NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 05-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Top Qualifier
View bov's Photo Album

Default Do some Proxy Series have a problem?

I’ve always thought that the biggest attribute you need when participating in Proxy racing is patience…..
I’m probably not the only one who’s personal circumstances result in a large proportion of one’s slot car ‘fix’ being satisfied through participation in various proxy series…..
But – to me it seems that things haven’t been as rosy in certain parts of the proxy racing sphere as they used to be. I sincerely hope I’m wrong, but there seems to not as much enthusiasm for some series as in the past – it seems the CanAm has finished, the RAA is struggling, it’ll probably take a while for the next Slot.it Shootout to get going etc…
And yet – the IPS and the Group 5 scratch build proxies (to name just two) appear to be almost over subscribed… Why is there this disparity?
Personally, I would suggest I have invested as much as anyone in the Shootout in the recent past (multiple entries, hosting, scorekeeping) – others have done similar, and although there ended up being a full field, there just doesn’t seem to be the enthusiasm for it as there used to be. Similarly in the RAA – I have two paid entries virtually ready to, but there isn’t the quantity of entries by this time that you’d expect…. The Last Open Road Proxy has only just gotten going after some uncertainty as to it’s viability …..
So – why are some Proxy series going gangbusters, whilst others appear to struggle?
Beats me – open to discussion……
Cheers, Tony.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Championship Contender
View Phil Kalbfell's Photo Album

Tony: IMO there are several reason that some proxies struggle.
They need to be "driven" by the organizer,by keeping the thread active all the time.
The Rounds need to be well reported and as close together as possible.

They after need to be " refreshed" buy updating the rules to suit changes in supplies and manufactures.
Series that become long and drawn out soon loose followers quickly.
It is very difficult to maintain interest and momentum with any series.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Championship Contender
View bluesguy's Photo Album

Late last year I participated in my first HO proxy drag race.
I found it to be immensely thrilling, long distance competition.
The Nov. 2106 Smoky Mountains Proxy Drag Race was a great place to jump in.
Our racemaster Dave632 was a superb host, keeping us all well aware of all action.
It's a lot of work for a guy to pull off a perfect weekend of proxy racing, where everybody drives home smiling.
Dave did it.
And did it again a couple weeks ago with the 2017 Smoky Mountain Spring Nationals. There were entrants from all around the globe.
Smoky Mountain Dragway provided pit space and assistance to seventy five cars.

I'm not comparing proxy drag racing and proxy road racing, only sharing my proxy racing experience.
I've participated in a few more HO proxy drag events, am having a blast.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM
International Racer
View cgyracer's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Kalbfell View Post
Tony: IMO there are several reason that some proxies struggle.
They need to be "driven" by the organizer,by keeping the thread active all the time.
The Rounds need to be well reported and as close together as possible.
Very well written. Both go hand in hand. I don't participate in very many proxies but over years reading the proxy threads I have seen several good proxies come and go unfortunately for various reasons.

Rob
Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 PM
National Racer
View Mitch58's Photo Album

I for one enjoy participating and following the various proxies. I currently have eight cars entered in five proxies, and one ready for an upcoming proxy. I just figured it was a good use for some of those cars that were just sitting on the shelf.

We have several proxies that pass thru our group here in Portland. I enjoy driving some of the cars and find it very interesting and educational to see how others set these cars up. I seen things done to cars that I would never have thought of on my own.

It is also a learning experience, the first cars I entered were usually bringing up the rear, but a couple of years later they are in the upper middle of the pack with a few podium finishes and even a couple of wins.

There were some interesting proxies run before I ever got involved, it would be nice to see some of these recycled a couple more times.

Last edited by Mitch58; 05-18-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:53 AM
Championship Contender
View Sports Racer's Photo Album

I used to run 2 proxies, the IPS for a few years and the Scratchbuilt Group 5 for a year. When I went through some hard times it was good that Alexis took over the IPS and kept it going. The Group 5 proxy died a quick death because my heart wasn't in it.

With the IPS the races were scheduled every 2 weeks where possible and at tracks across the world so most of the people who entered had an opportunity to see the cars and get involved 1st hand. Tracks were chosen that were good at reporting races and there were lost of posts to keep everyone informed.

Tony, have a look at a good proxy and see how often there are new posts. You'll also find lots of info about the cars entered with plenty of pictures. Now look at a not so good proxy. You have to keep the momentum up the whole time, from asking for entries to posting the cars back.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by Sports Racer; 05-20-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Top Qualifier
View greenman62's Photo Album

Default Burnout?

Who knows?

Graham Lane, the organizer of the Mini Mille Miglia in Italy seems to think that events like these proxies get the maximum participation over a course of about 3 years. Another person mentioned that proxies used to be "one shot" or one race affairs and that following a race series over the course of a couple of years is too much and interest wanes.

I can only speak to my personal experience with the TLOR race series. I took the race over from (if memory serves) DaVols several years ago. I had hoped to inspire the builders to come forward by offering points for cars that not only ran well but looked good too... a concours... like what's held at a number of vintage race events. Organizing an event of this scope is like herding cats. Most of us are not retired so we have squeeze building race cars in with all the other stuff we have to do. I get that. It does make life a bit more challenging for an organizer, retired or not.

Once you have people committed to enter, you have to organize the venues... Which may change over the course of a series. Once the date for a start is declared folks will look at that date and will be "punctual" with their entries arriving well in advance of the start date. Others will blow past it with nary a thought and then tell you they're only a day or two away from finishing and to "go ahead with the race I'll take my hit points-wise for the races I missed". Still other entrants will back out entirely for one reason or another... often without letting the organizer know. See? ...herding cats. Delays create a ripple effect down the line. For instance one of the venues of the TLOR this year is gone... as in the track owner is moving and the track was taken apart and no longer exists!

