MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 01-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Novice Racer
View dolphinfan67's Photo Album

Default AFX Speed Steer Questions....

Can somebody give me some info on the old AFX Speed Steer trucks? I have seen some on Ebay that say 1979 as year made, slotless racing. What kind of chassis are these? Can they be converted to run on a slot track? Obviously the front axle must pivot? Any info would be great.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 PM
International Racer
View mandoman's Photo Album

Like most, or all, slotless racers, the Speed Steer had three pickup shoes. It is possible to make the Speed Steer into a slot car chassis by removing the center pickup shoe. However, doing so would require you to cut a hole up near the center front of the chassis that would accomodate some kind of guide pin. The ones I have seen have been done with metal pins, like those used on the G+ chassis. It looks to me like a tricky operation, as the chassis is weird up front. http://www.hoslotcars.com/cgi-bin/pic/l/***. I noticed in ones I have tried that once changed to a slotted version, the chassis doesn't run all that well. I suppose with enough tweeking you might be able to make it run well, but it would be easier to just buy the truck bodies and mount them on a slotted Specialty Chassis. There are so many slotted chassis types out there, that it seems kind of fruitless to cut up a slotless chassis because you like the body it sits under. The Speed Steer has side body mounts, just like the ones found on AFX, Magnatraction, G+ wide, Super Magnatraction, Tomy Turbo, Tomy Super G+, etc., not to mention Auto World. Auto World makes some Semi Truck bodies that fit the Specialty chassis, both their own, and the older Aurora AFX Specialty. I would imagine that the reverse is also true.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Novice Racer

Thanks mando!! Now, what the difference between the Magna-Traction chassis and the Specialty chassis? I sthe Specialty required for the semi truck bodies? Man, so much to re-learn.

Thanks, Chris
Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM
International Racer
View mandoman's Photo Album

Ok, here is a regular AFX Magnatraction chassis (picture by Kelly Pickell).

This is a Specialty chassis, but also magnatraction (picture by Kelly Pickell).

The Specialty chassis runs on the same principle as the regular Magnatraction, only it is elongated, using four gears on the gear plate, as opposed to three on the regular Magnatrction. The Specialty chassis allowed Aurora to expand body sizes to include Semi Trucks, Vans, Pickups, Dragsters, etc. Auto World also has there version of the Magnatraction chassis, AND the Specialty chassis, which should be interchangeable with the older Aurora AFX. Those chassis' are called the Xtraction, and Four Gear chassis'. Auto World has also introduced their own line of Specialty cars, like pickups, funny cars, and Semi Trucks. One huge difference between the older Magnatraction chassis', and the Xtraction chassis' is the use of more powerful armatures, and magnets. On top of that, Auto World has attached two neodymium magnets on the underside of the newer Four Gear Xtractions, so the cars grip the track nearly as well as the super magnetic bullet cars (Super G+, Patriots, etc.), but not quite as fast. Fast enough to keep you busy, though. Is that a clearer explanation? Go to the Auto World Website and check out there Products.

http://www.autoworldhobby.com/products.asp

Last edited by mandoman; 01-12-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Novice Racer

Yes, that is a great explanation. Thank you very much. To the best of my knowledge, the AFX trucks I had long ago had the same chassis as my cars...3 gear. I dont remember having differant chassis, but I may be wrong.
Thanks again,
Chris