AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-21-2017, 04:06 PM
National Champion
View Slotbob's Photo Album

OSR,

Got it, and very cool.

Only thing, seems like the door to door racing is only at the finish line, and even then, are not all parties afraid of breaking out?

In the same vein, could you determine "classes" solely based on time, then start heads up and race crash and burn, also with a breakout override?

"[With bracket racing,] race nights are much more fun and social"--oldslotracer

And that is the bottom line objective, in my book.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Championship Contender
View oldslotracer's Photo Album

Each driver does a few laps to set his breakout time every lane change, then he can adjust it after every race. I like to give myself a .2 second cushion just in case. A few times a night we'll get 3 guys with the same breakout time and have 5 laps of door to door racing, but the whole point of brackets is to get cars and drivers of different abilities to the finish line at the same time.

There's a one minute video of a bracket race on YouTube at
Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 PM
National Champion
View Slotbob's Photo Album

very cool track, and obviously your system works!
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
National Racer
View DB9's Photo Album

Headhunter, I feel your frustration. First, in my opinion and experience, you are being taken advantage of. You open your home, provide a venue to race and get rewarded with poor behavior. Maybe your group's mix is off. Introducing a tech should help but guys will always bend the rules. So maybe you need to decide which rules matter and which can slide. I am easy going and would have a problem conducting a tech. Maybe you are too - if so, ask a member of your group who is assertive to do the tech. I have held races in my basement for the past two years and question whether I want to continue. Initially, the only rule I had was a motor limit which was a slot-it 21.5rpm or equivalent. Other than that, my view was do what you want 'cos you are going to do anyway. When a new guy joined, the group wanted rules. So I said okay, you write them. They did and I described them as "slot-it" rules -- basically any slot-it part plus the 21.5rpm motor. Even still, the rules are pushed. I agree with some other folks that bracket racing can solve many of the problems you have if you can get the group to adopt it.

What you are experiencing is not unusual, I have spoke to a number of guys in the Toronto area that host basement racing and they have had similar challenges. The personalities of the guys attending is critical. Remember you not are a commercial raceway even though some guys act as if you are. Good luck with your racing.