AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Championship Contender
View jethro's Photo Album

Default Modified at ZoeMaxx

Modified racers in the Southwest Division O132SRL met at ZoeMaxx Raceway in Loveland Ohio last night for the 1st round of competition. Lanes were filled for two rounds leading up to the championship run. We walked into a slot car palace filled with Pizza and an unbelievable new track to run!! Ahhh…finally Ross’s track. Had heard about it, missed a few previous events and now it was at hand. What a man-cave this is!

The first round started off as the Zoey show. Man that kid can drive! Zoey warmed up a few minutes and then trounced the field – establishing the best lap and highest lap count for the night. Maxx and Zoey are amazing drivers. I’d venture to say that they are the best young triggers in the country.

Later on, we put the “in-line” up against the sidewinder versions. And though it was still a race; the sidewinders were the better handlers on the ZoeMaxx.

Ross’s track is perfect - mastering it is a unique challenge. It has a trigger frequency that approaches a large plastic layout. And it flows in rhythm like a familiar wood track. Full of action….at the limit of intensity. Reminded me of running the A1 Grand Prix cars without magnets on the Catalunya. It took me some time to get the guts to nail the throttle all the way through the bank, but no kiddin’ it sails right on through. Just be ready when you come out of that bank because the rest is some serious driving.

The modified cars are plenty fast and very much in full control. Setting up a modified car for minimum weight on this raceway is probably not the best for most trigger fingers at first. I moved from 78 grams up to 88 and found a more forgiving ride that let me learn quickly without too many off’s. We had a field that included the Slot.it McLaren, Audi, Porsche, Daytona Prototype, ScaleAuto Radical, and the SCX Audi. One of eight cars did not go the distance. Ross sheared a crown gear early in his first round. Bugger! We had each type of legal tire in the field on various cars. Before the night was over I had tried most of the cars in the field with the various tires. Personally, I can’t say that any particular one stood out as better than another. When it came to cars, the SCX Pro Audi was the top car followed closely by the Slot.it Audi.

By the end of the night we completed the league 1/32 modified class, a round of 1/32 open class, and some Flexy’s that just rocked! As far as league competition:

Bob Bellamini 10 points........Dave Page 9 points........Ross 8 points

Ross has the numbers so I leave it to him to include.

Round 1.....Zoey...........Steve Nemoff........Rod Evans........Bob Guyton

Round 2.....Ross..........Maxx......Dave Page.........Bob Bellamini

Championship Round.....Ross.....Bob Bellamini....Dave Page.....Bob Guyton

The Ohio 1/32 Scale Racing League extends its thanks to SCX, Slot Car Corner, Difalco Design, BRS Hobbies, Cincy Slots, and Hot Slots 132 for sponsoring our race series by providing prizes for the entire statewide league competitions. This round we especially recognize SCX for the Sigma Grand Prix Protoype. Maxx likes it!!!

Last edited by jethro; 10-02-2011 at 08:19 AM.