NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 07-06-2017, 05:47 PM
National Champion
View Slotbob's Photo Album

"The stewards had to take action against Vettel after the wheel banging stunt, any delay was surely down to them discussing whether it should be a 10 second stop-and-go OR disqualification; as we saw, they chose the former. But also, the stewards had to order Hamilton to get his head restraint fixed, it was a danger to him and others on the track. How they ended up, position-wise was the luck of the draw."--WCR

Yep.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:47 AM
Championship Contender
View Al's slotracing's Photo Album

Stewards at F1 races almost always take quite a few minutes to come to a decision even when the outcome looks to be pretty obvious (e.g. speeding in the pit lane). When two cars collide there is a mass of data the stewards need to consider, that's not the work of a moment. Don't forget there were two collisions between Hamilton and Vettel in the space of a few seconds. Having made sure how much each participant is to blame, they then have to decide what penalties to apply. There's a standard penalty for some problems, but for collisions between cars there's a wide range of penalties available including stop - go, grid penalties for the next race, and disqualification.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:55 AM
National Racer
View longdog's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
You're reading too much into the machinations.

The stewards had to take action against Vettel after the wheel banging stunt, any delay was surely down to them discussing whether it should be a 10 second stop-and-go OR disqualification; as we saw, they chose the former.

But also, the stewards had to order Hamilton to get his head restraint fixed, it was a danger to him and others on the track.

How they ended up, position-wise was the luck of the draw. It was also pretty funny, I thought ...
Yes, Hamilton had to get his head restraint fixed, as I said, it was a safety issue and had to be dealt with quickly. Regarding Vettel's actions; had it been under race conditions, then I feel he would have had to have been disqualified.

The rest? Well I'll let everyone make up their own minds on my speculation

In the UK press at least, Hamilton is still banging on about Vettel being disqualified, conveniently forgetting the number of drivers he has forced off the track under race conditions, the phrase "pot and kettle" springs to mind! lol

Last edited by longdog; 07-07-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:24 AM
Championship Contender
View downtowndeco's Photo Album

Of course he's squawking that he'd like Vettel to be disqualified, he's a rival for the Championship.

It sort of reminds me of the "diving" that often occurs in football (soccer). One player bumps into another & the guy will lay writhing in agony on the field until the red card is drawn. Then he hops up & faux limps back to the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog View Post
In the UK press at least, Hamilton is still banging on about Vettel being disqualified, conveniently forgetting the number of drivers he has forced off the track under race conditions, the phrase "pot and kettle" springs to mind! lol
Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM
National Racer
View Hundo's Photo Album

Someone stated there wasn't any damage from Vettels wheel to wheel contact. That's here nor there, it's the intent. At that time vettel knew his wing was damaged and needed to pit. He wanted some damage to Hamilton to even the score (pit), a flat tire I'd bet was his intention. Vettel is a weasel and a "brat"
Old 07-07-2017, 04:05 PM
International Racer
View Speedynh's Photo Album

pretty good Austria FP1 & 2, eh? Ferrari's floor, Lewis doesn't like his car, and McLaren in the top 10! cool.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:16 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

Yeah, I enjoyed watching them coming to grips - or not - today. What a beautiful location for a race circuit, there in the Styrian landscape!

Looks like the weather could be dodgy, both for qualifying tomorrow and Sunday's race; could make it even more interesting ...
Old 07-12-2017, 06:58 AM
SCI Moderator

Default Meanwhile ...

... as Silverstone's future remains in doubt, they're contemplating a Danish circuit for 2020.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:50 AM
National Racer

Hamilton is reported to have snubbed Mercedes when he was supposed to have done a demo as PR work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/gossip

and a fuller report here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...don-event.html
Old 07-15-2017, 05:27 PM
SCI Moderator

Trust the Daily Mail to extract all the angst possible from the situation. All the news that's printed to fit, eh?

Meanwhile, Toto Wolff puts the lie to the rumours, as you can see in this here article.

