Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Manufacturer's Corner > Racer / Sideways

Racer - Sideways

Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Championship Contender
View Modlerbob's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by 132slotcar.us View Post
We've got this car listed for $64.99 US, free shipping to US and Canadian addresses, and will stand with that price on all preorders placed for this car before July 6, 2012.

At this price point I will probably be adding two or three of these to my stable of cars. Now I just have to convince my buddy FL_Slotter that group 5 will make an awesome addition to our racing program. I see myself getting the Capri, the BMW M1 and the Lancia Beta
Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Top Qualifier
View JohnnySlots's Photo Album

Looks good .... any idea how long before the Porsches come out?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Club Racer
View ESPSIX's Photo Album

Yes, these are a great looking car, but, 4 of the 5 that were purchased and ran at my local track had issues that they shouldn't of.
mine had the interior tray fall out at the front when the car was opened up for prerunning oil, and it looks like there is no way other than gluing to hold it in, the collar on the rear axle had a stripped thread, so couldn't be used untill a replacement was installed, i also noticed rust on all the grub screws, it also has a large "superglue" fingerprint on the bonnet.
another car had the interior fall out completely, so was put back in it's case by it's owner to be fixed when at home.
third car had a spur gear nealy strip within 2 minutes of first running the mesh was so bad.
fourth car had a warped chassis like i've never seen before and a sticker on the case pointing out the bad paint flaw.
the fifth car was not ran, so no known issues.
how were these cars passed fo QC at the factory?
I was intending to get all the releases of these and the other Grp5 cars, but i'll now hold off and see if issues like these a fixed in the next release before handing over my hard earned.

Oh, they not only look great, but are very fast once sorted.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Club Racer
View -GR-'s Photo Album

I am waiting for them to hit the states but after hearing the issues you have had I am curious to see how other cars fair.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Championship Contender
View Modlerbob's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPSIX View Post
Yes, these are a great looking car, but, 4 of the 5 that were purchased and ran at my local track had issues that they shouldn't of.
mine had the interior tray fall out at the front when the car was opened up for prerunning oil, and it looks like there is no way other than gluing to hold it in, the collar on the rear axle had a stripped thread, so couldn't be used untill a replacement was installed, i also noticed rust on all the grub screws, it also has a large "superglue" fingerprint on the bonnet.
another car had the interior fall out completely, so was put back in it's case by it's owner to be fixed when at home.
third car had a spur gear nealy strip within 2 minutes of first running the mesh was so bad.
fourth car had a warped chassis like i've never seen before and a sticker on the case pointing out the bad paint flaw.
the fifth car was not ran, so no known issues.
how were these cars passed fo QC at the factory?
I was intending to get all the releases of these and the other Grp5 cars, but i'll now hold off and see if issues like these a fixed in the next release before handing over my hard earned.

Oh, they not only look great, but are very fast once sorted.
Looks like to me you got sent a pre-production batch. That's why I rarely buy anything all the way up to a 1:1 from the first batch. I think you should check with your source as to how they obtained your cars before the official release date. The factory in China may be selling rejects out the back door. This has happened in the past with HO train locomotives.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 PM
National Racer
View Manimmal's Photo Album

Na, they came in through the normal channels, and Marco at Racer even told the Aussies via Auslot that they had arrived. Oh, my car is the one that had the sticker pointing to the paint defect, I took that one as I work there and took one for the team. It turned out my car was the fastest on the night, close in performance and behavior to Slot.it's Lola, and I expect it to be faster once sorted.
For me there were no 'deal breaker' issues, I think it's more a matter of our expectations for the quality of the sideways product is very high, with strong precedence set by the Riley and Dallara.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Club Racer
View tomato_007's Photo Album

I received the Ford Capri from Sideways meanwhile and made some photos together with the Capri from Fly on my wooden track. The Sideways is even a little more detailled than the Fly. Both cars are very close regarding the proportions and dimensions.
Have a look!

Sideways on the left side

Sideways in front

Sideways lower car

Sideways is the lower car

Best regards,
Thomas
Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Club Racer
View hiuy's Photo Album

motorpod not good , motor sat loose after 2 laps on track .
there's no way you can secure it with screws .

replaced it with slot-it pod offset 0.5 , much better

in my eye's bad design flaw , marco ?
any input on this ?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM
SCI advertiser
View MMRacer's Photo Album

