AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 03-29-2007, 04:42 PM
SCI Administrator
View Scaleracing's Photo Album

Default BRM 1/24th Porsche 962C

http://slotcarillustrated.com/v-web/gallery/album106

Also more shots of the Interior and running gear here: http://slotcarillustrated.com/v-web/...-Nurnberg-2007

More images here on the Scaleracing Gallery :
http://scaleracing.com/v-web/gallery...ot-Car-Catalog

More News on these soon.

They are sure beautiful.

Last edited by Scaleracing; 05-28-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:29 AM
World Champion
View ElSecundo's Photo Album

Agh! You're killing me! I have the itch to buy one or two of these, like having bugs crawling under my flesh...
Old 03-30-2007, 08:13 AM
International Racer
View alaskaracer's Photo Album

These are great, I am thinking I will have to have a few of these!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:29 AM
World Champion
View Robert Livingston's Photo Album

Nice!

I put one of those long cans into a 1/24 car, and it works great. Not exactly a competitor for a Porshe 962: Auto Union Type C Stromlinie by Carrera.

But I do have a Porsche 906 with Death Star that should give these 962's a run for their money.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:35 AM
SCI Tech Guy
View LSIntegra94's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Livingston View Post
Nice!

I put one of those long cans into a 1/24 car, and it works great. Not exactly a competitor for a Porshe 962: Auto Union Type C Stromlinie by Carrera.

But I do have a Porsche 906 with Death Star that should give these 962's a run for their money.

I think that the BRM cars are designed to be scale racers as opposed to all out speed demons.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:22 PM
International Racer
View FamilyRacer's Photo Album

Alan,

Are the BRM 1/24th scale cars available for purchase yet? I've been anxiously waiting ever since I first heard about them.

Brian
Old 03-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Championship Contender
View sportblazer350's Photo Album

my hopes are high for these cars. question tho- if Auto Art can give us new 1/24 cars for around $55, why $100 for these???
Old 03-31-2007, 04:35 PM
International Racer
View Maltese's Photo Album

Default 962 Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportblazer350 View Post
my hopes are high for these cars. question tho- if Auto Art can give us new 1/24 cars for around $55, why $100 for these???
I believe it is a matter of volume. AA produces lots of die-cast with plastic parts as well as plastic slot cars. When you volume is that high your costs and therefore pricing comes down.

If BRM had higher overall volume then their costs would come down as well. At the same time, any time you produce something of quality to test the waters the volumes are lower and you have to get your production chain in order (who is making what, shipping to where, assembly by whom...) Compared to the $70 Fly cars coming out these days in 1/32, I don't suppose another few bucks for these babies is too horrible. We could be looking at $250+ for 1/32 Racer rides I suppose.

M
Old 03-31-2007, 04:49 PM
SCI Tech Guy
View LSIntegra94's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportblazer350 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
I believe it is a matter of volume. AA produces lots of die-cast with plastic parts as well as plastic slot cars. When you volume is that high your costs and therefore pricing comes down.

If BRM had higher overall volume then their costs would come down as well. At the same time, any time you produce something of quality to test the waters the volumes are lower and you have to get your production chain in order (who is making what, shipping to where, assembly by whom...) Compared to the $70 Fly cars coming out these days in 1/32, I don't suppose another few bucks for these babies is too horrible. We could be looking at $250+ for 1/32 Racer rides I suppose.

M

Maltese nailed it. It may be tough to swallow. But, look at the pricing of MMK, LeMans Minatures, Racer and the like. All very low volume production manufacturers. And as Maltese said, $70 for a Fly who is a high volume manufacturer.

Sportblazer350, you will be able to check these out in person very soon. I'm counting on you being there.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Championship Contender
View bluetoes591's Photo Album

I saw these cars in the flesh today, and they are very very nice. I have very little experience with RTR 1/24 cars, but these are nicer than the Carrera ones I have seen in the past.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Championship Contender

Yes, $100 compared to the $200 range 1/32 cars is a bargain. For me though, before i spend big buck$ on a Racer car, here is where i spend big bucks on a slot car: $225 for a mint 1/32 Cox lil Cuc in a near mint box with all original paerwork, etc! that will increase in value, will Racers, MMKs, etc? Not for me to decide, as we spend our slot bucks where we like, this is just my opinion for myself only.
Even at $100 i will buy into this product line if the cars perform half as good as they look!!!

Mike, i will only not make it to test these cars if i am already scheduled to be elsewhere, as the first half of this month is very busy for me......i can hardly wait to test one of these beauties!!!!! I am very excited for this slot maker and for SCALE 1/24 club racing.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:49 PM
SCI Administrator
View Scaleracing's Photo Album

Default Not sure where your pricing comes from.

But these will not be $100.00.

I can not see them Retailing for less than $150.00.

There are many reasons, first very limited production.
Second made in Italy, so Euro based, with the $US at all time lows Imports are going to be expensive.

AutoArt are a massive company with huge production in China.

The AutoArt 1/24 Scale cars are also produced as RC therefore reducing cost ( increased Volume ).

Sorry to disappoint but these BRM Cars are beautiful Models, I intend to do all I can to get them exposure in North America.

Sure they would sell more at $50.00 but as BRM's raw cost is more than that i do not see them being successful with that pricing strategy.

Please realise this is a very small company trying to step out from the High Priced Resin market, it will take time and volume to see lower prices, and very unlikely to ever reach AutoArt unless they switch production to China.

I realise these are not for everyone but I am prepared to gamble on some Americans buying into Quality over Mass Production, I could be wrong I hope for my and BRM's
sake I am not!!
Old 04-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Championship Contender
View Blair M's Photo Album

Alan was gracious enough to have us try these cars out Friday night on his 85 foot wood track.

I must say I was quite impressed with how smooth they raced. Very good handling and performance, seemed to be a very well made car. And of course they look just great.

$150 does seem steep, but I can see myself forgoing a purchase of three 1:32 cars for one of these in the near future. Their brochure showed the red and yellow Momo livery coming out, that would be my choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong Alan, but I believe you mentioned they will be available later this year, more like 3Q, right?

Thanks,
Blair
Old 04-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Championship Contender

I am sure these cars will be very popular outside of the US. They will not do much to change how 1/24 cars are raced here in the USA, either in clubs or at commercial raceways, at that price point. I am sure collectors will pick these up, and i am sure these cars are worht the retail price. I look forward to them.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:45 PM
World Champion
View ElSecundo's Photo Album

This discussion sends a lot of things racing through my head. I'll just mention a few bullet points that lead me to believe that this will be a very successful line:
  • In Louisville, the 1:24 wing car racers have taken to 1:32 cars in a big way, thanks to the great detail of the cars. They run 1:32 cars on the 155' Blue King track, and these cars would be right at home on that track.
  • 1:24 wing car racers spend MUCH more than $150 on a single car -- more like $150 on a single motor.
  • Every 1:32 racer I know is excited about these cars. I suspect I'll be giving one of these away in one of our monthly club drawings, because so many of our guys are interested.
  • These fill a price gap between Slot.It and Racer.
  • Most of the guys in the club, when polled, would be willing to give up two Fly cars for one beautiful car of high quality.
  • Several of our guys already spend similar dollars on die-cast cars.
What's it mean?

To me, it looks like this is the perfect transition car to bring 1:24 racers into the 1:32 world. It also looks like the kind of car that every serious 1:32 collector would be interested in, in spite of the 1:24 size. Most of our guys have at least one Carrera 1:24 car, so there's already interest in that scale.

I'm looking forward to getting a few of these!