AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 AM
National Racer
View Shoryukev's Photo Album

Default 5x12 ft SCX-D layout ideas?

Good morning all,

I recently built myself a table 5ft x 12ft and am brainstorming layouts, anyone have any they run on a similar size and enjoy?

It might be notable that I have banked, standard and inner curve radiuses, a pit road section, and a chicane (wish I had the sliding curve, soon lol). I have the parts on order for a 4 lane starting grid, I plan to utilize 3 lanes of it for about 1/3 of the layout (main straight and a few corners before and after), then the rest 2 lane.

I am willing to make track supports for elevation changes, and am planning to do so for at least one crossover. I am fairly new to this so sometimes my ideas on the computer don't end up flowing as well in real life as they do in my head, so I'm reaching out for outside input. Thanks in advance This forum rules
Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 AM
National Racer

Here are a few ideas I had, but I have had absolutely ZERO experience with crossovers/elevations. Any thoughts?

Looking at these layouts, I would like to try some ideas incorporating more left turns to try and even out the length of the lanes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #1.jpg (46.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg #2.jpg (40.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM
National Racer
View Thiy's Photo Album

Take a look in my gallery, maybe my layout might interest you . Happy building.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:25 AM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiy View Post
Take a look in my gallery, maybe my layout might interest you . Happy building.
Thanks Some of those are really fun looking!

I really like the different versions of this one, seems like you played around a little bit with the location of where the bridge/crossover happens. Which version did you end up liking the best?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:41 AM
National Racer
View Thiy's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoryukev View Post
Thanks Some of those are really fun looking!

I really like the different versions of this one, seems like you played around a little bit with the location of where the bridge/crossover happens. Which version did you end up liking the best?
Yeah! I played around with it for a very long time. I ended up with the above picture. It has a very nice flow. Now, if only I have to build a table ... lol
Old 10-14-2014, 12:00 PM
National Racer

It took me a full year of setting up and tearing down outside on our deck and dealing with weather permitting me to play (ohio....we get rain/snow/you name it ) before I finally built a table.

So far I'm still playing around with the design of the pulleys in the rafters of our basement, but it is moving up and down decently as is and I have it covered with some felt and smothered with track It definitely isn't the fanciest system on here, but I have fun with it.

I setup a modification of one of the layouts I posted first and ended up keeping it all weekend. Went with 4 lanes across the starting grid instead of 3 because my pit stalls didn't seem to like 3. Now that my hand has been forced with 4 lanes on the main straight, I think a lot of the track needs to be expanded to 3 lanes. It is a little difficult to get to pit road, multiple lane changes are needed....if the rest of the track was wider I could minimize that.

Anyways here's what I came up with for now. Next weekend I am going to try and mess around with a variation of yours. I really like that yours has several spots of decent length straights.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:50 PM
National Racer

After playing around with the track for awhile, I decided I don't like the 4 lane starting gate. It would be cool to have a spot somewhere with 4 lanes, but across the grid it kinda just makes it harder to get into the pits....

I came up with two more layouts to try hopefully this weekend, trying to simplify things a tad bit. What do you guys think?

I have decided to put all the long straight sections on the backside of the table, and relocate the controller boxes remotely. I think it will make marshalling the track much easier, since you don't really deslot on the straights.......but you sure as heck have to lean over the straights to get to the cars

I've also since added a few other things. A start light and a PC lap counter connection, as well as a super-sliding curve and several single-lane curve pieces

Hopefully this looks better than my first attempts. I'd like to think I'm slowly but surely learning how to do this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (46.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