Hi hiuy, motor mount was designed like this right to avoid extra screws, theoretically motor should stay in position just with tabs in touch with rear motor adapter. So that please check tabs are rigth
and/or place them in straight position well in touch with plastic rear adapter. Also check screws on top of front adapter and tighten them up. probably from production screws are not too tight.
Marco
Old 07-19-2012, 05:37 AM
Club Racer
View hiuy's Photo Album

hi marco
thx for the answer , but still not convinced as you can see in the pic here ,
what is also the problem with the tabs that there is some flex in these
and the left tab here is not even touching the pod as you see in the space between the 2red arrows.
and its bended like you said.
[/url]
[/url]
i'm not here to destroy your product just to point out this prob i have .
have many of your cars 20+ and wil keep buying them resins/sideways
Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 PM
International Racer
View Biggy's Photo Album

Well the introduction went well enough here, got it three hours ago and I'll invite more of them back to the house. Body was fabulous, interior tray tab not quite right but fixed it in two minutes with a dab of glue. Chassis was really well thought out with one exception. The issue that became apparent immediately was the rear uprights are just a tad flexible, this one is going to chatter some.... still it runs pretty well. Once you pick out which one of the (three enclosed) rear axle bushing mounts you want to use this should be fixable if your rules allow it or drop in a Slot-It pod. The wire management is similar to one I use although I leave an open space to slide the wire out for working on the car. Some may find it binds the pod a bit.

I did some minor blueprinting, put the magnut in it's appropriate place (drawer), threw on a pair of #1408 Supertires and the car came in at 80 grams. After a few laps on the test track the car appears to be very well balanced and quick, the vote is in, this is going to be a winner!! Group 5 club racing is going to be huge.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:15 AM
SCI advertiser
View MMRacer's Photo Album

Hi everibody from Racer,
Thanking all of you for comments about new Group 5 line just would like to give a brief information
about new tires Sideways production released together with SW14 Capri Zakspeed Wurth.

We now have two tire lines named as Prospeed (indicated for tracks with higher grip - Ninco) and HiGrip (for use on smooth track surfaces as Carrera,Scalextric and Polistil).
Following the complete stock codes you may check with your usual dealer.

PROSPEED Line
PS1Sw Soft 20x11 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3
PS1Mw Medium 20x11 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3
PS1Hw Hard 20x11 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3

PS1S Soft 19x10 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3
PS1M Medium 19x10 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3
PS1H Hard 19x10 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3

HIGRIP Line
HG1Sw Soft 20x11 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3
HG1Mw Medium 20x11 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3
HG1Hw Hard 20x11 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3

HG1S Soft 19x10 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3
HG1M Medium 19x10 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3
HG1H Hard 19x10 - suitable for rims from 15,8 to 17,3

In addition all spare parts relevant to Capri Zakspeed are also available
including white body kit (body only) as follows:

SWCZ/A Chassis
SWCZ/A1 Flexy chassis
SWCZ/B mirrors + wiper + exhaust
SWCZ/C aerofoil
SWCZ/D transparents
SWCZ/E lexan interior

SWK/CZ1A Body kit

SWM/AW Angle winder motor mount + adapters

SWB01 bushings

G5R01 rim inserts type BBS

Thanks
RACER Slot cars
Old 07-23-2012, 06:25 AM
National Racer
View Jesla's Photo Album

That some good news and info right there.....

Thank you.....
Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
National Racer
View Thirty's Photo Album

Default tire size

Lacking a gauge, I think it would be useful for option tires to be described as suitable for specific cars, rather than wheel sizes: for the Grp 5 capri, you have a choice of these tires, for instance. Slot.it does this tire choice the same way, and I understand why, but I think makes it more difficult to know, for stupid people like myself, what is the appropriate tire. Slot.it had a Nissan that came with a 20mm tire and was undriveable; Maurizio said the tire should be 19mm, even though every other Nissan had the 20s.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 AM
Championship Contender
View fl_slotter's Photo Album

I received my Sideways Capri on Monday from CincySlots. A good looking car and after some checking all the freeplay and adjustments, ran very quietly on the power supply. I was happy with my purchase.

Then I put it on the track and things changed - drastically!

After only a few laps it became painfully aware that this car really ROCKS! The power band of the Flat-6 motor just adds to the enjoyment of this car.

Since we race with magnets at our club and I was the only one with a Sideways Group 5 car, I got to set it up my way. I chose to go with only 2X the vehicle weight in magnetic downforce. After making sure on the Magnet Marshal, I saw that my total weight was 232 grams, I took the car out for some nice, easy laps just to get a feel for it. After a few laps, the balance, smooth power and great implementation of a superb chassis design started to be seen. You can slide this car around a turn, yet still maintain total control because of the smooth power form it's motor. A true joy to drive.

A few of the club members got a chance to drive the car and I think there was a certain amount of positive enthusiasm was heard from them about putting together a bit of Group 5 racing at our club.

From my perspective, it is a very solid car, well made and finished. But the best part is just how dang good it drives.

Great job Sideways!