NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Championship Contender
View fastlap's Photo Album

Default slot car components- Who makes them?

I am thinking of either developing my own blank chassis or a complete slot car that is made specifically for open wheel bodies. I love the new "tight package" of the Jag Hobbies chassis, however, it would have to be significantly longer wheelbase . Can anyone supply contact info, website info for manufacturers who make the chassis components? Who makes the contacts, supplies the magnets, armatures, axles, etc. I'm not looking for the hobby stores that sell the components, I'm looking for the actual manufacturers of the components.

Can anyone help?????

Old 06-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Championship Contender
View neorules's Photo Album

Ask in Chinese
Old 06-18-2017, 11:37 AM
National Champion
View slotking's Photo Album

if you look at Slottech, viper, wizzard and BSRT parts, you may find it easier to design with some of those parts in mind to get started.

if serious, you should invest in a 3d printers with a good cad package, to design the car and needed parts. then you can uses what you printed for the mold makers.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:27 PM
World Champion
View NicoRosberg.'s Photo Album

Orders would have to be large if you wanted access to the 'actual maufacturers'.

Why not try and get an ''extender'' for the JAG printed? If you learn the CAD involved in that you should then be able to print your own bodies.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
Why not try and get an ''extender'' for the JAG printed? If you learn the CAD involved in that you should then be able to print your own bodies.
The Jag chassis would be a good place to start. However, what holds back the Jag and MG2 is the tops of the armature magnets, which need to be rounded or angled. And the need to have new pickup shoes manufactured. If I can overcome those two items, I would develop a longer chassis. First in 3D, then brought to injection molded. Another aspect I would change from the MG is making the front axle a snap-in like the Jag or Tyco chassis'. Most of the electrical partsd seem to be readily available.

And get rid of the splined/knurled axle ends. Hate that feature!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoRosberg. View Post

Also...no CAD or printed bodies or chassis. I would only use that medium to develop the chassis and bodies. Injection molded only!!! After the chassis is done, the first open wheel body would be some sort of F1 with a wide appeal. Something in the 2000-2004 era. If that takes off, then an Indy body. Probably the 1998-2004-ish Reynard like the one I have pictured. That would be the start of a dream....,

Old 06-18-2017, 05:46 PM
National Champion
View Slotbob's Photo Album

What about the Autoworld method?

Put a JAG chassis into an extended cast body that has it's own front axle location. Maybe incorporate a brass tube to house the axle (painted black, of course) for strength, if neccessary.

Pin and shoe location could be an issue, but then again, maybe not, especially for shelf queens.

Actually fairly realistic!

Last edited by Slotbob; 06-18-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:03 PM
World Champion
View NicoRosberg.'s Photo Album

Well, JAG just did a chassis that is injection molded, so if you have the wonga to match the will and time, it can be done.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM
National Racer
View Dash Motorsports's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlap View Post
I am thinking of either developing my own blank chassis or a complete slot car that is made specifically for open wheel bodies. I love the new "tight package" of the Jag Hobbies chassis, however, it would have to be significantly longer wheelbase . Can anyone supply contact info, website info for manufacturers who make the chassis components? Who makes the contacts, supplies the magnets, armatures, axles, etc. I'm not looking for the hobby stores that sell the components, I'm looking for the actual manufacturers of the components.

Can anyone help?????

go to Alibaba.com. these companies are easy to find.... You might have to be 'creative' and instead of doing a search on, slot car magnets, just look up companies that make magnets. Or 'slot car chassis', you may want to look generally at companies that do injection molding. There are a ton of motor manufacturers out there and unless you're trying to develop a pancake armature, 'open frame type armatures like Tyco, Tomy Wizzard, etc are plentiful.

It will help your cause greatly if you have prototypes or drawings to send these companies. Also keep in mind that you should be ready to step up to the plate for a 2500 to 5000 piece commitment for some of these parts. Or more. Companies arent going to make you 1, 2 , 20 or even 100. It doesn't work that way. So be prepared to be a player in the market if you're going to have the resources to make this level of commitment.

Invest in a 'GOOD, HIGH RESOLUTION' 3D printer and a good scanner. Learn to use the software. This will help greatly in developing prototypes to send overseas.

There is little chance of doing this in the US and have it be cost effective.

As an example, I tried to get my armature made here in the states. I contacted a half dozen companies. Two responded. One provided a quote. That quote was over $7/ea in quantites of 10,000 or more.

Another route to explore is to get yourself set up with an overseas agent who can do most of this for you. As well as navigate the language and 'understanding' barrier. I believe Harrison had a company called Paramount do their work. They were/are US based firm but still contracted the work with overseas companies. Paramount is now part of 3D systems, they were bought out 5 years ago.

Also be ready for revisions, factory screwups and delays. And you'll also want to probably airfreight these parts in because the alternative is make sure that you produce enough product to ship in a container and have it on the water for 4 to 6 weeks.

Good luck...

Last edited by Dash Motorsports; 06-19-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:16 PM
National Racer
View Dash Motorsports's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlap View Post
That would be the start of a dream....,

or the start of the longest nightmare you've ever experienced....