MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 07-03-2015, 05:42 AM
Club Racer
View brighamdmo's Photo Album

Default Non-Magnatraction Advice Needed

Greetings! I have accumulated a bunch of AFX non-magnatraction chassis, and I need your advice on sprucing them up. Not for racing, but just to make nice basement runners. In particular, I would like to know what you advise for commutator brushes. Any other advice you can give on rehabbing these old birds would also be appreciated.

Just to let you know, I am replacing old tires with silicone rears and o-ring fronts, and replacing the plastic guides with Tomy steel guide pins. Old pick-ups are being polished and cleaned or replaced with Model Motoring reproduction flat (ski-type) pick-ups.

Specifically, are the original domed v-grooved brushes OK (I can get NOS AFX ones and Model Motoring reproductions to replace worn brushes), or should I go with aftermarket T-jet brushes (Wizzard, JB Thunderbrushes, etc.)?

Many thanks for any advice you can give. And, have a great 4th of July weekend!

Dale in Mid-MO
Old 07-03-2015, 07:06 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Modern Auto World or Dash brushes look the same as the old Aurora A/FX brushes and may perform a little better. I do race cars with the A/FX chassis and I prefer flat topped brushes. I use Wizzard E85 brushes and Slottech 1447 brushes are similar. If you use a flat type brush they will work better if you make a single shallow groove or X on the bottom to keep them from spinning.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:07 AM
National Racer
View smalltime's Photo Album

Wizzard or Slotech brushes are fine, you will need to notch the backside for proper fitment. As well as reducing overall tension on the brush springs.....carefully.

Also, you may want to break the edges of top side on the brushes. I do this by folding over a cloth shop towel three or four times, and placing a sheet of 1500 grit wet-dry sandpaper on top. Then sand gently in a circular motion. This puts a perfect broken edge on the contact area.

Avoid the silver/carbon brushes for roadcoarse use. They are notorious for glazing over, and causing motor problems. They also are known to chip off small particles and become stuck in between the comm sections, causing a short and eventually burning up your armature.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Club Racer

Thanks, Rich and Smalltime! This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for.

Again, THANKS! Dale
Old 07-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Championship Contender
View BIG E's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
Modern Auto World or Dash brushes look the same as the old Aurora A/FX brushes and may perform a little better. I do race cars with the A/FX chassis and I prefer flat topped brushes. I use Wizzard E85 brushes and Slottech 1447 brushes are similar. If you use a flat type brush they will work better if you make a single shallow groove or X on the bottom to keep them from spinning.
Rich, so far I've only tested two Dash chassis, using an MG 20 volt 10 amp power supply on a Max Trax 58' road course, with an 18' main straight. On both chasssis I noticed quite a bit of scoring on the comm . I removed the Dash brushes from both cars, cleaned up the comms and installed my favorite, the Wizzard E85 brushes. The cars ran smoother and cooler. I've removed all of the early A/FX style 'wedge' or 'domed piston' shaped brushes from all my pancake motor runner/racers over the past few years. Thanks again for your valued input on this and many other topics here. -- Ernie :>)
Old 07-03-2015, 01:27 PM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

I am not a big fan of the A/FX style brushes because they often do not ride flat on the commutator and will only be making contact on one edge. I do have five Dash cars set up in what I call Fray Lite trim that I use for IROC style racing, those use the stock Dash brushes and I have not seen any scoring. A common problem with the Dash chassis is that there can be some flash at the bottom of the brush holes. If you do not remove that you are much more likely to score the commutator .
The are issues unique to the Dash cars that I have addressed in my article on them.

Last edited by RichD; 07-03-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Club Racer
View tabcomary's Photo Album

Default A/fx

I have found it much easier to adjust the original style stepped pick-up, as compared to the Magna Traction-style flat pick-up. You may also find that the o-ring tire replacement leaves the chassis a bit too low for casual "basement running". PM me if you would like some larger O.D. front tires.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Club Racer

Thanks for the good advice, Tab! I do have several sizes of o-rings to play with, but thanks so much for your kind offer. I am using 2 mm cross-section "thickness" by 6 mm inside diameter o-rings, and they seem to be working OK. I will give my larger ones a try, based on your advice.

