AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Scale Racing > 1/24 Scale Slot Cars

Old 04-09-2010, 08:43 AM
National Racer
View RobotWorkshop's Photo Album

Default Best methods to paint and trim vacuum formed bodies

I'm trying to get together a couple more slot cars and have a few new vacuum formed slot car bodies for them. One is painted and the rest are clear. What is the best way to get started painting the clear bodies? My guess is that I would start by masking off the windows and parts that remain clear. Then perhaps use a small brush to paint on the small details on the inside like door handles, etc with silver paint, and other colors for small details. Once that is done just spray the inside with color. Is that the way everyone else does it? What paints work out well and what ones should be avoided?

The next challenge seems to be trimming the bodies. I've seen some that look pretty scary the way they were cut (hacked wheel wells, uneven body sides) and want to try to do it the correct way so the cars come out nice. I expect I'll probably mess up the first couple but that is ok as long as I get the hang of it and can eventually learn to do it right. Just looking for some pointers to learn from others on the group to get a head start.

Thank You,

Robert
Old 04-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Championship Contender
View challenger's Photo Album

Default lots of help on this site

if you go to " search this forum " there's a thread posted " Cutting Wheel Openings on Clear Bodies ", it has several helpful hints listed. There's also several painting threads. Special paint for lexan must be used ( I find that Tamiya works best ) , apply the paint using several light coats, allow drying time between coats. For light colours always back them up with white or silver to create a more brilliant appearance. The most important step is cleaning the body before you start, I place them in the sink in warm water, not hot, and use dish soap and give the lexan a gentle wash inside and out. This removes any residue left from the mould and helps paint stick on the inside and decals on the outside.

I also use a pizza box as my " spray booth " :

after washing the body and masking off windows I use masking tape to attach the body to the opening in the pizza box, I place the plastic bag from the lexan body over my one hand so I don't paint my arm ! - the box keeps overspray off the exterior of the body, I open the box and hold the body up to the light between coats until I get the proper amount of paint applied. I have been quite happy with the results using this method :

Last edited by challenger; 04-11-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
National Racer
View RobotWorkshop's Photo Album

Nice paint job! It looks like I'll need a lot of practice before attempting anything like that. I found the threads on trimming the bodies and it helps. Thank You.

Robert
Old 04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Championship Contender
View munter's Photo Album

Hi, I use long blade scissors to cut straight side edges and sometimes other knives and small scissors for other openings etc.
I use a dremel sanding drum for wheel arches after cutting most out with small scissors.
Sometimes I will also use emery boards for a small amount of sanding on an edge that needs it.

What I have found useful is a slick7 setup block with one side plain and the other side having recesses for wheels and magnets to hold the chassis while you mount the body.
This helps reduce the number of holes you stab into the body when you are fitting pins or clips...
...its something I try to avoid... multiple stab wounds.

regards
Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 AM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Most people prefer to paint clear bodies on the inside. Pactra or Tamiya RC paint is the stuff to use if you have to use spray cans. I do not recommend brushing the paint on, you can get a lot of streaks no matter how careful you are. You will have to mask off the glass areas first. I use laminating film for this, I cut out a piece of film that is bigger than the area to be masked, apply it to the inside of the body and trim with a new X-Acto #1 knife or disposable scalpel. A person that fears that he might slice right through the body could also cut out bits of PVC electrical tape for the mask. NEVER use Scotch tape, it will leave the adhesive behind when you try to remove it, or regular paper masking tape, it always bleeds around the edges. After removing the excess film I wash the body with warm water with a little dishwashing liquid, rinse and dry before painting. Any fingerprints will keep the paint from sticking properly. Do not trim the body or make any holes in it before painting. The solvent in the paint will attack the body and cause cracking. You don’t want overspray, so cut a rectangular hole that is just slightly bigger than he body itself, but smaller than the flashing in the lid of a cardboard box. Sit the body in the hole and hold it in place with masking tape. Apply the paint in thin layers with at least 15 minutes of drying time between them. Trying to cover the body all in one shot will cause the body to curl up. Check to be sure you have gotten paint in all of the tight places. It is best to remove the masking before the paint is 100% dry. I gently poke at it with my scalpel held at a 45 degree angle near one edge of the mask to peel it up enough to grab with a tweezers or forceps. I usually use metallic colors myself and they will always be translucent no matter how many coats you use. Metallic colors must be backed up with a solid color, the color that you choose will influence the final color. Backing up metallic red with black will give you a maroon, using gold gives a “candy apple” effect. People that do a lot of painting use an air brush, you get much better control over the spray, you can mix custom colors and it is cheaper as well. You have to use an air brush with the water based paint that Parma sells, it isn’t available in rattle cans.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Championship Contender

This is becoming somewhat of a " lost art " in my area, we haven't had a commercial track for several years that runs 1/24 Lexan style races. Is it still popular across the USA ?

Old 04-27-2010, 05:28 AM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Slot racing at commercial raceways has not really been popular since the '60s. There was something of a resurgence in the 90's, but many of those tracks are closed now. Slot racing now is more of a home based hobby.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Champion Racer retired RIP
View ProfFate's Photo Album

Hi

It depends on where you live.

Fate
Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM
National Racer
View turbokev's Photo Album

I have a small pair of curved scissors I use to do the wheel wells with.. and a combination of an Exacto straight blade and regular scissors do the rest of the body..

I'm not too fussy since I only use this type of body for oval track series, so they don't have to look too pretty~

Sometimes I paint the inside, other times I spray the outside like I'm painting a plastic kit..

Here are a couple of my 1/32 'Boss Bodies' cars:

Old 05-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Championship Contender
View munter's Photo Album

Wow! It looks like you've been having fun...nice work!
My favourite is the Torino...a real nice Ford.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 AM
National Champion
View DrDiff's Photo Album

I painted Polycarbonate bodies for Radio Control cars for nearly 20 years now. Basic rules follow. USE A DUAL ACTION AIRBRUSH AND COMORESSOR!

When you back any color with white it lightens the original color. For flourescents whte makes them pop. Silver maintains the color Black darkens the color. Always start with the most opaique color you have. Then move on to the more translucent colors.

A company named SPASTIX makes chrome paint. It looks like ultra fine metal flake but when it hits the polycarb, the flakes align and you get a mirror chrome like effect that you have to back with black. The catch is that even when backed with Pactra black or Tamiya black they still are fragile as the chrome keeps the paint from etching into the polycarb as it should. There are chromalusion like color change paints out there that work incredibly well.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Championship Contender
View Jisp's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger View Post
I also use a pizza box as my " spray booth " :
Wife : What would you like for dinner?
Man : Pizza please
Wife : Again? Why don't we have something different........?
Man : I need to paint another body
Wife : Oh.....ummmm, ok.

Mate, you have it sussed out! Pizza and painting cars, does it get any better than that?

Now if only I could find a use for these empty beer bottles
Old 05-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Championship Contender

Default muti-tasking bottles

we have found a purpose for the bottles, we use them as a reference to " scale " for our podium pics :

Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Top Qualifier
View MG Brown's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
Slot racing at commercial raceways has not really been popular since the '60s. There was something of a resurgence in the 90's, but many of those tracks are closed now. Slot racing now is more of a home based hobby.
So those 3 children's birthday parties with 16 children each (and the adults) that we hosted at Mid-America Raceway and Hobbies last weekend were actually a flashback to the 1990's?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:49 AM
Championship Contender

Default any bodies painted ?

Hello Mr. RobotWorkshop,

Any bodies painted yet ? I would be interested in seeing some photos of your progress