, as yet, undiscovered, stashed away by somebody who chanced upon it, and recognized the value. Or, it could be just a dream.

Thanks for the story!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Championship Contender
View geno's Photo Album

truely amazing, wish there was more about this track and club. I was 10 yrs old in 63.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:46 PM
International Racer
View buspor63's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno View Post
truely amazing, wish there was more about this track and club. I was 10 yrs old in 63.
Depending on the month, I was either "in the oven" or 1-2-3 months old. I still remember my dad taking me to the commercial track here and to the flying model field. Those things surely influenced my hobbies in the future.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Top Qualifier
View Fred Fries's Photo Album

Would have loved to even just got to watch racin on that track!! Right after I win the Lottery I may have to remodel the barn and try to copy that layout(in my dreams)

Fred