SCI Logo

Scalextric USA
Pioneer Slot Cars
SCIs  MarketPlace, the online slot car mall
Carrera Slot Cars
Fly Model Car
BRM Model Cars
NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
  #1  
Old 03-30-2015, 11:26 AM
urbanwarrior's Avatar
urbanwarrior urbanwarrior is offline
Championship Contender
View urbanwarrior's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,517
Default Why the recent surge of Avant Slot???

I have noticed lately that there has been a recent flooding of the market of Avant Slot cars. From eBay to site sponsors to online retailers and most recently a slot car show yesterday in my area. Most of these seem to be cars released years ago. I was wondering if someone was sitting on these and decided to flood the market with them or if Avant may have had a surplus they just released??!! It has been several years since I have seem Avant add cars into the market, and quite frankly, I'm glad to see it. I have been a fan of Avant for years, since Racewear did an 8 week series and Alan's support of the product several years ago. But since then the Avant market all but disappeared. I was actually able to pick up the Gulf liveried Mirage that sold out long ago, that I had always wanted.
Anyway, its good to see Avant Slot products back in the marketplace again.
UW
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-31-2015, 06:30 PM
Bob Chapman Bob Chapman is offline
National Racer
View Bob Chapman's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 214
Default

It is my understanding that AS may have taken MSC as either a take over or merger.
They are also providing chassis's for other manufacturers.
This may be one of the reasons there name is more to the forefront these days.
It certainly dosent hurt my feelings, as they make a decent product.
I just got the new Lotus Elise. Great looking livery on it too.
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Bob Chapman Bob Chapman is offline
National Racer
View Bob Chapman's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 214
Default

Disregard the above post, I got my AS (Avant Slot) mixes up with my SA (Scale Auto)
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2015, 06:09 PM
GrizBear GrizBear is offline
Pit Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
Default Why the recent surge of Avant Slot???

I just purchased my first two Avant cars and the rear wheels spin off when at full acceleration. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The seller said use a little super glue. That did not sit well with me. Quality concerns for Avant cars?



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrizBear; 08-18-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2015, 09:29 PM
steeveew's Avatar
steeveew steeveew is offline
Championship Contender
View steeveew's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The "Armpit of California"
Posts: 1,259
Default

I had the same issue with my pescarolo also.
Aluminium wheels,hard green chassis and motor pod,runs very good now.
Don't give up on it,it's a good car in my opinion.


Steve
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Scaleracing's Avatar
Scaleracing Scaleracing is offline
SCI Administrator
View Scaleracing's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 11,120
Default Very concerned we frustrated you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBear View Post
I just purchased my first two Avant cars and the rear wheels spin off when at full acceleration. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The seller said use a little super glue. That did not sit well with me. Quality concerns for Avant cars?



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As well as owning this Site I also own www.132slotcar.us where I believe you purchase the Avant Slot Cars from.
I fully understand your comment regarding pressed on wheels, and lobbied Avant Slot hard for years to look at several features on their line that hurt sales. That said they are great value at $54.99 which was list on the cars you purchase ( production 2010 ) and at the $39.99 price which you purchase them at even better value.
Scalextric went to knurled axles because of complaints about wheels coming off, wheels that were round and square on their axles. Now Scalextric wheels are often out of round due to being pressed onto the knurl. Many wish for the pressed on days, also makes it easy to upgrade to better wheels, as the axles were still useable.

Avant Slot has now switched to alloy rear wheels but not at $54.99 Retail, and certainly not at $39.99.

However we need to explain to Customers what they are buying, so they are well informed, and to avoid potential disappointment with an online purchase.

I am sorry you felt our suggestion to glue on the wheels was not a good one, of course you can upgrade to better rear wheels but I understand your feeling.

This is the problem with most of the boutique brands from Slot.it to Avant Slot and all the others in between. They need to be set up to run well, need to be set up for the track they will run on, need wheels fitted, chassis adjusted etc. They need special tools which a new racer may not realize is required.
upgrade the rear end of your cars. Also their is often a need to fit better tires as the tires supplied may well not work on your track. Again this is part of making a car that can be tuned to many different tracks, it is impossible to supply set up for a track without knowing what track it will be run on.

If you are still unhappy with your purchase I will gladly take the cars back, I work hard trying to grow this Hobby and do not want to see unhappy customers. Alternatively you could purchase alloy wheels which we can supply, Depending on the tracks you are running on I can advise which wheels.
Again I apologize for your frustration, certainly not what I am trying to do with this fantastic, almost unknown Hobby.
Call me anytime to discuss, I am serious about everyone having as good an experience as possible.

