Carrera Slot Cars
Fly Model Car
BRM Model Cars
NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Manufacturer's Corner > SCX > SCX Digital

View Poll Results: How do you create your layouts?
Ultimate Racer 35 37.63%
Track power 35 37.63%
Other software (please specify in a post) 5 5.38%
Pencil / paper 7 7.53%
Trial / error 18 19.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Pit Crew

Default Autocad

Much like the sketchup approach i use autocad for my SCX digital designs. It is easy for me to use since i am a building engineer and now the program well. It gives me great freedom to build a layout and also make sure it will fit in my livingroom.

I drew all the trackpieces i have in 3d (not a completed project yet) and can easily build behind my computer.. it takes some time but it is completely hassle free.

If anyone would like the .dwg file witch the track pieces just let me know, i will be happy to share.

See my 2 examples wich will barely fit in my house (also i would appreciate some input on my track designs)

Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Championship Contender
View fl_slotter's Photo Album

Ultimate Racer is what I use. To describe it, I would use the terminology "marginally satisfactory".

It takes awhile to learn how to use it. There are many 'situations' that you will encounter while using it.

One of those situations happens when you use 4 or 6 lane layouts. Since I had it crash multiple times when running 4 lane configurations, I simply do not use the 4 lane configuration any more. I think I might be smart enough to decide that I can do a 2 lane configuration by using outside radius and inside radius rather then letting UR do the math. I've never had any situations since then.

Just one of the things you need to familiarize yourself with.

Another issue that I find 'cute' is if you decide to remove a crossover or replace a crossover, then both lanes are tied together, even when you remove or replace the other crossover. But if you use the 'delete' key to get rid of the crossover, then just insert a straight section, all is well.

The 'properties' is very interesting as it allows you to find lap length for both lanes, amount of left and right turns in degrees and I like that feature.

Something else that is quite humorous is the integrity of the error messages. One of my favorites is when you attempt to 'supress gap' on the configuration it will tell you that the sides are not parallel. Obviously one of those 'I don't know what to put in this message' type of wordings that software developers come up with in the wee hours of the morning.

But knowing the pitfalls - and you can only find them by trying to do things - I find it does the job I need and one can not beat the price.

Personally, if the developor were to come up with a correction package for the issues that he knows exist, I could be tempted to help support them.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Pit Crew

Default Autocad also can do this ;)

Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 AM
Pit Crew

Default PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassie View Post
Much like the sketchup approach i use autocad for my SCX digital designs. It is easy for me to use since i am a building engineer and now the program well. It gives me great freedom to build a layout and also make sure it will fit in my livingroom.

I drew all the trackpieces i have in 3d (not a completed project yet) and can easily build behind my computer.. it takes some time but it is completely hassle free.

If anyone would like the .dwg file witch the track pieces just let me know, i will be happy to share.

See my 2 examples wich will barely fit in my house (also i would appreciate some input on my track designs)

PM sent
Old 03-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Championship Contender
View lindseyangell's Photo Album

Default Carrera Track Planner

Carrera works great...however IF I am laying out a new track I may jut lay it out in pieces and make my decreasing radius or increasing radius turns and all before I put sections together. I already know IF I want a short tight (technical track) or one that is opened up for speed. I prefer to mix them up when I am the Race Director to keep things fair and to make sure that they kids know that they will need to change gears next week...
Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 PM
International Racer
View tossedman's Photo Album

I use Adobe Illustrator to design my routed tracks. Works well 'cause I know how to use it. I've played with Autocad but it's way more work 'cause I don't know how to use it well.

Todd
Old 07-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Novice Racer
View Bilby's Photo Album

I use Track Power, always fun to just sit down and design a layout from scratch on the computer first before getting the track out. Having the stock list is really handy so I know how much of each piece I have left.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

TrackPower, for sure. I tried several others, but none were as intuitive to use as TrackPower, plus it just looks darn good.
With UltimateRacer no longer being free, it might lose some ground to new users looking for a good planner. The main reason people settled for its awkward interface was that it was free.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Championship Contender
View Porsche Racer's Photo Album

Another vote here for TrackPower. Ease of use and full featured are it's strong points.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Novice Racer

trackpower, easy to use and works great.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 AM
National Racer
View JasonB's Photo Album

Ultimate Racer. More features, more track libraries.

Why no mention of SlotMan in the poll? It's free. Or RailModeller for Macs.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 PM
National Racer
View JasonB's Photo Album

Just realised this is in the SCX digital section. That will be why there is no mention of SlotMan.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM
National Racer
View msantti's Photo Album

Bought TrackPower.

Looking forward to giving it a go.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:02 AM
Novice Racer
View joe88's Photo Album

Default Track power

I used track power for my layout. Still some trial and error because I wasn't able to get the grid exactly to the size of my table, which is a large "L" shape.
Close enough for government work.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:46 AM
Novice Racer
View jasperok's Photo Album

Ultimate racer for me.
Its almost a hobby in itself!
The range of pieces in many scales with the sxr libraries make it a joy planning routed tracks as well. Also if a piece isn't in the library its not rocket science to make your own. Liking the export options especially dxf format.