MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM
National Racer
View plymouth71's Photo Album

Default Help designing a 4 lane HO track on a hollow core door

I took possession of my 1st House yesterday. I have the uninteresting task of cleaning it inside and out before we officially move in. However. I will gain a garage and possibly a section of the basement for which to run my slots. As much as I'd like to build a track for myself, I have committed myself to build a track for my church youth group. I recently gave them some more cars to run and I'd like to build a permanent/portable 4 lane track to race on.

I have a lot of tyco track, so I think I will run with that. I need some direction as I've never done this before. I will have to keep costs down as my budget is nearly zilch. I'm not sure what would be best for the base. I need something they can put away after use, so I'm thinking a Hollowcore door.
This will be taken down and put away on a fairly regular basis. I figure i will just use the wall warts for now. I have a donation of blue foam insulation I can use for sprucing it up scenery-wise. Can anybody offer any track Ideas? I'm open to suggestions on size and layouts as I'm going to approach the local hardware store about donating a door and I'll offer to put some advertising on it.

Comments???

I'm thinking something like this : Link
Old 07-23-2012, 05:23 PM
National Racer

Anybody?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 AM
International Racer
View Porsche911's Photo Album

Hi, try this link. Although AFX track it could be applied...
http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/RaceSets.html

and main layout page has lots of other intersting ideas
http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/Layouts.html

Personally I built my 'own' layout, 4 lanes on 2 tables, just started with what I thought would be challenging, and tried to 'meet at the end'...a little tinkering and voila!

Best of luck!

Drew
Old 07-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Club Racer
View hoslotdoctor's Photo Album

I managed to fit 4 lanes w/60 foot lap lengths (switchable to two-lane 120ft length) on a 4x8 table. Pretty much used the same strategy as 911 did: took all my track, started playing around with it until I found a layout that I thought was challenging, fun, and used all my available track. Did a bit of tweaking to make sure the lap length and challenge was the same for each lane, and voila!
I can post pics if you're interested.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
National Racer
View chipsta040365's Photo Album

Post the pics

Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Top Qualifier
View boopiejones's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymouth71 View Post
I took possession of my 1st House yesterday. I have the uninteresting task of cleaning it inside and out before we officially move in. However. I will gain a garage and possibly a section of the basement for which to run my slots. As much as I'd like to build a track for myself, I have committed myself to build a track for my church youth group. I recently gave them some more cars to run and I'd like to build a permanent/portable 4 lane track to race on.

I have a lot of tyco track, so I think I will run with that. I need some direction as I've never done this before. I will have to keep costs down as my budget is nearly zilch. I'm not sure what would be best for the base. I need something they can put away after use, so I'm thinking a Hollowcore door.
This will be taken down and put away on a fairly regular basis. I figure i will just use the wall warts for now. I have a donation of blue foam insulation I can use for sprucing it up scenery-wise. Can anybody offer any track Ideas? I'm open to suggestions on size and layouts as I'm going to approach the local hardware store about donating a door and I'll offer to put some advertising on it.

Comments???

I'm thinking something like this : Link
that looks like a nice layout. my advice would be to build it on a 36 inch door, which will give you more options if you want to switch it up later. i started out with the "tuckaway 25" layout from hoslotcarracing.com: http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/Layouts.html#36x80
Old 07-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Club Racer

A pic while it was still in the design phase is attached. I'll take some finished pics and post them later today. A couple of tweaks were made before it was final, and I added a set of butterfly wings (double 360s in opposing directions for each lane).
Note what I did during design, just laid the track down without actually connecting it to each other. This allowed me to rapidly make adjustments during design. This will also help determine where your power taps should go, multiple power taps being a must for track this length. My track has 6 power taps total, so every 20 feet there is a tap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Design Phase.jpg (87.9 KB, 81 views)
Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Club Racer

Forgot about the fact that I said I was going to post an updated picture after adjustments. Here it is. Note the lack of landscaping or permanent wooden track supports. Those will be added after the track has gone through extensive play-testing to ensure that the track is fun, even and equally challenging for all lanes. You don't want to lock yourself into a layout until you are absolutely sure. Despite the large amount of track on a limited space, the most complex track crossing is still only three layers. I'll also be posting a build thread once I have the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Track layout.jpg (74.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
National Racer

Well, this will be a permanent track when I'm finished. I finished the track plan with Tyco track and it looks good.

I'm in the process of tracking down the last few pieces of track. I'll be using Tyco Wall Warts and controllers, not sure what I will do for lap counters tho. This is for my Church youth group and I just don't have the funds to buy a nice set up. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Club Racer

Well, that depends on how even you want to make it. I notice that the white lane is the inside corner significantly more than the outside. Its usually best to try to even the outside vs inside as much as possible.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Club Racer

Additionally, if you'll be using wall warts, its best to power each lane with a separate wart. It is also beneficial to separate the negative rails so you don't end up with interference between lanes from the negative. If you intend to wire in direction switches then that is an absolute must.
My track will be a permanent setup, i just like a nice long play testing phase before i build the wooden support structure and permanently attach the track.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:55 AM
National Racer

The races will consist of each racer running each car on each lane accumulating points. the over all points leader will be the winner.