1-253-255-1807 24/7

See you at the Races.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2015, 04:23 AM
Modlerbob Modlerbob is offline
Top Qualifier
View Modlerbob's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DeBary Florida just north of Orlando
Posts: 3,016
Default

The two latest cars from Avant Slot, the Kremer Porsche and the Mirage are two of the best slot cars I own which is why I just ordered another Kremer Porsche. I also have their earlier LMP Peugeot which ran poorly on Scaley plastic but much better on wood. In my opinion they went way out in left field with it's overly complicated chassis. The latest products follow the KISS principal much more closely. (KISS = keep it simple stupid)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Mayberryman Mayberryman is offline
Championship Contender
View Mayberryman's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colonial Heights, VA.
Posts: 1,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaleracing View Post
As well as owning this Site I also own www.132slotcar.us where I believe you purchase the Avant Slot Cars from.
I fully understand your comment regarding pressed on wheels, and lobbied Avant Slot hard for years to look at several features on their line that hurt sales. That said they are great value at $54.99 which was list on the cars you purchase ( production 2010 ) and at the $39.99 price which you purchase them at even better value.
Scalextric went to knurled axles because of complaints about wheels coming off, wheels that were round and square on their axles. Now Scalextric wheels are often out of round due to being pressed onto the knurl. Many wish for the pressed on days, also makes it easy to upgrade to better wheels, as the axles were still useable.

Avant Slot has now switched to alloy rear wheels but not at $54.99 Retail, and certainly not at $39.99.

However we need to explain to Customers what they are buying, so they are well informed, and to avoid potential disappointment with an online purchase.

I am sorry you felt our suggestion to glue on the wheels was not a good one, of course you can upgrade to better rear wheels but I understand your feeling.

This is the problem with most of the boutique brands from Slot.it to Avant Slot and all the others in between. They need to be set up to run well, need to be set up for the track they will run on, need wheels fitted, chassis adjusted etc. They need special tools which a new racer may not realize is required.
upgrade the rear end of your cars. Also their is often a need to fit better tires as the tires supplied may well not work on your track. Again this is part of making a car that can be tuned to many different tracks, it is impossible to supply set up for a track without knowing what track it will be run on.

If you are still unhappy with your purchase I will gladly take the cars back, I work hard trying to grow this Hobby and do not want to see unhappy customers. Alternatively you could purchase alloy wheels which we can supply, Depending on the tracks you are running on I can advise which wheels.
Again I apologize for your frustration, certainly not what I am trying to do with this fantastic, almost unknown Hobby.
Call me anytime to discuss, I am serious about everyone having as good an experience as possible.

1-253-255-1807 24/7

See you at the Races.

I bought one of the Mirages and to be honest in stock form the car is not able to make use of the powerful orange motor. The first modification I made after removing the magnets was to add a little weight and change to sponge tires and this made a big difference and now the biggest problem was wheel hop. This was solved by the addition of the Alum. center section and slot it rear to include bushings. Now, two things come to mind, with all the additions to the car it is just a little more than a NSR 917, but it is a faster car in my current state. The Mirage might not be an all out killer racer out of the box but the platform does allow for you to build an out and out rocket ship.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2015, 12:47 AM
longdog's Avatar
longdog longdog is offline
National Racer
View longdog's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Swansea, Wales, UK
Posts: 349
Default

I fully agree with the comments about manufacturers fitting plastic wheels, there really is no excuse for it. It is one of my pet hates and it seems to be a case of spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar. However, the reply by Scaleracing was, IMHO , a very fair and honest answer and this is the type of retailer that we should be supporting and encouraging.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Modlerbob Modlerbob is offline
Top Qualifier
View Modlerbob's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DeBary Florida just north of Orlando
Posts: 3,016
Default

I agree that the orange motor is way too hot for the average home track. Fortunately I have a controller that allows me to adjust the acceleration curve without cutting back much on the top end. I can also reduce the track voltage if I am just running the Avant slot cars. Just got my Repsol Kremer Porsche and it is beautiful. I also noticed that the wheelbase on the Kremer is significantly longer than that on the Mirage which I think makes it corner better.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2016, 08:07 AM
michael.cannonjr's Avatar
michael.cannonjr michael.cannonjr is offline
Novice Racer
View michael.cannonjr's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ft. Bragg, NC
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaleracing View Post
As well as owning this Site I also own www.132slotcar.us where I believe you purchase the Avant Slot Cars from.

I fully understand your comment regarding pressed on wheels, and lobbied Avant Slot hard for years to look at several features on their line that hurt sales. That said they are great value at $54.99 which was list on the cars you purchase ( production 2010 ) and at the $39.99 price which you purchase them at even better value.

Scalextric went to knurled axles because of complaints about wheels coming off, wheels that were round and square on their axles. Now Scalextric wheels are often out of round due to being pressed onto the knurl. Many wish for the pressed on days, also makes it easy to upgrade to better wheels, as the axles were still useable.



