MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 11-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Championship Contender
View 356speedster's Photo Album

Default Small Carrera layouts

In light of my urge to convert my main track to Carrera D132 I've been playing with my layout software to find a good Carrera layout that will fit in my small track room.

I guess I am not the only one that is tempted by the Carrera system but feel the space is a bit limited, so I thought I'd start a thread where we can share small D132 layout ideas.

I will post my layout ideas, and feel free to comment, suggest improvements and post your own layouts, and if you already have a small Carrera track up and running please chime in with some pics and comments on how you feel it works, and maybe what you would like to improve and if you race with or without magnets on it.

I would like to keep this thread limited to layouts smaller than 12 x 8 feet, including borders and a pit-lane. And please post one layout per post as that will make it easier to link back to a specific layout later.

Please also post the overall size, lap length and if the layout is suitable against walls or need access from all sides.

Tore
Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Championship Contender

Carrera 12X6a

This is a classic "pretzel" design for a free standing 12x6 table. The full size including borders is 12' 1" X 6' 3". The lap lenght is 47' 6" but lanes are not equal. Could be elevated or used on a flat table if some borders are modified.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Championship Contender

Carrera1

This "island" design is optimized for my track room where it will have walls on 3 sides of the track. Access is only possible from the front so this is basically a U-shape with a center "island" to allow relatively easy access to all parts of the track.

The full size is 11' 5" X 8' 4" but with a custom built table/frame it will take up a lot less space than a regular 12x8 table layout. Lap length is 48' 5" but lanes are not equal.

I have sketched on dozens of variations of this layout but this should show the overall idea even though some of the LC locations are not optimal.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Championship Contender

Carrera 3b

A big pit lane for displaying cars is a "key feature" I want for my next track, so this variation of the "Carrera 1" layout above is maximized a bit more to get a longer pit lane straight by running the back straight as a bridge.

Again this is an "island" design suited to fill up a small room with access to the whole track from the front of the layout.

The overall size is 11' 6" X 8' 9" and lap length is 52' 2" but not equal between lanes.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Championship Contender

Carrera 5b

If you custom build the table/frame then this U-shape has access to all of the track from the front and center of the layout even when it fills up a whole room and is placed against 3 walls

The overall size is 11' 5" X 7' 6" and the lap length is even between the lanes at 47' 9".
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Championship Contender

Carrera 8d

This is a fast flowing 12 x 7 layout with a long straight running across the table as a bridge over the infield. It's best suited on a free standing table, but there is space for an access hatch in the middle of the layout, so it could be used in a small room if easy access is not the main priority.

The overall size is 11' 8" X 7' 8", but the main part of the track is only 11' 8" X 6' 8" so it should fit on a 12x7 table with the elevated turn at the end of the bridge sticking out a little.

Lap length is uneven at 53' 4"
Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Championship Contender
View thatguy01's Photo Album

This uses common set pieces plus a box of R4.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Championship Contender

Carrera 11

How about 60 feet of track on a 12x8 table? This is a space saver!

Best suited on a free standing table, but there might be space for a access hatch to the left of the bridge, so it could be usable against two walls.

The elevated turn hides the entry turn to the pit lane, but I think it might work if the elevation is made high enough to get a sight line under the bridge.

Total track size is 11' 6" X 7' 8" and the lap length is 60' 3" but not even between the lanes.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Top Qualifier
View b.yingling's Photo Album

I really like 3b out of all of these designs.

Just a word of caution that may save you some re-arranging once testing begins: a dual lane changer directly after the pit entry as pictured in carrera1 above will lead to problems. Two lane change sections directly after one another can have unintended consequences. Mistaken pit entries when lane changes were intended, etc. The lack of any straight track in front of the pit entry in the same design will also lead to missed pit entries.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Championship Contender
View slotcardaniel's Photo Album

356SPEEDSTER...nice layouts.....the one I like from your designs is the 3b but the layout of thatguy01 looks very nice and with longer straights. I like less curves and longer straights (personal choice).

But I would like to ask you why you are adding borders all around the track. It will look impressive and very big !!!!. But if you just limit the borders to the curves (mainly the flat ones) then you will have more space for landscaping or adding those Pit Stops garages.

You can immediately see the difference with or without borders when you compare Thatguy01 layout design with yours.

Just a comment.

Daniel

Last edited by slotcardaniel; 11-07-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Championship Contender

Carrera 12

A "paperclip" design for a 11 X 7 table with working 2-lane pit lane.

There is space for 2 access hatches, so could be used in a small room, and with the slightly narrower width it could be moved out from the back wall to get access from 3 sides.

Total size is 11' 4" X 7' and lap length is 54' 3" but not even.

That's the last one from me today, so please chime in with more small Carrera layouts

Tore
Old 11-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.yingling View Post
I really like 3b out of all of these designs.

Just a word of caution that may save you some re-arranging once testing begins: a dual lane changer directly after the pit entry as pictured in carrera1 above will lead to problems. Two lane change sections directly after one another can have unintended consequences. Mistaken pit entries when lane changes were intended, etc. The lack of any straight track in front of the pit entry in the same design will also lead to missed pit entries.
Thanks, that's good info to remember

Tore
Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotcardaniel View Post
..But I would like to ask you why you are adding borders all around the track. It will look impressive and very big !!!!. But if you just limit the borders to the curves (mainly the flat ones) then you will have more space for landscaping or adding those Pit Stops garages.
Hi Daniel

Borders take up a lot of space and is quite expensive, but I like to add full borders when designing, because it shows how much space it might take and reveals where the track could/should be elevated or where borders might have to be custom made/fitted.

I prefer to race 1/32 "no-mag" or "low-mag" with the kids, so outer borders is at least a must for every corner and a full straight after each turn, and by leaving space for inner borders I keep the option to run 1/24 cars
Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy01 View Post
This uses common set pieces plus a box of R4.

Took the liberty to re-design this layout with borders and some digital bits, and turned it upside down

Track size with borders: 10' 8" X 6' 7" (325 X 200 cm)
Lap lengt: 45' 4" (even)
Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Novice Racer
View zracer003's Photo Album

This is our 8X10 ft layout, but could be stretched easily. I believe the track is about 52 ft. I do not know which program you have used to show the layouts as in other posts,so I attached a couple of pictures. It is a very fast layout, with the outer banked turns almost full speed w/ mag. The infield is more technical. The Carrera nascars will run this in the low 7 sec range. The 908 makes it in about 5.7 to 5.8 seconds. We plan to add a few more lane changers, but great racing action. Hope this helps, and great idea for the thread. Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP6265.JPG (62.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP6267.JPG (70.7 KB, 214 views)