AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 AM
Novice Racer
View ben-thayer's Photo Album

Default A question on plywood for table

Hello all,

I want to mount my layout on plywood with perhaps some artificial turf. The problem I'm having is related to plywood sheet size.

The only size I'm finding at Home Depot is 4x8. How does everyone accommodate larger layouts? I want to set up a 5x9 layout but I can't find any sheets of plywood with a similar size. I did see that it's sold in 5x10 sheets, but HD doesn't have them. I guess I could extend the 4x8 sheet, but I'd rather just get the correct size.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM
National Racer
View Z-carfan's Photo Album

I've never seen the 5x10's that would be amazing.
My thought is 2 4x8's cut to 5 ft long, that way only 2 cuts and less patching. Of course what to do with the 3x4 remants? BUild bigger or use for elevation chnages!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:26 AM
National Racer
View Z-carfan's Photo Album

Actually with the build I'm doing I went with 2 4x8 sheets, but I am going 4 x 16 total size so I could get some long runs. I was fortunate enough to have the extra room for it.
I am building the 'bertrand' 8 track I saw on the forum here. I was goint to cut down to 3.5 as it would fit, but wanted the table space incase I decided to go bigger.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:28 PM
International Racer
View MikeySlotCars's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben-thayer View Post
Hello all,

I want to mount my layout on plywood with perhaps some artificial turf. The problem I'm having is related to plywood sheet size.

The only size I'm finding at Home Depot is 4x8. How does everyone accommodate larger layouts? I want to set up a 5x9 layout but I can't find any sheets of plywood with a similar size. I did see that it's sold in 5x10 sheets, but HD doesn't have them.
Maybe it's just BO? (back order) did you ask them if they going to received some soon? (5x10)
You may have just a few days of waiting , then just ask them to make one cut on it so you'll have what you're looking for (5x9) & keep the extras piece ~1x5 for further use on something?

Or you could always check for an used ping pong table for sale somewhere near your home?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Novice Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySlotCars View Post
Maybe it's just BO? (back order) did you ask them if they going to received some soon? (5x10)
You may have just a few days of waiting , then just ask them to make one cut on it so you'll have what you're looking for (5x9) & keep the extras piece ~1x5 for further use on something?

Or you could always check for an used ping pong table for sale somewhere near your home?
I haven't been into the store, but I did a quick chat session with a customer rep. Seems as if I've seen bigger sized stuff there however. I'll drop in this weekend and see.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:24 PM
International Racer
View GT47's Photo Album

Default Have you considered?

Some folks use hollow core wood door blanks put together with dowels and glue or biscuit joints, it's a good sturdy, lighter - than - plywood option.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Novice Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT47 View Post
Some folks use hollow core wood door blanks put together with dowels and glue or biscuit joints, it's a good sturdy, lighter - than - plywood option.
Not bad...$24 each, and 25lbs. But only 80" long. I'm gonna need at least 108", so it would take 3.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Top Qualifier
View The Old Jaybird's Photo Album

Default not an oddball size

5x9 is standard size for Ping-Pong tables. You just need to keep looking for plywood that size, or buy a Ping-Pong table.

TOJ
Old 01-31-2014, 06:10 AM
National Racer
View rubber2ice's Photo Album

You need to check with commercial lumber suppliers/distributors for the oversize stuff. HD carries stuff primarily for DIY'ers and not many have need for 5x10 sheets.

Unless the sheet itself, without framing for support is being used for the track base, then you could use 4x8 and patch in the other pcs. 5x10 sheets are massive, you'll need help moving them and they don't always go around corners as a 4x8 will.

Have fun.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 PM
National Racer
View woodman's Photo Album

Unless you find a supplier that caters to cabinet shops you can get Baltic birch in 5X5 sheets,you are sol!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 AM
National Racer
View JCIS4ME's Photo Album

I myself would build the table first then sheet over it to the size you need, and the left over pieces make driver stations and some shelves underneath to house extras. I have limited space so any where I can make a cubby hole to store something . . .
My buck 298's worth
Marty