MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum  
Old 07-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Championship Contender
View acmost's Photo Album

Default 2010 Cheetah Invitational Rules

Coming Soon To A Track Near You (This February)

I'd like to thank dr vanski for letting me borrow his CanAm Prototype rules & tweaking them. For those that don't like alot of rules(me) it looks like alot but it's all basic stuff that your car probably already has covered.

Cheetah Invitational (Open Class)

I. Body Rules

1) Must be a Cheetah. Topless version is okay(Cro-Sal, Spyder, Roadster)

2) Bodies must be injection moulded or resin cast, in 1/32 scale. No vacuum formed or blow moulded bodies. (Approximately 1/30 scale is the maximum oversize permitted)

3) Tires must be fully under the fenders. No tire may project beyond body work, as viewed from above, at maximum side travel of wheels.

4) Bodies must be removable to allow maintenance and repair during the race series.

5) Driver figure is required, with representation of at least head, shoulders, and arms.

6) Interior must include representation of dashboard top, as seen through windshield, and shelf under rear window. Spare tire under rear window optional. Vacuum formed interior pieces may be used. Interior should fully cover so the chassis can not be seen.

7) Front & rear window material must be present. Windows may be vacuum formed.

8) Required body details as appropriate. Painted lights are okay. Working lights are not required. Got to have carbs or fuel injection stacks, etc. & headers also. It's a Cheetah! (I think some of you already have cars without the side pipes so this might be up for discussion also.)

9) Any paint, decals and markings may be used. Racing numbers are required. Fantasy liveries are encouraged. Car owner information on car underside is a must. Body screw adjustment information would be helpful.

10) The car must be pre-registered and race number obtained prior to tech inspection.

*Body Modifications

11) A body may have flares added, up to the max width of 2.53". (ie:Hurst)

II. Chassis:

1) Chassis may be made of any material, and may be any design. Aftermarket axle blocks are permitted.

2) Underside of car chassis and body must clear track road surface (not rails), on level track, by 1.2 mm (0.047") minimum. Gears may be lower, but cars may be excluded from racing if gears contact the track or rails, and track owner judges them a hazard to track or rails.

3) Guide must be entirely under body, and not visible when viewed from above.

4) Any guide(other than a pin guide), bushing, gear etc. may be used.

5) Traction magnets are not permitted.

6.) JB Weld is permitted...just in case any stragglers show up.

III. Tires and Wheels

1.) Tires: No tire compound restrictions(silicones are allowed),except that tires must be black. In the spirit of the 1:1. No low profile tires.

2.) Wheels: The rear wheels cannot have a smaller diameter than the front wheels.

3.) Inserts are required.

*Again it's open, just keep it in the spirit of the original 1:1 & make sure tires are fully under the fenders. No O-Rings or low profile Zero Grips (Slot.It SIPT-15), or equivalent size tires may be used.

IV. Motors:

1) Any manufacturer’s motors may be used. RPM limits are open. Modifications allowed.

2) Motors drawing excessive current, which results in slowing other cars on the track, or tripping of overload protectors in track circuit, may be disqualified from racing on that track.(I'm assuming most of the host tracks have the ampage to spare for most motors but I don't know)

Examples Of Eligible Bodies for the Cheetah Invitational

Bauer
Cox
Pastimes Hobby
RMS Resins ( http://rmsresins.com/html/sportscars.htm)
Strombecker

(If you find something else, please let us know.)

Official Scoring

Scoring explanation in the first post of this thread:

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ad.php?t=37818
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

The Deadline For Arrival In Hermitage, TN Is Friday, Feb. 5, 2010
(That should hopefully give everybody enough time to recover from the Holidays.)

The Entry Fee is $25.00 which hopefully will cover all the shipping expenses & some nice parting gifts.

I'll be doing the tech inspection & running the first race here at Stoner Ridge.
We have 30 entrants & 11 tracks which seems like a fairly large amount. Hoping the $25 entry fee will cover all the expenses. If we're short you're friendly neighborhood race manager will cover the difference.(Did I really say that?)

PayPal preferred but any other method will be fine.
I've sent my PayPal & shipping address to each of the entrants in a Private message.
If you haven't recieved it, holler at me!

Lou E will be in charge of coordinating the race schedule.
Only 1 month left...wahoo!

Last edited by acmost; 02-20-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Championship Contender

Scoring updated.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Championship Contender
View mmmoose1's Photo Album

Tiny Motors sells replacement headers for the Strombecker Cheetahs on their website.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Championship Contender

Default Low Profile

Greetings,

Just when you thought it was safe.

The rules are it's an "open tire compound"...silicones, rubber, urethane...whatever.

