Carrera Slot Cars
Fly Model Car
BRM Model Cars
NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Manufacturer's Corner > SCX > SCX Digital

Old 04-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Club Racer
View Eddie's Photo Album

Default Alternative – (x1) Power Supply = 18. VDC @ 6.0 Amp Output

Alternative – (x1) Power Supply = 18. VDC @ 6.0 Amp Output

Sorry, but I am back !
I am surprised that no one else has posted a similar thread !
I just had to release this updated information.

NO

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read many technical articles, regarding SCX Digital, power supplies. This is an independent SCX digital article, that I had found. It is recommended to have one (x1) SCX 20070 Digital Transformer, for each set of two (x2) digital slot cars.

-Two (x2) Digital SCX slot cars = One (x1) Digital Transformer. (18. VDC @ 2.0 Amps)
-Four (x4) Digital SCX slot cars = Two (x2) Digital Transformers. (18. VDC @ 4.0 Amps)
-Six (x6) Digital SCX slot cars = Three (x3) Digital Transformers. (18. VDC @ 6.0 Amps)

FACT: Each individual SCX 20070 Digital Transformer, = 18.3 VDC @ 2.0 amps output. (Actual Voltage Measured)

FACT: Since the power input jacks are connected in parallel, into a SCX Control Module, the 18.3 VDC will always remains the same. To prevent voltage drop, extra power supplies are required, adding more amperes. (Amps)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FACT:
1)“All” powers supplies can “ONLY” be plugged into one (x1) SCX Control Module. Be sure to follow correct instructions, when using two (x2) SCX Control Modules.
2)SCX Digital Track is a “digital powered track”. Any other power source “DIRECTLY’ connected to slot track, will cause permanent damage.
3)“TOTAL” input should be 18.3 VDC, “BUT” not exceed 6.0 Amps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found an alternative power supply.

1)One (x1) Power Supply (AC/DC adapter) !!.
2)18. VDC output.
3)6.0 Amps output (120 Watts) !!.
4)Overload Protection !!.
5)Output Short Circuit Protection !!.
6)AC Adapter 3 Prong Power Cord.
7)Types of Connectors = Eight (x8).
8)Adjust the Polarity on the Detachable Connector.
9)Selectable Voltage (18 or 19 VDC).

For Only U.S. $26.99
= Shipping - U.S.A. = FREE
= Shipping - Canada = $15.00 extra
= Payment = PayPal
= Payment = Visa / Mastercard (U.S. only)

2)eBay Store: cbk usa electronics
3)CBK Store Part Number: A-UNV-03-G
4)Ref eBay Item Number = 350122523926
5)NW Universal AC Adapter for 15V/16V/18V/19V/20V 6A 120W

------------------------------------------------------------------

This could be an alternate power supply.

I will “NOT” show any comparisons between this universal power supply, to the SCX 20070 Digital Transformer.
Both units are AC/DC adapters.

I am only allowed to state “actual facts”, which I did, without any personnel judgment calls, against SCX.

The choice is yours !!

Thanks For Your Time.

-ED-
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Club Racer
View KraZy Kal's Photo Album

Hey Eddie,

You have found a new source for 18vdc power and at 6 amps that sure could supply some juice.
I have some concerns about how this would work with the SCX Pitbox electroncs.
The Pitbox has three individual power transistor circuits each looking for its own 18v source sinking up to 2 amps. (By design, the standard SCX power cube.)
This laptop power supply you have discovered has just one connector, yet it can supply a full 6 amps. The internal SCX single power transistor circuit you connect this new laptop power supply to may not be able to sink much more than 2 amps before being damaged.

Possible solution: Splice in two more connector plugs off of the output wires of the new laptop power supply and connect them to the other pitbox dc inputs. Now the new 6 amp source, is split between the three 2 amp inputs. This helps balance the current demand between all three Transistor circuits.

Easier solution: Just purchase three of these new laptop power supplies and connect them with the three provided connectors. Can't go wrong at that low price. You will have plenty of oooommfff.
(That is Supply current in technical terms!!! )

But, should you have a short somewhere out on your track and these new laptop power supplies do not have their internal breaker protection trip until 6 amps, the current draw through your Pitbox could get extremely high and probably damage it. Remember, the three internal power transistor circuits do rely on external current protection.

Otherwise, this new source of power sounds to good to be true. The price is very low and you would have to purchase a couple and do some bench testing to see if they can meet these advertised specs.

Kal
Old 04-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Club Racer
View Eddie's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZy Kal View Post
Hey Eddie,

You have found a new source for 18vdc power and at 6 amps that sure could supply some juice.
I have some concerns about how this would work with the SCX Pitbox electroncs.
The Pitbox has three individual power transistor circuits each looking for its own 18v source sinking up to 2 amps. (By design, the standard SCX power cube.)
This laptop power supply you have discovered has just one connector, yet it can supply a full 6 amps. The internal SCX single power transistor circuit you connect this new laptop power supply to may not be able to sink much more than 2 amps before being damaged.

Possible solution: Splice in two more connector plugs off of the output wires of the new laptop power supply and connect them to the other pitbox dc inputs. Now the new 6 amp source, is split between the three 2 amp inputs. This helps balance the current demand between all three Transistor circuits.

Easier solution: Just purchase three of these new laptop power supplies and connect them with the three provided connectors. Can't go wrong at that low price. You will have plenty of oooommfff.
(That is Supply current in technical terms!!! )

But, should you have a short somewhere out on your track and these new laptop power supplies do not have their internal breaker protection trip until 6 amps, the current draw through your Pitbox could get extremely high and probably damage it. Remember, the three internal power transistor circuits do rely on external current protection.

