NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 01-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Top Qualifier
View dw5555's Photo Album

How is it after all this time your track still looks pristine? I love that corvette.. Borders do add a lot..

Dave
Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 AM
National Racer
View DRW-FJ40's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw5555 View Post
How is it after all this time your track still looks pristine? I love that corvette.. Borders do add a lot..

Dave
Easy! I just don't post the pictures of the... less than pristine parts.... shop vacing all the cat hair up first helps as well. I also keep a grey color sharpie marker around and touch up all the white flecks on the rock from cars hitting them.

The vette is one of my favorites too drive... and a looker as well. I had run the 458 once and the mirrors caught on my homemade guardrail.... so I put it up as I was planning to pull those up and put homemade borders in but DOT work is slow and so I just pulled the mirrors off & that's all it took.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:44 PM
National Racer

I keep adding to the 1:24 Collection... Gulf 911... I keep squirreling away money for the Ford GT and then something catches my eye... detail on these large cars is addictive... not to mention driving them.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:45 PM
National Racer
View Josh S's Photo Album

Wow, that Gulf 911 is amazing! Where can I get one?
Old 01-25-2017, 06:22 PM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh S View Post
Wow, that Gulf 911 is amazing! Where can I get one?
anywhere but the U.S. licensing thing I guess. Google "slot car union", that's where I got this one. Their shipping was fast and reasonable. I was ordering a Carson unit to convert Scaley DPR cars to Carrera and spent too much time looking.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:37 PM
National Racer
View Josh S's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
anywhere but the U.S. licensing thing I guess. Google "slot car union", that's where I got this one. Their shipping was fast and reasonable. I was ordering a Carson unit to convert Scaley DPR cars to Carrera and spent too much time looking.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I will seriously consider ordering this one; I've been wanting a Gulf car.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM
Top Qualifier

Well I just reread the entire post and I can't believe there are things I missed. Where did you get the Carrera car posters?

Dave
Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 PM
National Racer

Quote:
Well I just reread the entire post and I can't believe there are things I missed. Where did you get the Carrera car posters?

Dave
Hi Dave, I made them, Googled decent high-res photos & slapped the Carrera logo on. I can send you the PDFs if you'd like.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 AM
International Racer
View Quicktap's Photo Album

Im interested in the Posters also, were they hard to make? Nice track and awesome scenery work.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:16 AM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicktap View Post
Im interested in the Posters also, were they hard to make? Nice track and awesome scenery work.
Not really hard... just need to have the software and wide format printing access. If you have to take it somewhere to have them printed, the learning curve can be expensive. a lot of software will work, most people would use Adobe but I work in AutoCAD so that's easier for me.

PM me if you want copies of them. They're 24x36 PDF.

Thanks for the kind words on the layout!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:37 AM
National Racer

We made a new video over the weekend. My oldest son got a latest greatest GoPro for his birthday. So much better that my 1st gen. You can tell the clips that came from his camera.

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 05-17-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Championship Contender
View DrumPhil's Photo Album

Cool racing. When I had a D132 track sometimes we would do a Le Mans style race with two LMP cars using full magnets and two GT cars without magnets. That gives a good simulation of multi-class racing through traffic.

Race stints were timed and drivers would take a stint in each car. The race result is who did the most total laps, after adding up what they completed in all four cars. That is fun racing!
Old 05-19-2017, 05:12 AM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumPhil View Post
Cool racing. When I had a D132 track sometimes we would do a Le Mans style race with two LMP cars using full magnets and two GT cars without magnets. That gives a good simulation of multi-class racing through traffic.

Race stints were timed and drivers would take a stint in each car. The race result is who did the most total laps, after adding up what they completed in all four cars. That is fun racing!
That's a good idea.. my oldest son has been inquiring about taking the magnets out... the younger two are definitely not ready for that yet.

I'm also running the 124 cars on a 132 transformer which for now is working well. I'll probably get a 124 transformer for when the kids are a little older and can regulate their speed better.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:00 AM
Top Qualifier

Love the video. With the 1/24 cars you might want to try taking just the rear mag out under the axle and leaving the center mag in. That gives them a lot of slide but controllable. I think you will find they slide more vs desloting. I still run that way after all these years. Makes it easy for the all the inexperienced racers to at least drive the track.

Dave
Old 05-19-2017, 07:24 AM
National Racer

Quote:
Love the video. With the 1/24 cars you might want to try taking just the rear mag out under the axle and leaving the center mag in. That gives them a lot of slide but controllable. I think you will find they slide more vs desloting. I still run that way after all these years. Makes it easy for the all the inexperienced racers to at least drive the track.

Dave
Thanks Dave. It's interesting, I don't know if you've experienced this but I have and you can see it clearly in the video, the 917's don't slide near as much as the 'Vette and some of my other 124 cars. Not sure if it's the tires or something else but... I've noticed it.

Have you had much issue with your guide pins coming out or locking in one direction when you slide too much? I can't keep the 458 guide in anymore. I guess I need to look at one of those Frankenslot guides.