MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-15-2017, 05:37 AM
International Racer
View s.o.f.'s Photo Album

Default Lotus 23

Does anyone know of a good 1:32 Lotus 23 body?
I think I saw a manufacturer with an acronym like "RS" selling one here on SCI but they seem to have disappeared.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Top Qualifier
View bibbster's Photo Album

I know Russkit made one back in the 60's and I'm sure someone has repopped it but I can't recall who.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 AM
National Racer
View tlbrace's Photo Album

Big Lotus fan here, have owned 10 1:1 scale Lotus over the years.

The 23 is my very favorite Lotus, road or race (no, haven't owned one of THEM). So I too would love a nice 1/32 Lotus 23 AND one that would be competitive in my club's pre-62 classic sports car class.

I have 3 of the Russkit bodies in my project box, waiting for some inspiration. Alas, the problem with building a competitive Lotus slot car, almost of any kind, is their size. The 23 is an incredibly small car, and the Russkit body reflects that. Ditto the Type 14 Elite (resin and Super Shells bodies available), Europas (resin and Polistil), and Elans (have only found resin).

A chassis and motor that will fit usually are not good runners, THEN there is the matter of finding wheels and tires that fit in the small wheel wells (in the case of the 23, the wheel wells are half/squared off).

For my part, the best I can do with classic Lotus cars in terms of slot cars is making running/parade lap cars, not competitors for racing.

For my club's class, I do have a 'souped up' Scalex Lotus 7, but it's never better than a mid pack finisher. The front motor configuration and it's lack of a real chassis limits it. That, and it's WAY out of scale too. Probably close to half again as big as it should be if it were truly to 1/32 scale.

Eldon made a rather crude Lotus 23 and called it 1/32, but they had to deal with the reality of what a scale Lotus 23 would be, and the 23 they produced, was not only not terribly attractive, but was not even close to 1/32. Somewhere between the close 1/32 of the Russkit, and the decent but still a tad large 1/24 of the Revell Lotus 23.

Have to get to later Esprit resin, and Avant Elise GT1, Ninco and Scalex Exiges, and Scalex Evoras before the bodies are big enough to put some competitive running gear in them.

Last edited by tlbrace; 06-16-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:13 AM
International Racer
View Ecurie Martini's Photo Album

Never built a 23 but I did do a 19. Comparing the specs, while the 23 is 2" shorter, 5" narrower and 6" lower, the chassis measurements are actually larger: 2" longer WB, 2.5" wider front track and 2.6" wider at the rear.

FWIW, here is the 23 chassis that I built to fit under a modified Strombecker 23:

EM
Old 06-16-2017, 01:19 PM
International Racer
View s.o.f.'s Photo Album

Since the 23 was such a small car maybe the Revell will run on my 1:32 track. I actually have a hill climb so there is never more than one car running at a time.
Can anyone tell me the width and length?
Is this car a very good runner?
They seem to be available.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:47 PM
National Racer
View tlbrace's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.o.f. View Post
Since the 23 was such a small car maybe the Revell will run on my 1:32 track. I actually have a hill climb so there is never more than one car running at a time.
Can anyone tell me the width and length?
Is this car a very good runner?
They seem to be available.

The 1/24 Revell Lotus 23 is 2.5" wide and 5" 5/8" long.

The problem with cars that are/were small 1:1 scale cars is that the slot car manufacturers needed to put their mass produced chassis under the bodies, so that cars like any early Lotus will almost never be scale from a mass producer of slot cars.

Came with two different chassis. The ubiquitous inline aluminum chassis in the kits, and a plastic chassis in the set cars.

Good runners? Put decent tires on them and they get around ok, but like anything else, it depends largely what it's competing against. Can't compete with current pod cars. Not even close.