NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

Leaders make the tough decisions. Good job keeping things together, Kris!
No mag will be a tough sell for kids, so I encourage you to enforce 100% stock (original magnets only), or front magnet only. A magnet marshal wouldn't go amiss anytime magnetic traction is part of the racing, either.
Get some tips from the pros on how to avoid those startup overloads. Try running starts if mods are out of the question.

Also, I'd LOVE to see some of these tracks you guys race on. I've seen every one of the few that have been posted, which I appreciate. Even a fuzzy cell-phone pic is better'n nothing!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
National Racer
View DIRT RIDER's Photo Album

I think we all just need to relax and appreciate that we have made great friends and we have a place to play. I personally have competed in enough championships in full size motorsports to get my feel, but I realize it is fun for the kids and others that have not gotten the chance. My point was the give and take and friendly nature went away a little.
Not possible to create a perfect world, we are racing Carrera digital, but all brands are legal and if a scalextric is not as good then don't race one. Even if a powerful magnet was put in front, they are not as effective as a rear mag and some of my testing showed the car went slower with a shimmed front mag. Been saying from the beginning that the key is the stock motor, adding more mag only slows it down. I personally don't think running pure stock Carrera is the way to go, puts too much on Kris to inspect and make sure no one is cheating, not to hard to look at the motor and pass a piece of metal across the bottom of the car.
Kris, we still love you!!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM
National Racer

All I want to do is ride my dirt bikes and race my slot cars but work keeps getting in the way. Hope to be there tomorrow, but I have a big day and it is questionable.
Gary
Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With competition comes "innovation". Innovation (known as "cheating" by those who do not innovate in the same ways ;-) begets bad feelings. The only way to prevent "innovation" is to set up rules and enforce them. The only way to enforce them is to police them. Simply put, a decision might need to be made to either compete with rules, or without them. Some may say, it's a decision to either have fun, or not (depending on what side of the rules you land on at any given time ;-). While magless removes artificial downforce as one factor, there are many, MANY others that can easily give an adept tuner a cutting edge in the battle for the podium.

I'm not trying to tell you guys WHAT to do. I'm not a participant, no matter how much I'd like to be. I only want you guys to have fun and not worry about stuff that shouldn't matter to people having fun. If that's not possible, then at the very least I'd want you guys to ensure that the racing is fair, so that no one feels like they lost because of someone else breaking a rule, or having some secret to car tuning that they've never learned.

More than one club has lost members or dissolved completely due to fierce competition, secret keeping, and outright rule breaking in the name of winning.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
National Racer
View dalejrfanfreak's Photo Album

Ugh....forget the thing about the interiors. Just found out half the cars running don't have any interior and some Scalextric cars don't come with one anyway.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyle494 View Post
Addendum to the rules? Stock motors and stock magnets in the kids cars. I know MOST of the cars are running stock motors and magnets but maybe it's time to run Carrera cars Stock for the kids? Nascar implements rules changes midway through the season for the Fuel injection last year. Maybe it's time to go front magnet on ovals, then later on everything???? Just a thought?????

See you in a few, I am leaving the house in about 10 minutes.....

CK
That would be ideal BUT whatever makes one person happy upsets someone else so we'll just keep things how they are except the interiors. Since some cars don't come with them and the slot.its can't use them with a chip I don't think we need to have them. My original intention was to have people run them because of weight issues more than cosmetic ones.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 PM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WES View Post
Well,maybe im being taken out of context bacause i was not upset with you KW in any way.I was frustrated at the circumstance.I know that you had to make that decision.I know you did everything you could to make it right.If i said something to offend you,for that i apologize,you are the one that has to make the tough decisions and we are just lucky to have a place to go and race.
I'm not offended I just need to explain publicly why I had to run 2 final races. Gary and Eric weren't there so I'm trying to give them context on why the final races were run in place of the original race. Gotta admit I'm a little wound up with how things are going at work and at the races so my bad if I went over the top.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlippant View Post
Leaders make the tough decisions. Good job keeping things together, Kris!
No mag will be a tough sell for kids, so I encourage you to enforce 100% stock (original magnets only), or front magnet only. A magnet marshal wouldn't go amiss anytime magnetic traction is part of the racing, either.
Get some tips from the pros on how to avoid those startup overloads. Try running starts if mods are out of the question.

