MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 08-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Club Racer
View iggyst00ge's Photo Album

Default Why Ninco?

I run Ninco at home, but out of curiosity, why did you settle on Ninco for your home track?

If you could do it over, would you switch to another brand?

Chris
Old 08-01-2009, 05:02 PM
National Racer
View vansubsea's Photo Album

Quote:
If you could do it over, would you switch to another brand?
NEVER
Ninco offer the best, The track are wide enough for the new Xslot and I like the rough surface.
Also Ninco digital offers me what i need without all the frills!
As Tina Turner sing

---- SIMPLY THE BEST ----
Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 PM
National Racer
View Tremelle's Photo Album

The funny thing is I did do it over, and choose Ninco. When I first got into slot cars I choose Scalextric because of local availibility and price. When I decided to get back into the hobby I decided the online availibility of Ninco was enough for me to go with Ninco since it was really my first choice. I am glad I did and have never looked back.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Club Racer
View Seanathon's Photo Album

dont let the price scare you off...worth the money...if you take care of it..
Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Championship Contender
View sacesta's Photo Album

My first track was Scalextric Classic (not called classic at the time of course) and I switched to Ninco. IMO Ninco is the best made commercially available plastic sectional track out there. Good lane spacing, deep insulated slot. flexible and sturdy, outstanding electrical connectivity, assembles quickly and securely, better-quality set controllers, and a wide range of differing track sections especially now with the new R5 turns. My Ninco track has been in use for over 6 years in a climate-controlled basement and has not warped at all and has seen only minor tarnishing of the rails in all that time.

My only recommendation to Ninco would be to produce track with a smoother surface, as some folks, myself included, prefer a smoother surface to race on. They've actually done this with their snow sections but these are not available in every radius and are molded in white. I would like to see these in all available radii and molded in black.

Still, I would highly recommend Ninco to any newbie.

Steve

Last edited by sacesta; 08-02-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 AM
International Racer
View mfogg's Photo Album

For me the number one factor was the track. IMO , it has the best width for 1/32 (narrower than Carrera but wider than the others). Good flexibility for elevation changes and twisty layouts. And the best connectivity/conductivity without modifications such as power taps. I would make the same choice again.

Michael
Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Club Racer

To answer my own post, we were looking for a good starter set, and Ninco was the best value. I was apprehensive about the cost for track sections and the texture of the track itself, but I came across a heavily discounted Mosler figure-eight set, and the fact that I wouldn't have to immediately upgrade the power supply and controllers made it too good to pass up. I've also found that the larger sets are pretty economical ways to expand your layout if you avoid the ones that are heavy with R1 corners.

I wish the track were a little smoother, that Ninco sold a proper banked corner, that it cost a little less, and that there were better expansion options for aquiring R3, R4, and R5 corners (seems like most of their sets are exclusively R2 and R1), but I'm happy with the track. I never have dead spots, the cars have room to slide a little, and the track can sure take a beating.

Last edited by iggyst00ge; 08-02-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Championship Contender
View NINCO1's Photo Album

iggy,
thank you for making NINCO your track choice... your reasons are echoed by thousands of others people who know the value and efficiency of the system.
As for banking sections... NINCO's 10217 Banking Supports give you the ability to more realistically tailor your track to 5 different bank angles on your curve, rather than a very sharp, fixed height track section.

NINCO has never been a company to follow... NINCO's track surface Vs a smooth surface has been a long standing controversial subject, and will go on forever. Real racetracks have rough surfaces... go to Indy or Road America or Silverstone or wherever, roll up your pants legs and shuffle on your knees and see if you rip your skin....the surface isn't smooth like smooth plastic.

Sets are designed primarily for home use, where space may be at a premium, therefore the use of R1 and R2's primarily. The big 42' Mastertrack set uses R3 & 4 as well. Having said that, You can can build a track (if you have the room) that's 10 lanes wide, because NINCO now has 10115 R5 track pieces and also the 10117 Single Lane track sections if you want to build a Rally type course. So there are more expansion options than any other track system.

All in all, iggy, you made a good choice.... so sometime in the future, let's see some pics of your ten lane, multibanked track!

Bob/NINCO1
Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Club Racer

Mr. Bob,

I agree with most of your points, but I still wish there were a nicer way to upgrade to a four-lane layout, for example.

I know Scalextric used to offer sets that would, together, form a four-lane raceway. Maybe Ninco saw that there just wasn't a market for this type of set. Maybe they're dependent on the margins they get through the specialty pieces people use to upgrade their sets with.

Regardless, I'd be especially interested in something like the Super Series oval, but with all R3 (or even R4) corners in it. The Super Series oval sells for ~$150, but buying enough R3's alone to make a circle will run $90-100. A full set of R3's plus two Ninco cars for $150-180 would be a no-brainer for me, even if I didn't need the controllers or extra power adapter.

Chris
Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Championship Contender

Iggy,

Later this year, NINCO will intro Four Lanes, a big 44' 2" professional four lane race track, that will take up 7.5 x 13 feet of floor/table space or you can set it up as an incredible 88' 2-lane track that will only take up 8.75 x 15.8 feet of floor/table space. It will come with specially modified N-Lifter track elevators to support a 4-lane roadway.
With four of these sets situated symmetrically (like the mirrored tracks used in the NINCO World Cup), a store or a club could have competitions where 16 drivers could race simultaneously.

Bob/NINCO1
Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 AM
National Racer
View ddyke's Photo Album

I have Ninco, SCX, Sport,and Carrera and like them in that order. I know Carrera is smooth and stiff-- the latter is the main drawback in making a rally course.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINCO1 View Post
Iggy,

Later this year, NINCO will intro Four Lanes, a big 44' 2" professional four lane race track . . .
I took a peek at the new tracks Ninco is scheduled to release, and it seems like they're much more drivable than the recent Pro Am and Master Track offerings. That makes me a little happier.

Chris
Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Championship Contender

Why not make me/MRC/NINCO happier and preorder one, Like the (20149) 51' 6" Master Track V.09 or the (20150) 47' 2" Master Sport (Lotus Edition).
Nobody has sets anywhere near these in size or exciting layouts.

Bob/NINCO1
Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Retired as Champion, rest in peace.
View Slider2's Photo Album

Hi Bob,
I hate to do this, but you left yourself wide open between a rock and a hard placeafter your last suggestion , I have to make one of my own.
Why doesn't Ninco Lower their the prices on their cars a competitive $ twenty bucks and make everyone else on the board happy.

Greg
Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Novice Racer
View Stephan69's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyst00ge View Post
I took a peek at the new tracks Ninco is scheduled to release, and it seems like they're much more drivable than the recent Pro Am and Master Track offerings. That makes me a little happier.

Chris
Are you suggesting that a Mastertrack with 31 R1 curves is not drivable ?

S.