AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Sub-commander Promotions
View rolltidevet's Photo Album

Default Meet greenman62 !!!

Hello y'all,

I am pleased to sit and have a chat with "greenman62" who has been a long time member of SCI. Greenman62 is also a sponsor of SCI through his company "Greenman Castings". Greenman Castings offers some very unusual resin casts of classic cars and parts. So without further ramblings, please welcome greenman62 !!

(1) Thanks for sitting down for a chat greenman62. Let's start with what specific thing got you "hooked" on slot cars to begin with? Was it a style of car, the speed, the competition, or something else entirely?

(2) If I may be so bold as to ask, at what age did you become interested in slot cars?

(3) What is your favorite scale of slot cars? Also, which scale do you race with most often?

(4)What is your favorite class of slot cars that you enjoy racing?

(5) Let's talk about your company Greenman Castings. How did Greenman Castings come about?

(6) When designing a new mold for a resin casting, what requirements are necessary to keep the car to scale?

(7) What materials do you use to make a new casting and can you describe the process? I am sure it can be quite time consuming

(8) Do most castings turn out well the first time, or is there a fair amount of trial and error that goes into making a new casting?

(9) If some one wanted to request that you make a specific cast for them, what guidelines and parameters are necessary for you to start the project?

(10) Of your finished castings, which one are you the most proud of and why?

(11) Changing the subject, let's talk about the metaphysical aspects of hobbies in general and the need for some one to have a hobby. Would you agree that a hobby is a great way to relieve stress, especially considering the state of the worlds' economy?

(12) I have made the statement before that I consider hobbies to be an "active form of meditation." Would you agree with this assessment? Why or why not?

(13) What roles do slot car racing AND Greenman Castings play in your life?

(14) Finish the statement: If I were not racing slot cars for a hobby, I would be.......

(15) If given the chance, would you want to own your own slot car store and track facility?

(16) Now it is your turn greenman62. Is there anything more you would like to share with our readers about yourself, Greenman Castings, and slot cars in general?

Thanks greenman62 !!!

KIITS and Brightest Blessings,
Lawrence
Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Top Qualifier
View greenman62's Photo Album

(1) Thanks for sitting down for a chat greenman62. Let's start with what specific thing got you "hooked" on slot cars to begin with? Was it a style of car, the speed, the competition, or something else entirely?

Slot racing today is a second time around for me. Back in the late 60s I was involved when everyone else got started. I worked at a slot racing shop attached to a "big box" toy store in the Philadelphia area. My very first slot car was an Aurora "buzzer Jag XKE". I quickly graduated to Cox cars which, with my worker discount and knock offs for damaged merchandise I was able to get really cheaply. This brought me to scratch building. When I graduated high school I enjoyed a "summer off" then joined the Air Force and was gone for 4 years. By the time I got out the fad was fading. I was a "poor-because-honest" student, married with a kid on the way and there wasn't a lot of time for a hobby that had gone in a different direction than where my head was at.

The second time around came when I got a Scalextric set for Xmas about 9 years ago.

(2) If I may be so bold as to ask, at what age did you become interested in slot cars?

I think I was about 16.

(3) What is your favorite scale of slot cars? Also, which scale do you race with most often?

I've raced 1/24th and HO... for me 1/32 scale is pretty good. It's most prevalent globally and large enough for decent detail small enough that it won't take over spacewise.

(4)What is your favorite class of slot cars that you enjoy racing?

I suppose with all the band width I've taken up talking about NC1 racing I'd be hypocritical to say anything else. My personal favorite eras in racing are the pre WWII cars and the postwar through the early 70's. Car were narrower and smaller than present race cars and less reliant on ground effects. Because of this, I'm not overly fond of magnet cars ('though I do have a number of them). Lower RPM motors allow some very exciting racing without endangering the detail I bust my butt to get into my builds. Besides it's unrealistic to expect a prewar Alfa Romeo to run as quickly or handle as well as say, a modern LMP car.

(5) Let's talk about your company Greenman Castings. How did Greenman Castings come about?

Calling what I do a "Company" is... ermmm a bit optimistic(?) Greenman Castings is the efforts of a jumped up hobbyist. It's not really a business.

