MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum  
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Club Racer
View Old-street-rcr.'s Photo Album

Default NEED help t-jet, magnatrac,xtraction

Being new I have a few questions if anyone cares to help me.

1. Aurora t-jet pick up shoes, do they fit A/W THUNDER JET, MAGNATRACTION, AND XTRACTION ? Reason i'm asking tried putting some HO EXRESS BRAND T-JET SILVER PLATED SHOES ON MY A/W T-JET, they didn't fit properly in the hook area .#hoe-5060.. I also have some AFX 2 sets silver flat shoes . haven't tried these yet, but hook area is didn't bend than the HO EXPRESS SHOES..

2. What brand of shoes are good for magnatraction & xtraction, skiiny, wide , etc.

3. Are longer guide pins available for the above chassis. ?

4. I have seen and heard on here about Fray type front ends or wider weightd front enda for t-jets, ? tuff one chassis.. I'm only running in home Tomy tracks as thre isn't any H.O. racing or clubs in my oart of the country. Wish there were! do these front ends give more stabilty / thanks S.E. LOUISIANA
Old 04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
National Racer
View beast1624's Photo Album

1. I have been able to get original Aurora sliver tough ones pick ups and Wizard copper pickups to fit on A/W T-jets with little modifications. Have not tried other brands. Not sure if they will fit A/W MT/XT's.

2. for A/W MT/XT's I have found the original A/FX ski shoes (the ones with no step...straight all the way back) work pretty good. Other original A/FX shoes seem to work good too.

3. We have used the metal Tyco and G-Plus pins with good luck. Wizard sells an adjustable metal pro pin for Patriots and Tyco's that might work too...it can be made longer or shorter with a wheel press.

4. RT-HO makes a $15 weighted front end that really helps handling for me on original Fray car. I have seen others use these on A/W t-jets as well. Not sure about MT/XT chassis. There are other , more economical front ends available. Check out RT-HO's website, Lucky Bob's or One Stop Slot Shop's site. They all have good selections of stuff for every flavor of T-Jet and some for XT/MT cars.

All the above work on my Tomy home track.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Club Racer

Default shoes

Thanks, beast, that was helpful. will contact on of the vendors and try it ouy. these pancakes cars are a lot of fun.. I can see them, my mega-g's , superg+ 's are too fast , but fun in there own right.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:06 PM
National Racer
View beast1624's Photo Album

T-Jets and Mag cars are totally different styles of racing! Fun part is Friday night races: first one with box stock T-Jet'x then go straight to Mega G's in the second race...major mind shift!

Forgot to mention: Bud's HO Slot Cars is an excellent source for spare A/W T-Jet, XT and 4-gear spare parts.

Last edited by beast1624; 04-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM
National Racer
View SouthLyonBen's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-street-rcr. View Post
Thanks, beast, that was helpful. will contact on of the vendors and try it ouy. these pancakes cars are a lot of fun.. I can see them, my mega-g's , superg+ 's are too fast , but fun in there own right.
Even though I grew up with inline cars when I came back to the hobby I gravitated more towards Pancake cars as I enjoyed them more on a home layout but with upgraded traction mags and tires you can start to actually make use of the speed of inline cars, I enjoy both now it gives me a little variety
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

I use Tomy guide pins on Magnatraction and X-Traction cars. I like to replace the entire front axle assembly with a Tomy one. These cars have enough downforce that they don't benefit from a weighted front end. With JL/AW cars I just use OEM shoes. How the shoes are adjusted is probably more important than what make they are. We run several T-Jet classes where everyone uses a weighted front end of some sort.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Top Qualifier
View slotking's Photo Album

Quote:
These cars have enough downforce that they don't benefit from a weighted front end.
I have found better times with the magnatraction with a weighted front end, what you have to work with the the rolling weight vs the handling. we ean with custom arms and poly mags! they are very fast.
when i went to the brass front ends, I was in the winner circle a lot more

I even found some inline super stocks ran better with a slightly heaver(brass) front end than the plastic/aluminum ones.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:51 AM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

HOCOC allows weighted front ends on Magnatraction and X-Traction cars, only a few of the racers seem to be using them. Just about all of the tracks that we race on are very smooth, continuous rail, MaxTrax, TKO, Brad Bowman and the like. On a regular sectional track there is likely to be a greater benefit to using a weighted front end. For a start you need to get the magnets as close to the rails as possible, just short of the chassis dragging. We allow sanding of the bottom of the chassis. After doing that you should try a weighted front end.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Top Qualifier
View slotking's Photo Album

inline to t-jets, I always run as low as possible, I want my magnets to work for me.

on the weights, they work on smooth or rough track.
the key is the amount of weight.
you do not have to run the heavy fray type front ends.
you have to find the balance
Old 06-17-2012, 02:59 PM
International Racer
View rperyon's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
I use Tomy guide pins on Magnatraction and X-Traction cars. I like to replace the entire front axle assembly with a Tomy one. These cars have enough downforce that they don't benefit from a weighted front end. With JL/AW cars I just use OEM shoes. How the shoes are adjusted is probably more important than what make they are. We run several T-Jet classes where everyone uses a weighted front end of some sort.
Hi Rich,

I'm new to the AW Tjets, not sure if these are what you're referencing, but anyway, what type and how do you make adjustments to the shoes. I noticed most of the AW T-Jets need some kind of tweaking before they will run smoothly. Thanks

rob
Old 06-17-2012, 04:06 PM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

For the best performance the shoes should be perpendicular to the track when you view them from the front of the car and if you put the car on a spare track section and look where they sit on the rails the shoes should be perfectly flat. If you look at the wear pattern on the shoes you can see if they are making contact for their entire length. Sometimes the step in the shoe is bowed, you need to straighten that first. Often the shoes will be grooved towards the front or back and will need to be bent slightly. I have a track section that has had about an inch and a half of the plastic removed from either side of the rails. I can examine the contact area from the underside of the track. After the shoes get some time on them they will become grooved to the extant that they will make poor contact, in that case you can remove them from the car and sand them flat.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Championship Contender
View slotbubba's Photo Album

Tweaking shoes takes a little learning, but the results generally pay for themselves in spades. On a well prepped Fray car, the shoes will either make it a beast or a dog.

This is true for ALL classes of cars, and I didn't have a clue about any of this when I was younger.

You can make or buy a nice little shoe adjuster tool, which is very nice for making gentle adjustments to the various bends. Look for example at Slot Pro Speedway's website to see what it looks like.

You'll also be surprised that some folks on here would be willing to take a chassis and tweak on it and send it back so you can see what has been done.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Club Racer

Default tweaking

Slotbubba, and all - since I 1st sent the original post. I have been working at getting shoes right ! It does take a little time, but when I got one right , the car took off, wow ! I will make me a tool for shoes soon . I learn something new every time someone responds to my questions, and for that Iam greatful...Thanks much
Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 PM
International Racer

Default Shoe Tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-street-rcr. View Post
Slotbubba, and all - since I 1st sent the original post. I have been working at getting shoes right ! It does take a little time, but when I got one right , the car took off, wow ! I will make me a tool for shoes soon . I learn something new every time someone responds to my questions, and for that Iam greatful...Thanks much

I curious as to how you make your tool. Is this something that's easy to do, can you share it with me? Thanks for your post. This has been an ongoing problem for me, and I have no clue how to adjust the shoes without bending them out of shape altogether.:
Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 PM
International Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
Rich,

is there a starting point or a max weight for how much weight to use?

rob