Carrera Slot Cars
Fly Model Car
BRM Model Cars
NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Manufacturer's Corner > SCX > SCX Digital

Old 02-07-2018, 01:07 AM
International Racer
View Draconious's Photo Album

He says he will post something before Friday.
So, Hang in 'til Friday... and we will see.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Pit Crew

Hi everybody,

I am sorry for the very long delay getting this posted. I won't bore you with the details.

Originally I was going to release two versions, a basic lap counter interface for PC Lap Counter on a simpler board, and a full featured version that runs lights and manages speeds, etc on a more capable board. It turned out to be more complicated than I liked so it has all been put into one board and you'll simple connect what you want and leave out what you don't.

I am very close, just need to test the final software. I don't actually have a base modified here, Drac has the two prototypes. After the weekend I will be able to do that and take full pictures and upload the instructions and files.

Below are sample pics of a base with everything fit inside and a pic of my sample light setup.
If you are not sure if you want the speed control, it also serves other purposes. For example, when I had my track set up, we used the PCLC fuel management and set it to a much slower speed and no lap counts for a car that was out of fuel.

These are the parts required if anyone wants to get them coming.
This is not the only source, all these can be found on eBay or even Amazon for a few bucks more.

USB-Serial adapter:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CJMC...801557756.html

Main CPU board:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/STM3...656040083.html

Chip programmer:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS...792513237.html
^^^^^These 3 are minimum hardware^^^^

Display for speed setting:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yell...665945724.html
Displays the max speed setting if you use this feature

Key Fob remotes and receivers:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...760575861.html
Allows starting and pausing(caution) race and altering max speed without setting up buttons.
If you prefer, simple pushbuttons can be used or just use the PC Lap Counter screen controls.

The start light grid and the fuel gauges are RGB LEDs, APA102 which can be found all over online.

Again, I apologize to those of you who have been waiting for this, I will get this out as quickly as I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BaseBottom.jpg (77.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel.Start_Lights.jpg (61.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Novice Racer

Looking good. Appreciate the update! WOS is a pretty good setup as-is. Adding lap counting visibility & recognition is simply icing for me. Allora, preference is to get it done correctly vs promptly.

Will you chime in on what features of the controllers may be obsolete or missing if going to your upgraded setup? Ex: I prefer not to lose the low petro feature found on the controllers themselves so I'm obviously intrigued by the need for visual LEDs elsewhere on the track.

Thanks, again!
Old 02-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Pit Crew

It really depends on how much of the PC Lap Counter (PCLC going forward) functionality you choose to use. When I had the track set up, we just left WOS in green practice mode and we did all the fuel management in PCLC and had the my LED gauges just behind the track.

There is no reason you can't use PCLC for lap counting/timing and put WOS in a race mode to use it's fuel management and pistol gauges. To be honest, I never really used the WOS race modes. My first exposure to SCX was a small test setup Drac sent me to look into adding lap counting and then I just got carried away.

I got an emailed question about turning on the lights for the leader. I don't currently have that in there, but there is no reason that it can't be implemented, we could even make them flash. PCLC sends race position and a bunch of other data back during the race, including the running order. The trick with more features will be how to enable and configure them.

Please keep any questions or comments in the thread rather than PM or email.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
National Racer
View csprute's Photo Album

I'm really stoked to try this out on one of the power bases I have.