Otherwise, this new source of power sounds to good to be true. The price is very low and you would have to purchase a couple and do some bench testing to see if they can meet these advertised specs.

Kal
Hi;

Good Question !!

I took the SCX Digital Control Module - Pit Stop SCX25060, "Totally" apart.

1) All input power jacks, are connected in parallel (all together ++ and --).
2) 18.3 VDC, Input = always remains the "Same".
3) It does not matter what jack, you plug into the SCX control module, into.
4) DC Voltage "WILL" always remain the "SAME" (18.3 VDC)
5) To keep a requirement, "CONSTANT" 18.VDC, will require more Amps (Voltage Draw)

The SCX 25060, Digital Control Module (Pit Stop) will except one (x1) power supply, at 18.0 VDC @ 6.0 Amps. Maximum.

There are "NO" safeguards in the SCX Module, so do "NOT" exceed 6.0 AMPS, input !!!!!!

Damage Will Result; exceeding 18.3 VDC @ 6.0 Amps.

1) When using different Input power supplies, they must be exactly identical,
or burn outs will occur !

I
"WILL" not go into all the electronics equations.

Use three (x3) SCX 20070 Digital Transformers (18.3 VDC @ 2.0 Amps each).
- OR-
Use one (x1) universal AC/DC power adapter (18. VDC @ 6.0 Amps).

We are "ONLY" talking about "POWER SUPPLIES".
This has "NO" effect, or "NOTHING" to do with SCX Digital language, inside the SCX control modules.

- ED -
Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 PM
National Racer
View chouinam's Photo Album

Eddie,

Have you actually bought and tested the item listed above?

2)eBay Store: cbk usa electronics
3)CBK Store Part Number: A-UNV-03-G
4)Ref eBay Item Number = 350122523926
5)NW Universal AC Adapter for 15V/16V/18V/19V/20V 6A 120W

Has it worked with no issues?

Marc
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Top Qualifier
View boopiejones's Photo Album

does anyone know if this really works? i am about to buy a bunch of SCX digital stuff. i don't mind spending a bit of money to get the right parts, but the thought of $120 worth of wall warts kinda makes my head spin.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Top Qualifier
View Fred Fries's Photo Album

I thought the same thing, I'm thinking about using my Pyramid PS26kx set at 15V and put an inline fuse to limit the load at 6 amps, I know my SCP01 will run on that voltage, just need to test the SCXD stuff for function.

Fred
Old 07-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Top Qualifier

i stumbled across the scxwiki site last night and they recommend using an 18v laptop power supply with a maximum of 6 amps. they also said they had success with a 5 amp variable PS set to 18v.

the people who run the scxwiki site seem like they know what they are talking about, so i'm guessing it really works.

i found some cheap 18v 4amp laptop transformers. i think that would be enough amps for me since i am running no mag.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Digital Advocate
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

I don't know how SCXD works, but it seems to me that if it has three inputs that each pull 2 amps, then those inputs would each pull 2 amps. Why would the console pull more amps than it needs just because a PSU can supply them? Why can't you just take three wires with the appropriate connectors, plugged into those three connections, all leading to the same PSU (6amps or more)? Wouldn't the console just pull however many amps it needs? Or is it a short protection issue, and if the track shorts out somewhere and you have a high amp PSU connected, you could burn out the console? If that's the case, then 2amp fuses inline on each of those connectors should be all you need. If shorts happen a lot, then self-resetting fuses would probably be the way to go.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Top Qualifier

as i understand it, the problem is that the scx powerbase has no internal protection and will fry itself if the cars on the track (or a short or whatever) pull more than 6 amps through the powerbase.

it is m understanding (correct me if i am wrong) that the three jacks are not independent of each other. so you can plug in one 6amp supply, two matched 3 amp supplies or three matched 2 amp supplies and all will provide the same results. if your supplies have more than 6 amps, then you would need extrenal overload protection.

i just ordered a laptop power supply for $14 shipped that is switchable between 15, 16, 18, 19 and 22 volts. at 18v, it provides 5 amps, which should be plenty since i am running exclusively non-magnet.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM
National Racer
View Belator's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
<snip>

it is m understanding (correct me if i am wrong) that the three jacks are not independent of each other. so you can plug in one 6amp supply, two matched 3 amp supplies or three matched 2 amp supplies and all will provide the same results. if your supplies have more than 6 amps, then you would need extrenal overload protection.

<snip>
That is correct.

Brian
Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Club Racer
View chriswells78's Photo Album

If you are buying new, I wouldn't risk voiding the 2 year warranty on any power supply other than that produced by SCX. Just my opinion. You can usually pick up SCXd wall warts for around $20 each on Ebay where people are breaking up sets and parting them out.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Top Qualifier

to update everyone, i got the $14 laptop power supply in the mail yesterday and it works great. i didn't even need to use one of the adapter tips, as the standard tip turned out to be a perfect fit for the SCX powerbase.

i tested it at 18, 16 and 15 volts, and all three settings worked great. each click down provided a slightly slower car, which is a nice feature for digital especially if racing with kids or rookies. i realize that SCX already offers a "precision" mode, but it is a lot quicker to flip one switch on the power supply instead of reprogramming each car. plus, i imagine that you could combine the 15 volt setting with the precision mode and create a relatively crash free driving experience for any really little kids that are racing.

i have yet to test it with multiple cars on the track, but will provide an update when i can. if it really puts out the amps it claims to, there shouldn't be any problems.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Club Racer
View 3000GT's Photo Album

Very interesting. Thanks for the update and please let us know how the multiple car testing goes.