Avant Slot has now switched to alloy rear wheels but not at $54.99 Retail, and certainly not at $39.99.



However we need to explain to Customers what they are buying, so they are well informed, and to avoid potential disappointment with an online purchase.



I am sorry you felt our suggestion to glue on the wheels was not a good one, of course you can upgrade to better rear wheels but I understand your feeling.



This is the problem with most of the boutique brands from Slot.it to Avant Slot and all the others in between. They need to be set up to run well, need to be set up for the track they will run on, need wheels fitted, chassis adjusted etc. They need special tools which a new racer may not realize is required.

upgrade the rear end of your cars. Also their is often a need to fit better tires as the tires supplied may well not work on your track. Again this is part of making a car that can be tuned to many different tracks, it is impossible to supply set up for a track without knowing what track it will be run on.



If you are still unhappy with your purchase I will gladly take the cars back, I work hard trying to grow this Hobby and do not want to see unhappy customers. Alternatively you could purchase alloy wheels which we can supply, Depending on the tracks you are running on I can advise which wheels.

Again I apologize for your frustration, certainly not what I am trying to do with this fantastic, almost unknown Hobby.

Call me anytime to discuss, I am serious about everyone having as good an experience as possible.



1-253-255-1807 24/7



See you at the Races.

I'm a commercial track owner/operator and I'm spending the morning doing some research and asking questions about hardbody RTR cars.

When I first too an interest in slots it was because I saw some Scaletrix cars that I loved. I was disappointed to learn those are considered home track cars for plastic tracks and I've been stocking flexi cars since.

But this morning I discovered BRM and Scaleauto. Guess it's been under my nose all along but Im not circulated in those racing circles.

I want to bring the more realistic looking cars to my tracks. I own two 8 lane tracks of 135ft and 165ft. I also have a drag strip but that is not affected by this.

So if you will, steer me to what cars I should be looking to for competitive racing on tracks where guys are already racing flexi cars at high speeds. I realize hard body is slower but the bar is set high for a quality race experience.

I have a BMW plant nearby. I want to tap into that with BMW cars. And this area is flush with muscle cars.

Anyway.....can you help me 0B1?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-12-2016, 09:54 AM
SHAMONG SHAMONG is offline
National Racer
View SHAMONG's Photo Album
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.cannonjr View Post
I'm a commercial track owner/operator and I'm spending the morning doing some research and asking questions about hardbody RTR cars.

When I first too an interest in slots it was because I saw some Scaletrix cars that I loved. I was disappointed to learn those are considered home track cars for plastic tracks and I've been stocking flexi cars since.

But this morning I discovered BRM and Scaleauto. Guess it's been under my nose all along but Im not circulated in those racing circles.

I want to bring the more realistic looking cars to my tracks. I own two 8 lane tracks of 135ft and 165ft. I also have a drag strip but that is not affected by this.

So if you will, steer me to what cars I should be looking to for competitive racing on tracks where guys are already racing flexi cars at high speeds. I realize hard body is slower but the bar is set high for a quality race experience.

I have a BMW plant nearby. I want to tap into that with BMW cars. And this area is flush with muscle cars.

Anyway.....can you help me 0B1?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of the guys you would like to contact would be the guys from PhaseII. They have an excellent program when it come to hardbody racing. It's a commercial track and they run 1/32, 1/24. They run no glue on their track which allows them to run rubber, urethane and foam tires. So for your application you will need to run foam tires. 1/32 is not only for home tracks and PhaseII runs them with success at their track. See the link I have attached and reach out to them.
http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...play.php?f=251
Also 1/24 H&R hardbodies are great we race them in NJ at The Race Place a very fun class.
As well as 1/24 BRM and ScaleAuto are a blast

AL
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 AM
Scaleracing's Avatar
Scaleracing Scaleracing is offline
SCI Administrator
View Scaleracing's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tacoma
Posts: 11,120
Default Missed this before

There are sections for BRM and Scaleauto on SCI which I try to monitor as often as I can. As no longer Distributing Avant Slot I do not check here so often although I still finance their section on my Forum for now.

As the Importer of BRM and Scaleauto we are always looking for Tracks to help showcase this part of Slot Car Racing.

Anyone interested should contact me directly at [email protected] or call 24/7 1-253-255-1807.

Scaleracing is a growth segment within the Model Car Racing hobby and we aggresively support Stores and Tracks interested in our Programs.

See you at the Races.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Modlerbob Modlerbob is offline
Top Qualifier
View Modlerbob's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DeBary Florida just north of Orlando
Posts: 3,016
Default

I'm wondering now about the future of Avant Slot. Nothing new in ages and the wholesale dumping of the Kremer Porsche chassis on ebay leads me to believe they may be shutting down.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   
  •   

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.