Postage and customs have changed over the course of the last few years. I feel it necessary to insure our toys arrive and that I had some means of tracking where they are at any given moment (take my responsibility in that regard very seriously). This adds to shipping costs. On top of all that the poisonous political atmosphere that exists these days make me a bit apprehensive about sending the cars to the international venues in Canada... CANADA!!! Who the hell knew that might even be an issue?!?

I've stuck with the TLOR Series because the era is a favorite of mine. Many folks have no clue what road racing in the post war era was like. They don't know the personalities nor have they heard of many of the cars of the period (ever heard of a Jowett Jupiter?). I feel a hobby should be an opportunity to learn as well as have fun... we should share information not only about slot racing and building better/faster cars but about the real cars and people who inspired our "toys".

I'm pretty sure the TLOR Proxy series (unless someone steps forward) will end with this year's series. I"m reaching my personal burn out point and probably will not go through the effort to do another.

FYI... This year the TLOR has 5 entrants and a total (at this point) of 7 cars in two classes.

Greenman62

Last edited by greenman62; 05-21-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:38 PM
SCI Administrator
View slotbutton's Photo Album

I'll be fist to admit that organisers enthusiasm is most probably the biggest driver!

And as part of the Slot.it Shootout I've failed miserably at it this year well last year that ended up in this year. Life circumstances and a plethora of excuses don't really change the fact there is also a certain amount of contentment?
Not sure that is the right word - but I think the longer a Proxy series has been around the more complacent organisers and hosts are? I know from personal experience I've assumed people know rather than providing good coverage and information/pictures every year
Old 05-24-2017, 01:52 AM
Championship Contender

You can't take the entrants for granted. You need to provide them with lots of info and pictures from each round to keep up the enthusiasm.

I'm so tempted to get back into organising another one I've asked for expressions of interest for the Slot Car Illustrated Touring Car proxy just to see if there's any interest out there.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Championship Contender
View arroldn's Photo Album

I have entered cars in several proxies. It looks like this years RAA will rebound. But it is not where it used to be as in the number of cars entered. Not sure if the Pony Car Wars proxy will have a 2017 series. Few cars last year, however the Trans Am proxy on HRW has a very large field of cars in it's second year. The Forums Cup of which I am a host is continuing strong with 30 plus cars in the field. I haven't participated in other proxies because of interest in the car type and ability to build a fast car. Podded chassis cars have been my weakness. I am in the Group 5 and finished on the bottom 2 yrs in a row. Could have been the car chosen. A Moby Dick Porsche which many said had to much rear over hang. Will I enter again? Yes new BMW M1.

Proxy racing is fun. But it helps if the series keeps moving and there are not months between the events. We know life happens and we make adjustments but 3 months between events causes ones interest to wane.

Arrold
Old 05-29-2017, 06:30 PM
Championship Contender
View silverhelmet's Photo Album

Default Just a few corrections

Hi Guys, Just to clear up the TLOR quandry. It was begun by an un-named blaggard in NC that took all the entry money from the first year and has stayed under the radar ever since. Thankfully he sent me the cars and we proceeded as quickly as possible. The first three or four tracks were ones I had set up around my home in Chicagoland. Greenman was an entrant but declined to help with the artwork or trophies even tho he knew the author Burt Levy who was also a friend of mine. That year at Meadowdale (in Elmhurst IL), Burt judged the concourse that first year. Pictures (3 view) of EVERY entry were on SCI for all to enjoy. We kept the rules simple enough for a pretty large entry in two classes which gave us a great turnout. Burt was even gracious enough to donate some books for prizes. In the end by some quirk of fate my XK120 was victorious out in the west coast enough to squeek thru as overall first place in the big motor class. (I am sure it was the drivers you have out there). So with that history I refrained from entering the second year but started hitting up sponsors for prizes. But it came off without a problem as we did it again and got an even better entry of cars. We kept the schedule tight and were done in less than six months and every entry got a prize. I think we had about half of the same tracks to run the next year but also another half a dozen joined in for maybe a dozen total. For the following year Greenman stepped up the plate after that and the rest is as they say.............history. Somehow he thought I changed my name.

Last edited by silverhelmet; 05-29-2017 at 06:34 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-30-2017, 03:18 AM
Championship Contender

I may be weird but I like the pace of the current TLOR proxy. Every time there's an update it's like finding $10 in your pocket that you forgot all about.

In this world of fast food and stress it's a nice relaxing break.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:15 PM
Championship Contender
View Alcopa's Photo Album

I have certainly enjoyed entering some (Slot.it Shootout and TLOR) and really enjoyed hosting others (TLOR and VRAA) and will do so again as soon as Black Point 2.0 is ready!!! I have meant to get a car in VRAA and now they have two classes -but as it may not come off, I will say in advance that I understand the burn-out factor.

I have already promised my old club a Group 5 Proxy that will run in Norcal and here in Boise -but we'll have to see beyond that... Would still love to do VRAA however (with a Lotus 24 BRM !!!)

Steve
Old 05-30-2017, 05:29 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Racer View Post
In this world of fast food and stress it's a nice relaxing break.
Fast food and stress? Gimme a break, we all know you work for the government. If your food's fast well that's just the nature of crocodiles and kangaroos, mate.