What got me started? Greed primarily... I wanted cars that I believed no one else would want. I'm a recovering Triumph owner. My very first casting was a Triumph Vitesse, or Sport Six, the Kastner Brophy Special. Most folks probably never heard of the car. I prepped the body, then made a latex mold and cast it up. Once the car was built I sent pix to the Southend-on-sea Slot Racing Club to be included in their picture gallery. Surprise... I got several orders for other copies. Then I wanted a Group 44 TR8... get the picture?

(6) When designing a new mold for a resin casting, what requirements are necessary to keep the car to scale?

Information. I need as much detailed info as possible. You can never have enough of it. For sure If I don't get it right, there are enough nit pickers out there that I won't hear the end of it. I'm also my own harshest critic If I notice an error, that will be all I'll ever see.

(7) What materials do you use to make a new casting and can you describe the process? I am sure it can be quite time consuming
It depends... The TR8 started with a Scalextric TR8, the Ferrari F1 car started with a resin cast Lotus F1 car. The Allard started with a 3 view drawing and a piece of basswood. As I mentioned before, information is essential. Then it's a matter of making the master look as much like what I trying to replicate as possible. Making latex molds doing resin casting is very well covered elsewhere on the internet so I'll not take up space describing what I do

(8) Do most castings turn out well the first time, or is there a fair amount of trial and error that goes into making a new casting?

For the most part yes... the molds do at least. Resin casting can be error prone, especially if you're not careful with measuring the two components or you don't keep your workspace clean. 2 part molds have the added possibility of an error occurring on either one or another side of the mold when they are being cast. Then once the two halves are done, you've got to keep bubbles from being trapped in mold while the resin casting hardens.

(9) If some one wanted to request that you make a specific cast for them, what guidelines and parameters are necessary for you to start the project?

I did that once for a customer. It was a Nash Healey. This was the best of all possible worlds as the starting point was a 1/32nd diecast my customer had. Making a mold of it was relatively simple. The original diecast was destroyed in the process, and because of the copyright issue it was a "one-off". The ultimate charge for the completed slot car was $450.00, which considering the time spent building it, I practically gave it away. For something that would be a "from nothing" scratch build to finish slot car, the cost would be considerably higher. To start a project I would need a LOT of information and then half of the final fee as a starting point.

(10) Of your finished castings, which one are you the most proud of and why?

That's like having be pick my favorite child! Each was my favorite, at the time I did it. I have several projects in process at the moment. You know about Ole Yaller 2. I need some more detail before I can start it. I've got all the detail drawing of a Ferrari 430 Mexico that needs building and Ak Miller's Caballo Hiero. I suppose my favorite would be the car I'm getting ready to start next, which is always a "love hate" relationship.

(11) Changing the subject, let's talk about the metaphysical aspects of hobbies in general and the need for some one to have a hobby. Would you agree that a hobby is a great way to relieve stress, especially considering the state of the worlds' economy?

I think a hobby is necessary regardless of the state of the universe or world economy.

(12) I have made the statement before that I consider hobbies to be an "active form of meditation." Would you agree with this assessment? Why or why not?

I feel we need something apart from the commonplace where we can let our brains try something different from everyday experience. Hobbies allow us to exercise our imaginations. They are a great release and for some of us a refuge... it's all good.

(13) What roles do slot car racing AND Greenman Castings play in your life?

Slot racing is a part of who I am. It's a connection with people and friends all over the world. It's hobby and passion. I cannot begin to own a Ferrari. Slot racing allows me to own nearly a dozen, with more on the way. Greenman Castings is an extension of slot racing. It helps me keep my hobby from eating my personal exchequer alive and gets me cars that (as I said) no one will ever make.

(14) Finish the statement: If I were not racing slot cars for a hobby, I would be.......

probably sucked into another old car, like the original Greenman, my TR4

(15) If given the chance, would you want to own your own slot car store and track facility?

Oh heavens no! Nothing kills the joy of a hobby faster than making a business out of it!

(16) Now it is your turn greenman62. Is there anything more you would like to share with our readers about yourself, Greenman Castings, and slot cars in general?

Gadfry! I dunno. World peace? I think we've covered the lot of it here.

I would wish that someone with more sculpting ability than I have would get around to producing realistic, good looking drivers for our little cars.

Thanks greenman62 !!!

My Pleasure!

Last edited by greenman62; 06-16-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Championship Contender
View beejay7's Photo Album

Nice Interview...., but someone should mention Greig's input into the Global Proxy Racing Scene. He is a great participant, in keeping this aspect of our hobby alive and thriving, and long may it continue.
Just got to get him out of the Triumph mould and into real cars....Healey's!.

