AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 03-02-2018, 12:19 PM
International Racer
View k0z0oo1's Photo Album

Default 2018 season questions

Hello all,

We currently have 9 ovals for the 2018 schedule. We have 19 cars for the COY class and 18 cars for the COT class.

I have a few questions, and would appreciate some feedback from everyone.

Question for Entrants

To extend the schedule, the idea of adding up to two road course races was proposed. Some series background, there has been up to three road races in a season for the first 3 years or so. What is your opinion of adding two road races? We need to have a firm decision on this soon so everyone can finish building their cars.

Question for race hosts

Our car count has grown once again, and we are nearing 40 total cars. Early seasons races were set up in a qualifier/main format. Later seasons all cars competed in the race. Should each class be limited to 20 cars each, or should have a qualifying session for every race and only allow the top 15 or 20 in the main? If the latter, the cars that did not qualify would be given points from qualifying position.

I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Thank you,
Scott
Director, DaVols Forums Cup Proxy
Old 03-02-2018, 01:32 PM
National Racer
View bigtwin's Photo Album

Dear Director,

👍👍 For adding road course. S&S will proudly host since Crestview Speedway has since been retired from the circuit, like North Wilkesboro. I feel a decision should be made sooner than later, so car setup can be addressed.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:57 PM
International Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtwin View Post
Dear Director,

👍👍 For adding road course. S&S will proudly host since Crestview Speedway has since been retired from the circuit, like North Wilkesboro. I feel a decision should be made sooner than later, so car setup can be addressed.
Sam, with all due respect... NEPA hosts 3 oval races. We are not hosting a 4th race, nor are we dropping an oval race for a road course. We have already discussed this. Not to mention it would be a huge advantage to all of us from NEPA...

GTOking has offered to host a 2nd race on his roval, so we are looking for another entrant, not from NEPA, with a road course to step up to host a round
Old 03-02-2018, 03:55 PM
National Racer
View bigtwin's Photo Album

I recall the discussion. But if you’re polling all entrants, I still want to offer my opinion. I don’t see it that way. I see it as just one more night to get together to have fun with slotcars. As for advantages? There’s an advantage for anyone tuning, then driving cars on their own ovals, when the schedule lands on their tracks... that’s just gonna happen. For several years we used the Artin oval in NEPA to tune, then raced on it. Currently, we have one oval in within 30 miles of the other 2 in the series to tune on...used to be 2, so I don’t see any home track advantage for our region. I personally don’t mind opening up my roadcourse, and neither of us have to be a driver. I don’t care about how many races are in this geographical region. 1:1 NASCAR has a cluster of tracks in geographical region, southeast for example, and we’re talking 1:32, so 4 tracks here is realistic. The northeast has NH, Dover, 2 at Pocono and..... Watkins Glen... The more the merrier!!! But you’re the director. Just my $.02

Last edited by bigtwin; 03-02-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:44 PM
International Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtwin View Post
I recall the discussion. But if you’re polling all entrants, I still want to offer my opinion. I don’t see it that way. I see it as just one more night to get together to have fun with slotcars. As for advantages? There’s an advantage for anyone tuning, then driving cars on their own ovals, when the schedule lands on their tracks... that’s just gonna happen. For several years we used the Artin oval in NEPA to tune, then raced on it. Currently, we have one oval in within 30 miles of the other 2 in the series to tune on...used to be 2, so I don’t see any home track advantage for our region. I personally don’t mind opening up my roadcourse, and neither of us have to be a driver. I don’t care about how many races are in this geographical region. 1:1 NASCAR has a cluster of tracks in geographical region, southeast for example, and we’re talking 1:32, so 4 tracks here is realistic. The northeast has NH, Dover, 2 at Pocono and..... Watkins Glen... The more the merrier!!! But you’re the director. Just my $.02
Sam,
I appreciate your input, and it is valuable to hear from all participants. Thank you for responding. Also, you are correct about "realistic" locations, but geographical location does not have any bearing on my statment that I don't want more races in NEPA. Hosting a proxy race can be time consuming, especially for the race host which in the past has always been me for the NEPA races. With directing the series I actually considered dropping an NEPA race, but I don't want to see the schedule shrink further because of my time constraints, so I am going to see how it goes this year.

While I welcome having a road course or two, I would still like more oval tracks on the schedule... but we just don't have that.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:05 PM
International Racer
View GTOking's Photo Album

I'm good with adding road courses. I am flexible hosting on my oval, the roval or even both if needed.

