MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 PM
National Racer
View MrCarp's Photo Album

Default Laptimer 2000

I am using the Laptimer 2000 timing system as the timing system for my track. It is a wonderful system/program, but I have some questions about it and was wondering if anyone can answer them for me.

Question 1: Does anyone know if the program is able to cut the power to the track once a or the race is over?
Question 2: Does anyone know if one could add different sound bites to the program for laps and best laps?

Thanks in advance for all your time.

Paul
Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Laptimer 2000 does manage track power. You will need to get a relay, there is one recommended on the HO Slot Car Racing site. Take a look at the Help section of the program. I have not used this program myself, but you should be able to substitute sound files. They would have to be the same type as the original ones. You might have to move the original files someplace else, or just rename them, then use the names that the original files had for the new files.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Top Qualifier
View bibbster's Photo Album

Paul, I've wondered about sound files myself but have just never taken the time to look around in the program files and such. If nobody chimes in with an exact answer I'll see about poking around for us in the next few days...if not sooner.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:30 AM
SCI Administrator
View kidvoltage's Photo Album

Bad news on #2. LapTimer2K is a single file executable. There are no support files and no sounds files to be dealt with. In my opinion it falls a little short of desirable simply because there is no concept of heats with rotation. If your goal is to run a simple single heat race I think it mostly works fine. If you desire some manner of multiple heats in a managed environment you need something else.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 PM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

If you want to run lane rotations with Laptimer 2000 you will have to make each heat a seperate race and use a form to mark down how many laps each racer got at the end of each heat. You then have to add up each racer's total laps and rank the finishers. A more sophisticated program would do all of that for you. Ultimate Racer 3 is a free program that should do the job and can use the same hardware as Laptimer 2000, it has its own forum on this BB. There is one thing to look out for when you do lane rotations and that is how the software handles racers that got the same number of laps. In the case of TrakMate the program uses each racer's fastest lap time in his last heat to break ties, at least that is the way the program acts. In any case the program does not always get it right and it is best to mark where the cars stop when they finish.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
National Racer

Well I just downloaded Ultimate Racer 3 and got it it detect the cars when they pass by the photo cell. Noticed that it didn't count a few laps. Mite have to run a few more laps to make sure. Does it beep or make noise when the light are counting down for the start of a race? Is there a special place to find sound bites. How does the fueling system work? Oh by the way I am using it on my wood track. I like the screens, just have to figure it out to which one I what to us. Oh does the program have a relay or a system which gives power at the beginning of a race and kill it at the end of the race? Sorry for all the questions about the program.

Paul
Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

You should post your questions in the Ultimate Racer Support forum. I have never raced on a track that used UR 3. According to the UR3 website the program manages track power. You have to have a relay. The race sounds can be customized. If you go to the UR3 website there is a Help section on the left side of the page.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 AM
National Racer

Thanks Richd,

I will post them over there.

Paul