NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 07-30-2012, 05:05 AM
National Racer
View DIRT RIDER's Photo Album

Thursday night of course! Green Monster!!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Digital Advocate
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

As usual, I'm not a member, but an avid observer.
Please consider that if you set up a class of modified cars, it seems a little disingenuous, if not pointless, to allow extensive mods (wheels, tires, gears, float, weight) to the "stock" class. Stock should be exactly that, and a way to encourage new people to try racing, knowing they can literally buy a car, put it on the track, and have a chance at the podium.
I do like that you guys are mostly agreeing that the mod class should have some kind of limitation, such as motor RPM, and no mag. The racing is always more fun for everyone when it's even, than when someone is plowing through the field. It's more fun to lose by an inch than win by a mile.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:39 PM
National Racer
View ckyle494's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlippant View Post
As usual, I'm not a member, but an avid observer.
Please consider that if you set up a class of modified cars, it seems a little disingenuous, if not pointless, to allow extensive mods (wheels, tires, gears, float, weight) to the "stock" class. Stock should be exactly that, and a way to encourage new people to try racing, knowing they can literally buy a car, put it on the track, and have a chance at the podium.
I do like that you guys are mostly agreeing that the mod class should have some kind of limitation, such as motor RPM, and no mag. The racing is always more fun for everyone when it's even, than when someone is plowing through the field. It's more fun to lose by an inch than win by a mile.
And we have had a few finishes in both the adult and kids races that have had wins by only about 3 inches to 2 feet after 8 minutes of intense DIGITAL racing, with the winner not really knowing if he/she won or not, but boy was it fun! Last time we ran stock the only thing that was allowed was to change the tires to Silicone or Urethane because the stock rubber would not last 30 seconds out there. Most of us have extras to let the new people use a set if they just bought a car, that is until we get beat by them....

For the most part the adults run very respectable of each other. We learn each others braking points and try not to touch them, we may only bump a little but not intentional, we just "want to rattle their cage" (as the late Dale Earnhardt would say) . Close racing and intimidation is the way to make someone over drive their car, especially if they are worried about the person behind them, just like real racing. Once you get a feel for the competition then you can start to pick your way around them. We have one racer that is a World Champion in Boat racing, there is the nerves of steel and concentration that it takes to win and he DOES! We try each week, and can only keep up at times, but really enjoy racing with him (Gary), great guy!

Last edited by ckyle494; 07-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:46 AM
National Racer

Thanks for the compliments, but I think the Hobby Town racing has taken its toll on my nerves! I think most all of us got pretty good so that we were able to have close racing with very few crashes, that is the fun part.
The problem with totally stock is some of the cars are better than others and everyone winds up using the same car. Allowing a few simple changes allows a few more cars to be competitive. Who would have ever thought a carrera 512 would work as well as mine? Many of the new carreras have large diameter wheels with thin tires and I just don't think they work as well as the corvette size wheels with 1408's. I still think the kids should use carreras with stock motors and magnets, maybe allow alluminum wheels.
GP
Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 PM
National Racer

All set for tomorrow night! Looking forward to some stress relieving fun!
Should be a good turnout, may even have a visit from a fellow SCI member from Texas who is on vacation in the smokies. I have not been on the track for awhile so it will take some laps to get it run in.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM
National Racer

Can't wait either, we are leaving Nashville early to make it back in time. See everyone tomorrow night. And Wes, I have a new chip (still in the package) for you, I just left the other one in. If you want me to change it just let me know.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 PM
International Racer
View buspor63's Photo Album

There was a really great group of racers on "The Green Monster" thursday night. Lance came to Tennessee from Texas to run,...... OK, he was in Gatlinburg on vacation. He was already used to digital, Scaley SSD , so we threw in a curve, no mag! He adapted well and was running competive laps by the nights end.

Gary, "Dirt Rider" is looking at running fun laps once a month so keep a watch on the updates.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 AM
National Racer

Yes I enjoyed having everyone over once again although it just did not seem right without Wes, Crystal, and Hank. It was good to have Lance in from TX, maybe we can snare a few more in the future while they are on vacation in the Smokies.
I also had a over the hill dirt biker give it a go, he seemed to enjoy it.
Shooting for the fourth thursday again, think it is the Aug 23.
GP
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
National Racer
View Lancelotalove's Photo Album

Default great time

I had a great time running with the people there. Really cool experience running no-mag digital and with a different digital system. Thank you to Gary for the invite. Lance
Old 08-09-2012, 04:48 AM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelotalove View Post
I had a great time running with the people there. Really cool experience running no-mag digital and with a different digital system. Thank you to Gary for the invite. Lance
You picked it up pretty quick!!
GP
Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 AM
National Racer

Racing this thursday night at the Green Monster, 6:00
Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM
National Racer

I am on my third contoller extension box, so until I can get the wires extended I will set up a barrier so we don't push on the wire reaching for cars in the horse shoe.
Also just ordered a power supply from Cincy Slots so we can have better performance from the 124's.
Let me know who may or may not come, I might invite some other guys, just don't want to get too many.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 PM
National Racer

We will be there! Can't seem to pass up good clean fun and friendly banter!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Club Racer
View WES's Photo Album

Sorry,can't make it again this time,got too much going on at work.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
National Racer

We will miss Wes and crew, not the same with out them.
New power supply may or may not be in tomorrow. Back up plan is to rig the transformer on top of my CK engine cooler.(D124) I am only assuming overheating is why it shuts off.
I will do my best to keep race night on the fourth thursday of every month, mark your calendars. KW, who may be able to come tomorrow said he may give me the fourth thursday even when HTK resumes.
GP