Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Technical > Tech Q & A

Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Championship Contender
View geno's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto_Girl View Post
So, the machine arrived and on the second attempt, I trued successfully my first set of (rubber) tires!!

Good times, the set before that (try #1) was so much fun that I ended up sanding the tires down almost to the hubs. It's so cool, seeing those rubber particles accumulate. Feels very pro.

That set of trued rear tires is going to New Zealand, along with a Slot.it Alfa, for the Auslot CanAm Proxy Race. How it'll run on those super smooth tracks is a complete mystery to me, but at least I'll be pretty sure it's not out of true tires causing the problem.
I was just wondering how your tire turer was working out. Good to hear your enjoying it. I may have to sell one of my rifles so I can get one.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Championship Contender
View Pinto_Girl's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr vanski View Post
Have you priced out urethane tires for your fleet lately? I'll bet that you could get a set for every car you have and still come out spending less than you would buying a Hudy. Plus, you could probably run stock wheels/axles as opposed to an additional $30/car spent on wheels, gears, axles and bushings. YMMV.
What I don't understand is, I've been running silicones for a while now and a layer has built up on the track, would urethane tires work in that case? I probably would have stayed with rubber had I known.

Geno, thanks, it's really cool. At least with rubber, this machine seems to do a good job. I did a bit of truing then flipped the axle to do the rest, hoping that the results would be more even. I'm going to take a crack at a set of silicone tires next, just to see what happens. Still don't know what RPM to use, Robert suggested something around 3,000 but I don't quite know exactly how fast that is on the machine.

Last edited by Pinto_Girl; 02-01-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:36 AM
Championship Contender
View geno's Photo Album

Hi Nat what voltage, and sandpaper grit are you using to true rubber tires

Last edited by geno; 02-02-2010 at 04:38 AM. Reason: revised question
Old 02-02-2010, 06:00 AM
World Champion
View Robert Livingston's Photo Album

3,000 RPM is a rough estimate. About half the full-voltage axle speed is the ballpark for tire truing. You can go as fast as you want, but ease back on the speed if the heat buildup is causing excess pills (balls of rubber) or heat glazing to occur.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Top Qualifier
View Smokeio's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto_Girl View Post
What I don't understand is, I've been running silicones for a while now and a layer has built up on the track, would urethane tires work in that case? I probably would have stayed with rubber had I known.

Geno, thanks, it's really cool. At least with rubber, this machine seems to do a good job. I did a bit of truing then flipped the axle to do the rest, hoping that the results would be more even. I'm going to take a crack at a set of silicone tires next, just to see what happens. Still don't know what RPM to use, Robert suggested something around 3,000 but I don't quite know exactly how fast that is on the machine.
Urethane tires seem to work well on any surface as long as you keep the tires themselves clean. I run both Yellow Dogs and old Ortmann tires on my track and they run great but they do pick up the crud left on the track and from the copper tape.

No matter what RPM you true your tires at, the key to truing a silicone tires is keeping the tires and sandpaper/drum clean. I've gotten excellent results cleaning everything with a rag and Simple Green as soon as I start to see a buildup on the drum.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Championship Contender

Geno, the machine comes with sandpaper of some sort already affixed to the sanding block, I'm guessing it's 240 or 320, in that range. Voltage was low, in the neighborhood of 5v.

Robert, thanks again. I think I did okay, the rubber bits were sort of flaky and the tires got just a teensy bit warm but I tried to avoid heating them as much as I could, since I don't know how far is too far, and that was the only set of tires left for my CanAm proxy entry that just started the trip to New Zealand, against the deadline.

Last edited by Pinto_Girl; 02-02-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
National Racer
View Dave.616's Photo Album

Pinto Girl you talked about trying some silicone tires wondered if you did and how you made out?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Top Qualifier
View The Old Jaybird's Photo Album

Default For silicone tires....

...I put a set-screw wheel on an axle, chucked it in my Dremel at about 30% speed, then used a cheap disposable razor to shape the sidewalls. I held the blades of the razor at about a 45 degree angle to the tread and sidewall of the tire. And the results were fine little marbles; I had feared cutting off long skinny strips as if I was shaving the tire, like you get with a wood plane. I didn't try to do anything to the tread/running surface of the tire, just tried to "knock the corners off" and make them look more tire-like, less like hockey pucks.

TOJ
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Championship Contender

Default First set of silicone tires trued

I've only done one set so far, and they seemed to true just fine. I began with fairly course wet n' dry sandpaper, dry, then finished up with something finer. Power supply set at about 5v, if I recall correctly, trying to keep heat buildup to a minimum.

Here's a pic. Sidewalls were also shaped, to give just enough gear clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Audi5.jpg (62.5 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Pinto_Girl; 04-21-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
National Racer
View Dave.616's Photo Album

Pinto Girl what grit paper did you use. Coarse______ Fine______
Old 04-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Championship Contender

Let's see, coarse was 80 or 100.

Fine was 240, I believe.

Your results may vary! And take it with a grain of salt, I'm still learning how to use the machine and have only done three sets of silicone tires to date.

Some concern that the tires are lots more sensitive to heat buildup than I thought, and once they're overheated they don't grip as well anymore. Take it slowly.