Also, I'd LOVE to see some of these tracks you guys race on. I've seen every one of the few that have been posted, which I appreciate. Even a fuzzy cell-phone pic is better'n nothing!
I can't order magnet Marshalls...I tried :\ And I'm not keeping it together...right now slot car racing at the store is a soup sandwich.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 PM
National Racer
View ckyle494's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalejrfanfreak View Post
That would be ideal BUT whatever makes one person happy upsets someone else so we'll just keep things how they are except the interiors. Since some cars don't come with them and the slot.its can't use them with a chip I don't think we need to have them. My original intention was to have people run them because of weight issues more than cosmetic ones.

The difference in weight between the OEM interior and a lexan interior (in the corvette) is right around 9.18grams and the difference between the slot it interior and the lexan interior is 6.92grams. So do we need to have the interiors in them now?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 AM
National Racer

back to the other subject, it won't do any good to try and solve the shutting off problem with the kids going no-mag. The last time I was able to race (no-mag) the track was shutting off on the start also, that was with two slot-it's, so it may be as much a motor issue as magnets, the two usually go hand in hand, more motor, more magnet. I would check with Dave Kennedy, we may have to pitch in and get a bigger power source.
We need to stop making rules based on what people already have. It takes no time to make a tray interior and glue a driver to it keeping up the appearance. We just need to figure where we should draw the line at. I would like to keep stock interiors, but some of them are so heavy that the car can't be competitive. I at least have a tray and a driver which meets the rules of most series.
I get the most enjoyment out of experimenting with my cars and seeing all you guys at the races, so lets just all relax and have whatever fun comes our way and cut Kris some slack before he calls the whole thing off. We need to act like grown ups if we can!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:02 AM
Club Racer
View WES's Photo Album

I will follow your lead KW.You make those tough decisions and i will follow.I think i opened up a can of worms here and i hope you dont feel as though i tried to undermind you here.You have went to bat for all of us slot car racers and have done a great job in doing something that not many could accomplish.As i have said before,i very much appreciate that.Let's put last week behind us and move forward.Iam looking forward to this weeks racing action.Winning or losing shouldnt matter anyway as long as we are havin fun.Sometimes we lose touch with that.See you all tonight. Thanks,Wes Moneymaker
Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 AM
Club Racer
View WES's Photo Album

Default Acting like children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt rider View Post
back to the other subject, it won't do any good to try and solve the shutting off problem with the kids going no-mag. The last time i was able to race (no-mag) the track was shutting off on the start also, that was with two slot-it's, so it may be as much a motor issue as magnets, the two usually go hand in hand, more motor, more magnet. I would check with dave kennedy, we may have to pitch in and get a bigger power source.
We need to stop making rules based on what people already have. It takes no time to make a tray interior and glue a driver to it keeping up the appearance. We just need to figure where we should draw the line at. I would like to keep stock interiors, but some of them are so heavy that the car can't be competitive. I at least have a tray and a driver which meets the rules of most series.
I get the most enjoyment out of experimenting with my cars and seeing all you guys at the races, so lets just all relax and have whatever fun comes our way and cut kris some slack before he calls the whole thing off. We need to act like grown ups if we can!
ill try my best!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 AM
National Racer

I wasn't pointing fingers, I was thinking more about my own behavior!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 AM
National Racer
View ckyle494's Photo Album

If this works then here is the track for tonight.......fast and fun....

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ictureid=32420

Last edited by ckyle494; 04-26-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Excellent looking tri-oval! That's one type I have yet to race on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalejrfanfreak View Post
I can't order magnet Marshalls...I tried :\ And I'm not keeping it together...right now slot car racing at the store is a soup sandwich.
You can't buy new ones from a retailer, but used ones pop up from time to time, and they're worth having, even for "magless" racing, as some savvy racers know how to increase the magnet traction provided by the motor itself, or just buy a "cheater" motor that already sticks to fridges. Imagine a "magless" race where one guy has the most amazing driving skills and traction you've ever seen... only to find out that his motor is holding his car down.

You can also MAKE your own magnet marshal. It doesn't really matter if the measurements differ from another marshal somewhere, only that the cars are all tested on the SAME device, and that limits are determined by THAT device. An inexpensive kitchen scale plus some clever mods and a bar of steel, and you've got yourself a DIY magnet marshal. Let me know if you need help finding an example of that online, but Google will probably get it for you. ;-)

And yes, you ARE keeping it together. It just might not seem like it from your end. ;-) Keep doing what you're doing, Kris. It really is worth it.