AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 05-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Championship Contender
View Alcopa's Photo Album

Post 1970's Grand Prix Regulations

Gang-

As we hashed them out over the last few weeks, here are the Regulations. I have edited the 'base' regulations according to the 'Specifics' for the Class because they were confusing and, in many cases, 180 degrees to the later 'rules'. If you want to view the 'changes', please open the "Modern LMP Regulations' and compare.

1970’s Grand Prix Cars (Cosworth Era)

Based on cars that ran in World Championship Grands Prix from 1970 -1977 –

Baseline Regulations - Applies to all Groups and Sanctioned Events
Version 1.0 – January 2015

1. No Magnets are allowed

2. Weight may be added inside the chassis

3. Chassis /body may be sanded to allow for body float

4. Only one guide per car

5. Only hard bodies are allowed – plastic, fiberglass, resin or 3D. No Vac-formed bodies

6. Where prototype car has them- front and rear window glass are required

7. Prototypical wheels are required (molded plastic, inserts on machined aluminum wheels)
These wheels should be of scale size, width, height and design type. Inserts must be on cars at start of each race.

8. Rubber or urethane tires only, unless the rules call for a spec tire. (no silicones) All tires must be commercially available to all competitors. Tires may be trued and glued except in Classes requiring ‘hand out’ tires.

1970’s Grand Prix Cars are a MODIFIED CLASS:

- Ready to Run cars and Custom bodies on RTR Chassis.

Stock body and chassis that came with the body must be used. (Fly, Flyslot or Scalextric only)

All cars must run with ‘as-supplied’ stock components, including motors, axles, gearing, and wheels. This means no 'after-market' aluminium wheels. You can switch plastic wheels from any allowable 'stock' cars from Fly, Scaley or Flyslot or other makers plastic wheels.

Motor type must be Fly, Flyslot or Scaley ‘as supplied’ in their 1970’s F-1 cars

Guide may be changed but must retain stock position.

1970’s GP Specific Rules:

‘Stock’ bodies and ‘Stock’ chassis may switched Resin/plastic bodies may be used on ‘stock’ plastic or resin chassis (Fly, Flyslot, Scaley –resin repros allowed). Fully custom plastic or resin chassis, if of the same or greater weight than ‘stock’ may be used but must be approved prior to the race by the host.

Replacement tires (rubber or urethane only) may be used –but must be of prototypical size and shape.

Width of car at front and rear wheels must not exceed that of ‘stock’ offerings in the class. Measurements to be published soon…

Cars with front suspension and or steering my be replaced by a solid axle or stubs –but must retain stock plastic wheels. No set-screw wheel, axle or gears may be used.

Weight may be added to the underneath of the chassis, but must not be visible from above. Metallic weight surfaces must be protected by tape or plastic where contact with the track rail or tape is possible.

Cars must appear as prototype for each race. Wings, airbox, motor detail and other parts must be on the model at the start of each heat. If a car loses a part during the race, it may continue until repairs can be made at the end of the heat.

OK, Gents -- you still have a few weeks but you can get started on your favorites!!

Steve C.

Last edited by Alcopa; 06-11-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Clarification of wheels -tires
Old 05-27-2015, 12:30 AM
National Racer
View brightpuma's Photo Album

Doesn't this describe a "stock" class, not a "modified" class? Sounds like pretty much everything would be stock...
Old 05-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Championship Contender

The 'Modified' allows you to use resin bodies and to switch 'stock' components around, i.e. you could run your Scaley M23 chassis, gears and tires under a Flyslot March body if you wished... but other that, it's pretty close to 'stock'...
Old 05-27-2015, 11:03 PM
National Racer
View brightpuma's Photo Album

I see... silly Puma...
Old 06-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Championship Contender

Default Clarification of wheels-tires

There is apparently some confusion regarding the usage of wheels and tires. This is because the 'set' rules for Modified class allows a switch to aluminum set screw etc. However, the specific rules for this class (as posted further on) restricts wheels to 'plastic' and 'stock' as on the allowable car chassis.

Tires may be rubber or urethane --Club Tires, Paul Gage etc. and may be glued and trued..

I think we all get the idea of what we are trying to do here --so if you see something that looks like a loophole, I expect you to bring it to our attention, not try to drive your transporter thru it. And if you think it's questionable -- then you should question it!!

SC
Old 06-12-2015, 06:30 AM
National Racer
View Big Bill's Photo Album

I picked up a Scalextric Lotus Type 72 last night. In looking at it it is going to be a chore to just get the Mag out, let alone getting inside for weight and wiring fixes. My new favorite Class.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:27 AM
Championship Contender

Bill --just grind it off (wear eye protection) -it's really a thin magnet!!!

SC
Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM
National Racer

Thanks Steve, I thought I heard you say that last Sat. If I remember correctly your(or Ernies) # 10 car had a lead strip on the bottom of the chassis? I am tiring to get up the nerve to try and remove the body, to see if the wires are long enough and maybe replace the guide. Any suggestions for a guide? Thanks Bill
Old 06-14-2015, 11:07 AM
Championship Contender

Bill -- Scaleauto --I'll have to look at the package --but Ernie also has the specs. You have to cut off the shaft but they worked well on the 60's cars---
Old 06-15-2015, 06:57 AM
National Racer

Wow I tried to remove the body no joy. it looks like I will need to cut the lines that run from the engine thru the rear bulk head. i havent done it yet still looking for other options, started the grinding to remove the Mag. Sweet car.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Championship Contender

wait till you get better tires on it!! I also have the correct decals to 'finish' the car, if you'd like...
Old 06-26-2015, 12:55 PM
Championship Contender
View MT Tam I am's Photo Album

So I now have my McLaren M23 ready to run. What a pain. I was so careful not to break anything and succeded. These cars are so fragile, both the lead wires just fell off, one repairable the other not. I did own a replacement part. Took out the mag put in some lead and sanded the tires.

I felt proud of my work and showed it to Jay. I dropped the crystal box I had the car in, and managed to break the tail and engine cowling.

I then ran it at 11.25 volts and it is about as fast as a Scalextric GT car only a lot more managable not being top heavy. It has a tendency to be tail out but never managed to make it come out of the slot.

Are there tires available for this car, or will we use club tires? The car drives well enough on stock tires but you know upgrades are preferable.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:12 PM
National Racer
View falcons707's Photo Album

I haven't had the guts to open mine yet but I know ernie has club tires for us to use.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Novice Racer

All
have tires/flylotus 78 fly march(yes they are diffirent)scalx m23/312b and lotus tyr /lotus 72 and older scalx cars from steve with side letters raised you can come by anytime before 10pm but call so i know to stay home for next 3days of vacation.or next week between 5pm/10pm

Ernie

ps (nate your frt end on lotus is done)
Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Championship Contender
View MT Tam I am's Photo Album

Let us not forget $5 for Ernie and his creative streak. Ernie please remind me if I forget too.