MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 05-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Novice Racer
View teamonslot's Photo Album

Love the replies but you can always come to the source, I don't bite

Ceramic Super Stock has been a staple class in HOPRA for over 40 years. This is ONE class of car which requires ceramic magnets. Other classes require different magnet packages. There is something for everyone

C4 Spec Racer is a great class. The cars are are fun and fast! C4 magnets are 10-12% stronger than ceramic magnets. The are also 10th of the cost to produce vs ceramic material. The are more consistent to produce. Those are just a few reasons why manufacturers typically put those in there production cars.

Both Ceramic and C4-Spec Stock have both been the highest participation class in recent history. This is why we run 3 of these classes at the Nationals, Amature SS, Pro SS, and Speck Stock.

Both are great classes! Different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Championship Contender
View Eric Peterson's Photo Album

Rosy
you could call it C4 Super Stock.
The spec heading refers to gear and tire limitations when using c4.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Championship Contender
View neorules's Photo Album

Rosy are u near Lucky Bob's?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Novice Racer
View Rosy's Photo Album

Neorules

We are in S.E. Iowa so its a 6hr drive I think. We where up there a coupla yrs ago for a 1\24 scale race. We got to play alittle with are HO cars while there, but would like to make a HO race.

I still need to talk to the rest of the club about what I found out here so we can come to an agreement on rules for this class.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:11 PM
National Champion
View slotking's Photo Album

having raced both ceramic and ceramic grade cars, I am a ceramic magnet fan. the poly mags make the car too easy to drive for me. ie.. less of a challenge.

that said, local groups can run what they want. For the NATs, it easy to get ceramic magnets for each car make! heck slottech even sells viper/G3 traction magnets 845 'G-Tech' Traction Magnets

speaking of which, my best t1 SS finally broke. very sad day, I have had it for many years
Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 AM
Novice Racer
View Rosy's Photo Album

My daughter and I have 2 storms and 2 G3 ceramic SS. WE ran the class a coupla yrs ago, in are club.
The club voted to run them again next year and some warmup races this summer. Some of the guys are exited to try out the new vipers with traction mags, as we have had success running them in the Brass class. But they and it seams all stock cars are coming with CM magnets so everybody assumes that they are legal for super stock. Going over to the shop tonight to talk with some of the guys, and we will see what we decide!

Either way it will be a fun class ceramic or Compression Molded SS, or c4 spec class.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:39 PM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

If you must use ceramic magnets BSRT G3 type magnets will fit the Viper chassis, but that combination might not be legal. You would have to ask before you buy anything. HOCOC will be running a Spec Stock class this coming season and I have C4 magnets on the way to replace the ceramic ones in a G3 car. I will measure both sets of magnets. When I compared the Storm magnets they were nearly the same. I also built two Spec Stock Viper cars and those are very fast.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:56 PM
National Racer
View gmcullan's Photo Album

Richard, read the rules. Specified are stock ceramic or ceramic grade compression molded poymer. I have the stock ceramics in my BSRT Spec car and they are at no noticeable disadvantage on the track,
Old 05-18-2017, 06:01 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

I ordered the polymer magnets in order to compare them with the older ceramic magnets. I will measure them and compare their performance on the track as well. I need more practice taking G3 and Viper cars apart and putting them back together. Since I had some Viper chassis plus a few other spare parts hanging around I decided to order enough parts to complete two cars, which are now running very well by the way. My experience with measuring a limited number of Wizzard magnets is that at least those are equivalent.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Novice Racer
View Rosy's Photo Album

Well we talked last night and did some hot lap testing. So after that we decided to run an outlaw SS class ceramic and CM grade 4 legal. To keep cost down for the people that never plan on going to a nats race.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Championship Contender
View neorules's Photo Album

Rosy-- most clubs that run the 2 types of magnet cars together have the c4 type run slip-ons and the ceramic run any tire. Closer racing that way.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Novice Racer
View Rosy's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
I ordered the polymer magnets in order to compare them with the older ceramic magnets. I will measure them and compare their performance on the track as well. I need more practice taking G3 and Viper cars apart and putting them back together. Since I had some Viper chassis plus a few other spare parts hanging around I decided to order enough parts to complete two cars, which are now running very well by the way. My experience with measuring a limited number of Wizzard magnets is that at least those are equivalent.
Let us know your findings, always good to get more than 1 persons take on things
Old 05-18-2017, 04:40 PM
National Champion
View slotking's Photo Album

HOPRA is ceramic only.
If the magnets were approved by HOPRA and they fit a car, they are legal.
So you can use the slottech or BRST mags in the VIPER.

We also raced ceramic vs ceramic grade poly with no tire restrictions.

I still pulled of some wins with my ceramic mag T1.

The poly mags cars handle the turns a lot better (easier to drive)