NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 03-14-2016, 07:18 AM
National Racer
View Headhunter's Photo Album

I tell you what, this is kicking my $#!. My back ain't what it used to be! Very labor intensive and time consuming. 24 hours in and only 20 pieces of track complete, take out some sleep and eat time. But shiny and almost new looking, so guess I'll keep trudging along. The only thing that stops me from tossing the towel is knowing that I'll have another kick$#@ track up in about a week or two. But holy cow this is kicking my $#!.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Novice Racer

Default Awesome report Headhunter!

I tried many of your tests as well(well maybe 1/2) and even took pictures to try to show progress. Well I learned I can't take pics w/ my new camera w/o a tripod! UGHH So much time and effort and nothing much to show for it except a huge mess. I'm waiting on a jug of Evapo-rust sadly, I thought this was going to be the ticket until I read your findings. I have other projects for it I think.
White Vinegar has always been the go to for tools, so I shouldn't be surprised by the results. One would think that after all these years, technology would have delivered a better product for this. Tried and true wins the day again it seems.
I feel your pain too. Bending over this stuff from my wheelchair is just torture. This getting older crap isn't for sissies is it?
What is the best way to apply ATF to the rails and not the plastic? I'm betting you have a tip for this 1 too. I have an idea I'm going to try, please tell me what you think about it. I found a felt tip pen w/ the WD-40 logo on it, I don't recall buying it. It's literally a felt tip applicator for pin point apps of WD-40. Do you think ATF would flow similar to WD if I were to replace the contents w/ ATF? I think ATF is a little thicker viscosity wise, I think I'll try it. I know it's great for pin points like rails, and I think it could be a time saver too.

Thanks for taking the time to do this for us all, I greatly appreciate your efforts and results.
JD
Old 03-14-2016, 02:24 PM
National Racer

Hey JD! I'm glad I'm not the only one involved in this caper. I went back over old threads on many forums and found all kinds of "stuff". Probably going to stick with the vinegar. I went to the hardware store and picked up these 1/2" wide foam applicators, like for painting, they come in a 6 pack for a dollar. I pour some ATF in a plastic cup, dip it and hit the rails, seems to work well.

Last edited by Headhunter; 03-14-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Novice Racer
View Kommandant33's Photo Album

After a few days of serious use, I went over my new track with a microfibre cloth - I couldn't believe the tyre dust it was picking up! It was black!

I can't wait for Scalextric to make a digital street sweeper with rotating microfibre discs at the front - THAT would be cool.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:01 PM
National Racer

Kommandant33, Vacuum, then I use a Swiffer, it is always black when done!
Old 03-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Novice Racer

Headhunter, it sounds like we've been visiting many of the same forums etc. looking for solutions to this mess. Nice idea w/ the foam applicators, sounds simple and cheap.
Do you think ScotchBrite pads are too aggressive? I have 1 of those RadioShack pocket microscopes, I'm going to see if I can find any scratches from ScotchBrite on the rails. They look great to the naked eye. We'll see
Old 03-15-2016, 01:34 PM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis493 View Post
Headhunter, it sounds like we've been visiting many of the same forums etc. looking for solutions to this mess. Nice idea w/ the foam applicators, sounds simple and cheap.
Do you think ScotchBrite pads are too aggressive? I have 1 of those RadioShack pocket microscopes, I'm going to see if I can find any scratches from ScotchBrite on the rails. They look great to the naked eye. We'll see
There will definitely be scratches on the rails from the ScotchBrite pads, but not too deep. I use a round plastic scrubby thing, it seems to work fine. This is what I use, lazy! I'm not going to look at the track under a microscope, afraid what I might see!! Already have a problem with the magnifier, trying to keep an eye on my work and not study my hands, or whatever else happens by!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71So4DD+pKL__SL1280_.jpg (99.0 KB, 1 views)