Interesting.
The 4 lane section looks pretty pointless... unless that's the pit lane with a second lane?
Either way, you have a TON of the pit lane changers. I would suggest trying the idea of splitting off to three lanes, but merge the OTHER two lanes at the end, even in a very short distance. This gives one lane a straight shot if they don't change lanes, but the other lane will end up at the merge point. This can be used strategically where a car might WANT to change lanes in order to be on the inside lane (or outside) at the next turn. A couple of these doing the opposite of one another can really spice up a layout, making drivers think ahead and be strategic.
I see you have the chicanes and a bypass lane, or is that the pit lane? If it's a bypass, then I'd eliminate it, 'cus that will be the no brainer route to take. It would be better to put the straight chicane between the other two lanes so that a car can not avoid both, but not be put through both, either. Put a LC between them, and a quick thinker could avoid them both, or take them both to get around a slow driver. ;-)
The SCX track library does have a lot of options. I like how the squeezes are true squeezes. There's no debate whether two cars will fit through at once.... they won't.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:41 AM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlippant View Post
Interesting.
The 4 lane section looks pretty pointless... unless that's the pit lane with a second lane?
Either way, you have a TON of the pit lane changers. I would suggest trying the idea of splitting off to three lanes, but merge the OTHER two lanes at the end, even in a very short distance. This gives one lane a straight shot if they don't change lanes, but the other lane will end up at the merge point. This can be used strategically where a car might WANT to change lanes in order to be on the inside lane (or outside) at the next turn. A couple of these doing the opposite of one another can really spice up a layout, making drivers think ahead and be strategic.
I see you have the chicanes and a bypass lane, or is that the pit lane? If it's a bypass, then I'd eliminate it, 'cus that will be the no brainer route to take. It would be better to put the straight chicane between the other two lanes so that a car can not avoid both, but not be put through both, either. Put a LC between them, and a quick thinker could avoid them both, or take them both to get around a slow driver. ;-)
The SCX track library does have a lot of options. I like how the squeezes are true squeezes. There's no debate whether two cars will fit through at once.... they won't.
I like the idea of using the 3 lane section to "shift" things over. That way the middle lane has a thru-passage.......but the other two lanes either have to shift over at the beginning or the end. Depending on what happens during the section.....drivers may want to take different routes to get the groove they want. excellent idea!

As far as the chicane with the bypass lane, I agree as well. I've done it before where there's a lane bypassing the chicane....but immediately gets forced back over after the chicane to create an alternate "3-lane chicane" and it worked really well.....but I don't have room for it on my table, especially with the squeeze corner having straight entrance/exit pieces. The idea I was going for is that the entrance to the chicane has an option for left or right so that when two cars are entering and neither want to lift off the throttle....there's an alternate path.

I tried to do my best at interpreting those ideas, and I added some labeling so you can better tell what's going on (the 4-lane section is indeed the pit-road). The only thing I don't like about this new layout is that other than my long sweeping curve on the bottom right.....I've managed to completely do away with my R1's. I'll have to brainstorm somewhere to add one or two of them in. I also have two more single-lane curves so I'll play around with it.

This look better? I think it does, and again I've learned a little bit I think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (44.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:19 AM
National Racer

Here's another one, incorporating more R1's and the 3-lane shifting idea. I think it looks good (especially when compared at my first attempts )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (49.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 AM
SCI Administrator
View kidvoltage's Photo Album

In my opinion the single lane chicane is a most obnoxious piece of track that doubles as a car collector. If you have enough straight sections I would remove it and let the lane changing element of the track play a bigger role.

Basically it's gimmick track. You don't need that on a real race course.

I would also reduce the pit lane exit by one section so you can relocate the crossover track prior to the pit entrance. Otherwise I like the layout and the arrangement of lane changers though the x-over on the right shortly after the curve x-over might be better served on the far left side after you remove the chicane.

And... I might change the lower left so that it's a couple of 45º turns rather than a 90º. My personal preference is to avoid 90º turns as much as possible. Too square for my taste.

But that's just me.

Last edited by kidvoltage; 02-27-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 AM
National Racer

The chicane is a love/hate thing. I will probably try it with and without it (the wife really likes it, I think my older design having the bypass lane might have been my subconscious effort at avoiding it ). I somehow ended up with a lot more track than table, so I have plenty of room to mix things up and try new ideas. When I first got into slot cars again I was setting everything up outside on a deck, so I made sure I had lots of track......honestly kinda miss the 20ft straights maybe when we buy a house in 4-6 months I can build a longer table, fingers crossed.

Can I shorten the pit exit section without making it a single-lane stop? I'm kinda stuck with at least 2 lanes for fuel cuz when we run 4-6 cars we all seem to get in each other's way in the pits, especially when my dad has trouble figuring out how to go into fueling mode and ram's into the back of people

The 90° thing doesn't bother me when it's with the banked R3's.....but I agree with you on the standard R2's, it's just a little bland. Maybe I can get my hands on a few of the R3/R4 curves that are 22.5° instead of 45°, that would really help me mix things up. It would be nice to NOT have everything at horizontal/vertial or 45°
Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 PM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

IMHO , chicanes are great... for analog. But for digital, where we have interaction between lanes in SPADES, they're unneeded. You have them, so you want to use them, but you will probably want to get rid of them at some point... if you get some friends over for "real" racing. I used to have a crossover turn and a squeeze. I don't any more. ;-)

But, I agree with KidVoltage on the changes.

Also, you might find that an R1 fits really nicely BETWEEN two R2 turns. It also makes a nice non-square turn, which you can finish off with other turns to smooth things out.

Keep playing, and having fun. Eventually you'll find what you like most and end up sticking with it for a longer time.