MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 PM
World Champion
View dr vanski's Photo Album

Default Ringwood Festival Of Speed - August 8, 2011

The twists and turns of the 'Ring once again played host to the SS32 for some club racing action.

For an off season event there was a good turnout with Marek making the trek from Cornwall to take part in the festivities. Seven of the SS32s finest got together for some surprisingly fast and furious Grand Prix racing action. Three classes were on tap for the night: 50s front engined roadsters, 60s mid-engined machines, and 70s winged warriors.

What wasn't on tap for me were the cold beers I placed in Arthur's fridge the night before - hence the glass of Crown Royal in my pit area as opposed to said Stella.

First up were the 50s GP cars.

The Lancia team was out in force with two entries as were the silver arrows of the Mercedes Benz team. A Gordini, Vanwall, and Ferrari round out the field. After three five minute heats each, here's how they finished:

Next up, the 60s GP machines.

Two Porsche 804s, a Fergson, a pair of Ferraris, a Cooper and BRM (?) graced the grid.

Chris and Arthur had a some good dices up at the front with the rest of the field pretty tightly packed.

70s Winged Warriors:

March was on the march making up four of the seven entries. The field also contained a Williams and McLaren. Conspicuous in their absence was an entry from the Scuderia.

Mechanical failures and offs played a factor in this race. Those meaty rear tires really bounce once the car starts tumbling.

There are more photos from the night here. All in all, a great night with some very close racing. A hearty "thank-you" to Arthur for cooking up the scheme to race some cars not normally on the SS32 schedule, and for playing host in fine fashion. Next up: Vintage Prototype / Trans Am / NAStyCAB at the Maple Ridge TT on Wednesday August 17. I won't be there so I will most likely see you gentlemen (and beer rustlers) in the fall. Until then!

Last edited by dr vanski; 08-09-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Championship Contender
View ferrari1950's Photo Album

....my poor showing was due to the fact the cars were fine but the driver was broken....way too tired having pulled my own rikshaw all the way to Mississauga.....and the pull back today was wet.....had a very good time though...once again thanks Art for the hospitality and CR...Kevin for keeping me up till 2 am with capturing intruder stories and the rest of the crew for being there...Ray's new chopper frightened the neighbours with memories of the BinLaden compound assault but other than that things were calm.....and some dog parked his red Porsche out front...Drew some comments...get it Drew...do I have to explain?....right color wrong make

Good day,eh!

(third from last picture in album, me in background hoping to sleep on couch after drinking Stella with CR chasers...ssssshhhhhhh, do not tell Van)

Last edited by ferrari1950; 08-09-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
National Racer
View enrouge's Photo Album

Wow, looks like I missed another great event, great photos by Van (I suppose) as
well. Finally got the IV out today so I hope I can make the next event, some great
looking, well turned cars as well. Dr Evil???????????????????

Cheers Guys

Paddy
Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 PM
World Champion
View dr vanski's Photo Album

Great to have you out, Marek. I heard that when you are in Rome, they do as you do.

Hey Paddy! Great to hear from you. It will be good to have you out racin' again!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Top Qualifier
View JohnnySlots's Photo Album

What's with this Kevin guy? He's invited to join the club and then he proceeds to take the final spot on the podium all the time. Does he not know his membership is probationary for 3 months and that if he continues to shut the rest of the members out that he might not be asked to take up full time membership?

All kidding aside, nice run KK!
Of course congrats to Art and Chris as well.

And thanks to KK and Dr. V for loaners in the 50's and 70's classes.
It was a fun night running nothing but open wheelers.

Last edited by JohnnySlots; 08-09-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 AM
National Racer
View KK Racing's Photo Album

Thanks for a fun evening guy's. It was a pleasure meeting you Merek. Great photos again Van.
There were some great looking cars in the field.
KK
Old 08-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Championship Contender
View f1nutz's Photo Album

Awesome pics and a great race night!
Thanks for hosting Art. Already retuning my cars for next time.
Paddy glad to here things are going well. Hope to see you out soon.

Bill
Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Championship Contender
View Old23's Photo Album

If an outsider may be permitted to comment...

Looks like you guys had a great evening of racing. Nice to see an all-F1 event with three classic eras represented and an interesting mix of cars on track. And what a track! It seems each new iteration of the "Ring" is more impressive than the last.

Cheers to Art, Chris and the other SS32 guys I met in Cornwall a couple of years back. I hope we can mix it up again sometime in the future.

Van, thanks for posting the photos and the commentary for the larger world to see.

Old23
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 AM
National Racer
View lgl007's Photo Album

****, so sorry I missed all the fun. Sorry guys but life sometimes gets in the way of slot car racing I really hope to be at the next one...

A big CONGO RATZ to Kev for the podiums and Chris and Art for the usual one two's

I finally gotta meet this Marek guy in person... he keeps eluding me...

Cheers guys and see you all next week at my place.

-Greg
Old 08-12-2011, 03:19 PM
National Racer
View racer92's Photo Album

Default Great Turn Out

Wow great pic's looks like everybody had a great time.Good to here from you Paddy hope to see you out soon.