As to the pick-ups, I think I understand the issues with making the flat "ski-style" ones work. I found some good SCI threads on that topic, and the advice was to bend a gentle, rounded bow into them (I think that came from RichD) to get them to ride flat and not "plow" the rails. Again, that seems to be working. But, if you know a source of the long or short-stepped AFX pick-ups, I would be glad to try those, too.

Again, many thanks, Tab, for your very kind and expert advice! And, have a Happy 4th of July!

Dale
Old 07-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Championship Contender
View BIG E's Photo Album

Slot Car Central in Syracuse, NY has the original 1974 issue Aurora #1378 AFX "Power Steering" kits listed on it's website (I think it's listed in the G-Plus chassis parts section). They also come with a snap in steel guide pin (like the one on the original G-plus cars), which fits all AFX chassis, and will run in the slot of old Aurora, Tyco, Atlas, ect., tracks. It will also run in Max Trax without bottoming out. The kits are rare and cost a few bucks, but you might want to try one and see if it gives you any ideas before deciding on what to do next. Find one or two other items so you can get your money's worth on the priority shipping deal. Bob'a decent guy, has a ton of "NOS" HO slot stuff in his warehouse, and can be seen at the NJ and other northeastern US mainland shows.
I love the PS kits on my AFX Magna Traction cars, some of which were installed when the cars were first purchased! Hope this gives you another option. Enjoy... Ernie :>)
Old 07-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Club Racer

Thank you, Ernie! I have ordered several times from Bob at SCC, and every order has gone smooth as silk. I had not been looking in the G-Plus car category on his site, so mucho thanks so much for the great tip. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply to my query! Dale in Mid-MO
Old 07-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Championship Contender
View BIG E's Photo Album

Yeah, I gotta talk to him about that. Those Power Steering kits should really be listed in the AFX section. I was up there last weekend with my good friend Bob "Mr. Aurora" Beers. What a road trip, five hours each way from Bob's place in eastern CT. All three of us sat around laughing it up with slot car jokes and BS. Man, if anyone's ever in the area, this guy has a warehouse FULL of NOS HO slot stuff, and a pretty cool showroom, too! -- Ernie :>)
Old 07-06-2015, 05:16 AM
Championship Contender
View oneredz's Photo Album

I have PS kits on a few cars and they work well. Nice and smooth on the track and handle very well in a slide.

I wish someone would make repros of them. I would like to put them on all my non-"Slide Guide" pancake cars.

Last edited by oneredz; 07-06-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Club Racer

Thanks, Oneredz, for chiming in. And, thanks to all of you who have helped me out. I really appreciate it!

OK, a couple more questions, this time about motor magnets for non-magnatraction AFX. Are the motor mags for the AFX non-magnatractions different from those of the AFX magnatractions? I was goofing around with different armatures and magnets from my Autoworld (AW) X-tractions, and while the magnets from the AW X-tractions would fit into AFX magnatraction chassis, those same AW X-traction mags would not fit the AFX non-magnatraction chassis (too tall to fit, I think). Will the Dash magnets made for T-Jets fit the non-mag chassis, and if so, are they a good option?

Just looking for a bit more oomph from the non-mag powerplant and wondering if the Dash magnets would help.

Thanks (in advance)!

Dale
Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 PM
National Racer
View smalltime's Photo Album

The Magna Traction magnets are too tall.

Any T-jet style magnet will fit and work well. Although, if you're road racing them, I find that using a little weaker magnet is WAY more drivable. It lets the car roll the center of the corners.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:36 PM
International Racer
View Speedynh's Photo Album

my two cents:
afx non-mag magnets may be fractionally wider (or longer) than the t-jet ones so they sometimes require sanding to swap in the other direction, but like said above, they are for the most part interchangeable and the are same height; they got taller when the magna cars were made so that they stick down through the deeper pockets in those chassis further, closer to the track. I've found that the dash magnets are pretty decent for non-mag and are readily available. Rich D. has some good technical articles.
I hate cars with weak magnets and no brakes, so I put in the best ones that I can find. I can always turn my brake pot down, or just deal with it, but I can't drive something that coasts too far.
speedy