The rules do state that there are to be no "O-Rings" & no "low profile" tires because people were mentioning that it didn't look correct on the Cheetah which brings me to this:

What are some examples of tires that are considered "low profile"? Name a brand & model number if you can. Some people are asking about using S2s. Are Slot.it S2s considered "low Profile"?

Thanks!

Last edited by acmost; 07-14-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:11 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

I would have said that Slot Car Corner tires for their DF wheels, along with Slot.it PT15s, PT19s, and both sizes of Zero Grips are low profile.

But not S2s by any means; they're a very realistic looking tyre.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Top Qualifier
View Da Vols's Photo Album

Is there a S2 that will fit a wheel and be "in the spirit of the 1:1"...??? Reason for asking is that most of the tracks so far listed seem to favor silicones and the S2's are the only ones that like my surface which would make tuning easier for me.

Da Vol - Bruce
Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Vols View Post
Is there a S2 that will fit a wheel and be "in the spirit of the 1:1"...???

Heh, yeah that's the question.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Championship Contender

Going once...
Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 AM
International Racer
View mether05's Photo Album

Default Tire Info

Not sure that this is ENTIRELY correct, but maybe it's a start and the data can be updated.

Slot.it Stock Hub REAR (most models, except Nissan, McLaren, Ferrari F40)

PA17-AL (15x8) SIPT06 S1 19x10 Super Tire 1400/01/02/03/04/05
(SIPT17 S2 20x10 in bag)

SCC Super Wheels SS 15x8 Super Tire 1400/01/02/03/04/05

Slot.it option
PA19-AL (17x10) SIPT03 S1 20x12 Super Tire 1408/10

SCC Super Wheels SS 17x10 Super Tire 1408/10

I believe the stock fronts are SIPT07 19x10 Zero Grips, (except McLaren, Alfa 33/3, Ferrari 312, Ferrari F40)

Here are some cars w/ SIPT07 19x10 Zero Grips (SCX Ferrari, and some club Cheetah's), as you can see, they are not all that “low profile”!

Last edited by mether05; 07-17-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 07-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Championship Contender

Hey Bob...thanks for posting.

Whachu people think about the tire/wheels up top?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Championship Contender
View Phil Kalbfell's Photo Album

IMO the tyre width should be limited to 10mm and the Minium diameter to 20mm and the inserts should be similar to what the cars would have used when they raced.
Inserts should all be
Old 07-17-2009, 04:27 PM
International Racer
View JT Previa's Photo Album

We used that BWA insert (American Mag, available in a couple of sizes) on the NERF Cheetahs. If I remember correctly, I used a Racer outer insert to sleeve them to size on the rear wheels. (The Scaley L88 Corvette wheels have a similar pattern.)

Here's a few closeups of our prototype:

As you can see, those Strombecker wheelwells are huge:

Better than J Lo from the rear:

Another way to increase the apparent height of the sidewall is to paint the edge of the rim black.

Finding taller sidewall tires is more of a challenge than using the standard Slot It and SCC tires.

JT
Old 07-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Top Qualifier
View Lou E's Photo Album

Hey JT, is that some sort of a Slot.it hybrid hiding underneath the Cheetah?? I'm curious...

I'm having an issue with the wheels, I had planned on using the same size tires that come on the MRRC Cobra but just realized the front wheels are maybe 1/16" smaller. I'm waiting for a response from BWA but in the meantime was wondering what you guys are using...
Old 07-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Championship Contender

I know I certainly appreciate that everybody has kept an open mind about keeping the specs open. I'm for not limiting the width of the tires & wheels... it's already in the rules and a few have signed up because of that. There's several Proxy newcomers and keeping it relatively micro-tech free has helped enrollment I think. It's a good turnout. If the CIP is a success...& it will be(!) next year whoever takes it on can dial in the specs to be a little more precise as far as motors, tires, wheel size, etc. At least that what I'm thinking.

Last edited by acmost; 07-17-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 PM
International Racer
View JT Previa's Photo Album

AC,

The "Keep it simple" approach you are suggesting for the first incarnation of the race is a good idea, especially if you want to get newcomers involved. I know I've spent countless hours researching tires and wheel sizes for some other series (and even had wheels custom made). It can make the cars more prototypical looking, which I'm a big fan of, however it can be frustrating. Encouraging realism makes sense (since most of us will experience the race through car photos and reports). But since much of the idea of an all Cheetah proxy is the fun quotient, keeping the rules open should make the building process easier and more fun. A little retro-futurism, if done well, can make the cars more interesting, instead of pure blueprinting of an earlier era.

Lou - I've been directed by NERF club management not to release any more information, photos or video of the alleged Slot-It hybrid that may or may not be lurking beneath the NERF Cheetah.

JT