MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 11-25-2014, 06:28 AM
National Racer
View Big Bill's Photo Album

Default Cleaning Sport track

A friend loaned me a huge amount of Sport track to mess around with. Most of it is in real good shape, but all of it is very dirty, any tips on cleaning the track pieces would be welcomed. After I setup a little test section I wiped the track down with a lightly damped towel and then let it dry, that worked OK but I can still see some grime on most of the track. After just a few laps the tires are totally dirty again and traction just goes away. Thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 08:02 AM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

Sounds like a similar situation as me with some used track I got. The previous owner used tire glue to help the cars stay on the track. I have yet to find a solution that will completely clean the surface that I'm not worried will ruin the track.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Top Qualifier
View dw5555's Photo Album

I just used Windex on my Carrera without an issue. I would think on Scaley just wipe it with a dry cloth after the windex.
Dave
Old 11-25-2014, 05:33 PM
National Racer
View Big Bill's Photo Album

Thanks guys I will give that a try.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:32 AM
National Racer
View tycosaur's Photo Album

A few months ago my wife told me that she had a hard time trying to get the floor clean from the over spray of hair spray on the vinyl floor.

Just Google, how to remove hair spray from vinyl flooring. I would think it should work on plastic track too.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Novice Racer

I was looking this up on a few different sites too. Some people swear by Formula 409 (not the oven cleaner)and a few others highly recommend most any of the citrus cleaners out there for all plastic tracks. The claim was the citrus didn't dry out or make track tabs brittle like other cleaners.
I've yet to try either for myself, but I just bought some 409 for this. I'll try it 1st chance I get and let you know how it turns out.
I like the idea behind the citrus cleaners a lot. I just don't know how valid those claims are. I'll pick up citrus next chance I get too. One can never have too many cleaners...except maybe my wife!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:28 PM
National Racer
View DVD3500's Photo Album

I use the purest alcohol I can get my hands on (you may have to go to a pharmacy to get it).
You must use it in a well ventilated place (ideally outside) but it will cut through almost everything and evaporates so quickly you you don't need to wipe it down again.

It will remove any paint/markings on the track (some track has yellow warning/hazard signs painted on it).

If the rails are heavily corroded some people bathe it in cola (any brand). Some thin the cola, some use it pure. I used a 60/40 cola/water mix and it didn't do squat...
Old 02-15-2016, 05:35 AM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru

Won't the cola CAUSE corrosion?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:43 AM
National Racer
View Billy boy's Photo Album

I put carrera track in the dishwasher,drying option off,came out very clean. Try one piece of the scalextric track and see how it goes.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:01 AM
National Racer
View DVD3500's Photo Album

Quote:
Won't the cola CAUSE corrosion?
You never dropped a quarter (25 cent piece for the non North Americans) in a glass of coke as part of chemistry class?
Leave it in there over night and it is gone the next morning...
Cola dissolves almost all oxidation and eats into most reactive metals (will not eat stainless steal for example).

Of course after a cola bath you have to wash and dry the track after the cola bath.
Here is more on the subject:
http://www.adriansslotcarworld.co.uk/ChmClean.htm

Like I said, I used a 60/40 cola/water mix and all it did was make the track (really, massively rusted Scaley Classic stuff) wet, no additional corrosion. I haven't had a chance to try a pure cola bath yet...
Old 02-15-2016, 08:19 AM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru

Got it. So the trick is to do the bath long enough to get rid of the corrosion, but not long enough to eat away the rails themselves. Still seems risky to me, especially since Scalextric is NOT stainless steel, and the cola will probably get rid of any remaining nickel plating as fast as it does the rust, but if the alternative is a piece of track that's useless anyway, what's the harm?
Old 02-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Novice Racer

Default Mild acidic solution ideas?