I think a "knockout" style format for having to qualify for a feature race is a cool idea. 40 cars is a bunch of proxy racing so this format makes it easier to host. I'm for that. I also think 40 cars (20 per division) should be the max allowed. Unfortunately, with two owner cars allowed per division it can limit spots for newcomers, which we always need. Maybe considering (for 2019) a rule where an owner must finish in the top 10 or 15 in points to qualify a 2nd entry would open up spots for newcomers. Jay did have a 40 car limit rule a few years ago. I know this is a slippery slope, we want to take care of our established car owners but new blood is always a good thing. Having to earn our spots in the field will push car owners to build better cars.

Let me also say I couldn't be happier with the way Scott has hit the ground running with plans for the 2018 season. Should be a fun time!
Old 03-03-2018, 02:09 PM
National Racer
View GAS41T's Photo Album

I host proxies on my road course...
If cars get sent to Australia I’ll pay for postage
Just a thought ??

Rossko
Old 03-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Championship Contender
View arroldn's Photo Album

OK Elimination race or not. With only 18 or 19 cars in a division you might as well run them all. I think the old rule said the top 10 advance to the main and then after that you run the remaining 8 cars to get the next five. So you actually do more running of cars than if you just ran all 18 or 19 cars and called it a day. I did run elimination races in earlier years of the series but as the field got larger it just made it easier to drop the elimination races. Cars 11-15 would run more laps than the top 10.

If memory serves me however some cars moved into the main event which didn't qualify well. They raced better so it could help some cars move up.

Arrold

Last edited by arroldn; 03-03-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:57 AM
Championship Contender
View maddick1943's Photo Album

Default "you might as well run them all"

Scott

Just my 2cents I'm ok! with a road course as I tune on one (I have no oval) if you should decide with going down under for one, I would be MORE the willing to kick extra funds to ship cars there

As far as using a Qual to run in the finals IMO not a good idea......I don't want to spend a ton of effort and time to only watch someone else car race and not be apart of the actual race

Ya Ya I know build better cars LOL I'm worried about that as an actual Champ in two COY seasons...........just voicing my opinion "for what its worth" for the rest of the group.

Dick
Old 03-05-2018, 04:15 PM
International Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddick1943 View Post
Scott

Just my 2cents I'm ok! with a road course as I tune on one (I have no oval) if you should decide with going down under for one, I would be MORE the willing to kick extra funds to ship cars there

As far as using a Qual to run in the finals IMO not a good idea......I don't want to spend a ton of effort and time to only watch someone else car race and not be apart of the actual race

Ya Ya I know build better cars LOL I'm worried about that as an actual Champ in two COY seasons...........just voicing my opinion "for what its worth" for the rest of the group.

Dick
Well, champ, let's see what you bring to the track this season LOL.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Championship Contender
View arroldn's Photo Album

One thing I might do this year is lower the voltage currently set at 12 volts. I run my leg of the series alone. Now last year my sister was in town and she marshalled for me. Read in some thread in a post somewhere that as a host this person felt 10-11 was enough for the 21K motors. I normally start a car over if it deslotted to get the best possible time for the owner. Sometimes that made for a long day if the car was hard to handle. Once I get the track repainted and do some testing I'll make a determination.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:42 AM
International Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroldn View Post
One thing I might do this year is lower the voltage currently set at 12 volts. I run my leg of the series alone. Now last year my sister was in town and she marshalled for me. Read in some thread in a post somewhere that as a host this person felt 10-11 was enough for the 21K motors. I normally start a car over if it deslotted to get the best possible time for the owner. Sometimes that made for a long day if the car was hard to handle. Once I get the track repainted and do some testing I'll make a determination.
I helped set up Daleville Speedway this past week, putting in the timing and scoring system. The track was set at 12v and the cars were drivable, but right on the edge. We set the power supply down to 10v and it made a huge difference. The cars were extremely well behaved and consistent. It was still possible to crash off, but they were much smoother!

Intimately it is up to the hosts to decide what voltage they want to run on, and every track is different... but I think adjusting the voltage is a very useful tool
Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

When you are tuning a car you have to know what the track voltage will be. The main things that would be affected would be your choice of motors and gear ratios. It would be nice if the track owners said what the voltage would be. If a track is using set type power supplies the owner might not know what the voltage is when cars are running, it would be a good thing to measure that.
Shoreline Model Raceways tracks are normally run at 10 volts.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:38 AM
International Racer

Default Good point

IRB Speedway will run at 10 volts on both the oval and roval. Full disclosure, the roval has yet to be braided so not a single lap has been run on that part of the track. I also plan to run the roval clockwise if the installation of my reversible lane switches works out. Nothing like hosting proxy races to force me to finally finish my track! The oval is fully functional but has not been used since the season finale last season. I better get to building cars and testing!
Old 03-07-2018, 09:46 AM
International Racer

No-Way... Speedway and Daleville Speedway will be run at 10vdc