Well, it looks like it's Hamilton's race to lose from here - awesome qualifying lap, there - and the main question after the grid re-positioning is going to be whether or not both of the Ferrari drivers manage to get to the podium to share the champagne at the end, I think.

I'm not always the biggest Hamilton fan, and still reckon Vettel for the championship, but it would be righteous and wonderful to see Lewis win again at Silverstone and he seems to be in fine form to achieve this.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:01 AM
National Racer

I won't post the race results other than to say great drive by Bottas and high drama in the last couple of laps!!!!
Old 07-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Top Qualifier
View b.yingling's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog View Post
I won't post the race results other than to say great drive by Bottas and high drama in the last couple of laps!!!!
I usually record the race, but today I was able to watch it live, and yes, it was a dramatic finish. Some very exciting moves long before the finish involving Vettel and Verstappen, and then Bottas and Vettel.

Last edited by b.yingling; 07-16-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:36 PM
International Racer
View Speedynh's Photo Album

Default pretty outrageous last few laps, eh?

yep. good stuff.
but having both Ferraris (and Max almost) blow left front tires in the last two laps I thought was pretty unusual. good on Kimi though, although he could have at least acted like he'd earned his podium rather than like he didn't know why he was there. go figure.
meanwhile, Daniel had to fight his way back into the points from the back, twice! "who's next?" nice.
too bad Fernando lost his power unit Again, especially after changing everything. and like Hobbo says, I wish that they'd get rid of those penalties. F1 is expensive, get over it. we're here to watch them race, not start from the back because they blew six turbos this season. just my take.
speedy
Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Championship Contender
View MT Tam I am's Photo Album

Wow! Once again, Bottas surprised the heck out of me. After getting that 5 spot penalty in Q3 that pushed him back from starting at pol 4 to starting at pol 9(!) , he fought his way through and managed to claw his way back up the food chain to come in 2nd at the end of the F1 race. He's a truly gifted driver.

Of course, Ham won the race. But I have to hand it to him. It was a totally legitimate win and he certainly earned his pol 1 standing at the beginning of the F1 race after the great driving he did in Q3.

Even though the outcome of the UK race was pretty predictable, the race was really fun to watch. Lots of ups and downs. I'm sorry to see that Vet didn't make the podium and that there's now only 1 point separating Vet and Ham in the Drivers Championship. But who knows? Vet went from 25 points ahead, down 12, then back up 14, then to 20. So maybe he'll turn this measly 1 point ahead of Ham back into a wide lead. You never know, right?

Speaking of Vet, I was shocked to see him come within 1 lap of making it to the podium at the end of the race, and then have his left front tire poop out on him! What a disappointment that must have been for him.

So ... Ham wins, Bottas comes in 2nd, and Kimi is 3rd. Not too shabby.

I was glad to see that Max finally had a much better showing in this F1 race than he did in so many of the others he competed in this season. He finished 4th at Silverstone
Old 07-20-2017, 07:20 PM
SCI Moderator

I'm with you on your various remarks, there. Lewis earned that, he was top of the class at Silverstone.

And, Bottas showed everyone, clearly, what kind of skills he's got when given the right car; of course, it was his outstanding performance as the best of the rest when he was driving for Williams that got him the seat.

This is pretty much silly season, when the press all start speculating on who will be in which seat next year; but frankly, if I was Toto or Nikki, I would keep the current lineup simply because it's working so well - and there isn't any driver out there who could have or would have done more with the Mercedes than Bottas has achieved (apart from Hamilton, of course).

__________________________________________________ ____________

Meanwhile, I think we're all feeling Hungary about now. (Look, Photobucket killed my emoticons so you'll have to settle for my puny puns from here, OK?)

The Hungaroring is often compared to Monaco, only without the barriers. If there is any chance for the McLaren's to shine this season, it's coming right up; and this applies to other teams as well who may not have managed the top speeds on other tracks, even if their handling and brakes have been sorted properly.

Here's a little blast from the past to get us energized ...