I can't see coke bath being strong enough to eat the rails, at least I don't think so. Hell now I have to try and see if I can dissolve a track rail. Does anyone know the exact metal composition of our track types? I'd imagine it varies greatly between brands/scales. I never saw the quarter experiment, but I think I recall dissolving a steel nail in cola back in 7th grade. I can't be sure though. I have enough damaged track to try a few solutions. I've seen my wife work miracles w/ lemon juice removing rust stains, I'm going to see what it does to tracks while I'm at it.
Can you guys think of another mild acidic solution I should try while I'm at this? I'd like to try as many as possible at the same time if it's not a big hassle. I have the time and track so what the hell. Please chime in w/ others you can think of.
Thanks, JD
Old 02-15-2016, 11:55 AM
Novice Racer

Default Please look

I found this on a google search, many many ways of removing rust w/ various solutions. Which ones do you think would best apply to our interests?
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Rust-from-Metal
Thanks, JD
Old 03-12-2016, 03:53 PM
National Racer
View Headhunter's Photo Album

I'm in the same boat. Have about 50 pieces of Ninco that are rusty. Guess trying a bunch of methods won't hurt anything. Know for sure that sanding, grinding , anything abrasive is not good, will leave grooves that the rust will hide in and fester. After cleaning, definitely use rail zip or tranny fluid, not wd40. If someone finds the magic elixir, please share!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:53 AM
National Racer
View Headhunter's Photo Album

Okay folks, here's what I found. $170 spent, and 4 hours soaking, scrubbing on a bunch of "rust removers". Here's the list and how they worked. Rated 1-10
*Metal Rescue-Not too bad, didn't get into the pitted areas, after rinsing left a yellowy tint, like it was starting to rust again. Air blown dry, then hung in the breeze. Rating-5
*Eastwood Fast Etch- didn't work and made the plastic discolored, R-2
*CLR- Nope, nothing not
*Evapo-Rust- worked okay, took off surface rust, had to scrub after soaking 4 times, I'm tired and sore, R-6
*Rust-oleum Rust Stripper- Worked well at first, then after 2 hours noticed discolor, wiped it off, came back an hour later. R-6
*Phelby- Good for rail cleaning, conditioning, not a hard deep rust remover, and same make-up as Mercon ATF.
*Whink- Took rust off immediately, then came back immediately, weird, tried again, same. R-3
*Citric Acid- Worked okay, smelled like oranges, have to move fast with this. R-6
*WD40 Rust remover- Not, horrible stuff, not okay on plastics! R-1
*Safety clean- Good on the rails, hard on the plastic, leaves bad residue R-1
*Baking soda- way too much scrubbing, pastey, and couldn't find the exact mixture, R-2
*Coke-Nah, never liked the stuff
*Ketchup, Mayo- worked good on my hotdog, otherwise...
*White Vinegar- The winner! Soaked for 2 hours, put in bin that you can cover or has a lid, used regular plastic scuff pad(not steel wool!!), put back in vinegar for another hour, repeat scrub, rinsed, blow dry with air compressor. Hang dry. Works for me, couple of black spots where rust was deep, but works great. Not a cure all, but definitely brought back the track. R-8.5-9
*Only rub the rails, careful not to scrub the plastic, you will notice it when dried that all the little nubbies are frayed and discolored.
*I used 1/4 cup of Dawn in a 5 gallon bucket(4gal. hot water) scrubbed track after with a nylon brush, air blown dry and hung.
*Rub ATF tranny fluid on rails (very light coating), not on plastic.
*Another suggestion, if you find rails are too pitted, the rails are easily removed from the track, bend tabs back on bottom of track and pull up rail, careful to not bend or warp, replace with better ones. Cheaper than buying new track, and why throw it away if you can salvage and repurpose! You can also pull all the rails out of the track and have them nickel plated, costs about $15 per rail, 2 gallons Vinegar $5, you do the math.
Now this test was only done over a 4 hour period, so don't know what long term results are. Would say 85-90% new looking. So there you have it. I've got 20 pieces soaking in the bin. Can't wait to set up the track!!

Last edited by Headhunter; 03-13-2016 at 09:06 AM.