Regards

Alan
Old 06-17-2010, 05:47 AM
World Champion
View Robert Livingston's Photo Album

Yes, Greenman is a stalwart contributor to the hobby, adding historical commentary and plenty of great photos of his great slot cars. His cars show what "stance" is all about. Also, he is talented at modifying model soldiers into drivers, with great animation and poses. Not to mention well painted faces and clothes. If you see his cars in person, they are even more impressive.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 AM
Championship Contender
View Zoom Beedo's Photo Album

Hey Greenman, I've really enjoyed seeing your work over the years you've been on SCI. You're an inspiration to the rest of us. And RTV, it's good to see you back on here and continuing this series, too - we've missed you.

Greenman, with your experience creating great-looking miniatures from scratch, I think you would have a unique insight to a question that has cropped up regularly in scale discussions here. One theory that seems to arise in any of these discussions, is that to make a miniature replica look correct, liberties must be taken with scale measurements because the miniature is viewed from a different angle than the full-sized original. Others counter that if you just get all the measurements to scale, the miniature will look correct without any distortion needed to overcome this "scale effect". In your experience, have you had to deliberately distort a scale measurement to achieve a correct looking miniature?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Top Qualifier
View Old23's Photo Album

Great to learn more about and from the man behind those lovely classic-era slot car models. As RL mentioned, his detailed and lifelike driver figures are without parallel. Both cars and drivers demonstrate the care, patience and attention to detail that those of us who enjoy the model-making aspect of this hobby can really appreciate and aspire to.

And it's always fun to learn the history behind an SCI member's "handle" as well.

Old23
Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Top Qualifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom Beedo View Post
In your experience, have you had to deliberately distort a scale measurement to achieve a correct looking miniature?
When I lay out a car for construction the first thing I do is the side view. I draw 2 wheels in their proper scale wheelbase . From there everything else seems to fall into place. Does it mean everything else is accurate? No. Whatever I do must look "right" to my eye. Do I fudge a bit with scale? I suppose so. Is it measurable? Probably... but I'm no bean counter so I'll leave that to the "anal retentives".

A very wise friend of mine, an emeritus professor of mechanical engineering, has the same viewpoint. "It must look right".

I hope this answers your query.

Greenman62
Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Top Qualifier
View Jerry LaGesse's Photo Album

i always read the threads that have you , and several other of the olde farts in them . i get to gleen more than you know . thanks for what you and many of the afore mentioned OF`s bring to our hobby .

jer

and welcome to this list . i understand we are a "bit special" !

Last edited by Jerry LaGesse; 06-17-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: another quip !
Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Championship Contender
View Zoom Beedo's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman62 View Post
When I lay out a car for construction the first thing I do is the side view. I draw 2 wheels in their proper scale wheelbase . From there everything else seems to fall into place. Does it mean everything else is accurate? No. Whatever I do must look "right" to my eye. Do I fudge a bit with scale? I suppose so. Is it measurable? Probably... but I'm no bean counter so I'll leave that to the "anal retentives".

A very wise friend of mine, an emeritus professor of mechanical engineering, has the same viewpoint. "It must look right".

I hope this answers your query.

Greenman62
It does, indeed, answer my query. Thanks for your valued input.

Zoom
Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Top Qualifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay7 View Post
Just got to get him out of the Triumph mould and into real cars....Healey's!.
Regards
Alan
If the stars align, I give up slot racing (heaven forefend) and I find the time and the wearwithall to get another sporty car I'd probably go for something Italian.

I was looking for an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spyder (sort of) when the TR "fell into my lap". It was the perfect car for me at the time (I was a complete ignoramus at restoring any car) and I learned a lot over the course of a 2 year rebuild. Were I to do it again I'd opt for something that just needs freshening or an older restoration with solid bodywork. I've done enough rust repair to challenge my tetanus immunity for two lifetimes.

Healeys... why would I want a lift truck? I've already done the farm tractor

Greenman62
Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Championship Contender
View reek455's Photo Album

Something that wasn't covered in the interview is that ol greenman is a determined racer that can make his car pretty wide. We joke around here he can get ya from two lanes away. That said, it has been a pleasure to get to know Greg, race with him and see all of his beautiful creations first hand.

Rico