MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Championship Contender
View dw5555's Photo Album

Default Soft Carrera tires

I'm a big fan of stock rubber as long as their trued. I have several cars with urethanes and have found little to no difference in swapping from the stock rubber on my plastic track, running mags. My question is:

Is a soft tire compound generally better than a harder compound for grip? I always thought it was.

Case in point is a Morgan Aeromax I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Out of the box this car has alot of mag, very soft tires BUT you would think it was a no mag car. This car has it's tail out even at slow speeds. I trued the tires after it's initial drive and even picked up an additional 15g of downforce but it made no difference.
Before I start playing around with the mags, I need some thoughts on the tire compound. Unfortunately I don't have any tires to swap around, these are some big rims with very little sidewall. I've got nothing close to this size to try out. Thoughts?
Dave
Old 05-05-2012, 01:44 PM
International Racer
View DE38's Photo Album

You say the car has alot of mag downforce, with that the car really shoudnt be tailing out very much even with harder less grippy tires.
I might take a look first at the front, is the axle free, it might just be a case of no lube, even if you have a little resistance it will cause the car to be loose,just a thought.

DE38
Old 05-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Championship Contender
View DrumPhil's Photo Album

Dave,
Have you trued the WHEELS? Front and rear? If the wheels are off-kilter, truing the tires is not going to help much. My Morgan actually handles quite well, so it's not just the car model.

I have an Audi R8 that was very loose, no matter how much I worked on the rear end. After running the front wheels and tires on a Tire Razor, the car moved much closer to the rest of my pack. A bumpy front wheel was keeping it from ever finding stability in corners.

Phil