Carrera Slot Cars
Fly Model Car
BRM Model Cars
NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Tracks & Layouts > Track, Layouts & Scenery

View Poll Results: Which track system do you race on?
Carrera 355 27.73%
NINCO 188 14.69%
Scalextric Classic 95 7.42%
Scalextric Sport 386 30.16%
SCX 70 5.47%
SCX Digital 102 7.97%
Strombecker, Monogram etc. 34 2.66%
Artin 76 5.94%
Routed with copper tape 142 11.09%
Routed with braid inc Magnetic 52 4.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1280. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2006, 03:23 PM
JohnGo

Exclamation

It is interesting that Routed with Copper Tape is beating out Carrera. I wouldn't have thought that routed would have more response than the second largest supplier of track materials.

Good poll!

jg
Old 06-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Top Qualifier
View The Old Jaybird's Photo Album

Cool poll replies

John Dude,

Like I been tellin' y'all......WOOD IS GOOD!!!!

MDF = Mac Daddy Fun!!!

You in your new house yet? I'll be over with the router tomorrow, what kind of limit you got on your VISA??

TOJ, racin' on wood since 1962
Old 06-09-2006, 09:19 PM
JohnGo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Jaybird
John Dude,

Like I been tellin' y'all......WOOD IS GOOD!!!!

MDF = Mac Daddy Fun!!!

You in your new house yet? I'll be over with the router tomorrow, what kind of limit you got on your VISA??

TOJ, racin' on wood since 1962
I have never argued. I think wood is great. I was just surprised it is beating out plastic...

I'll be sleeping there tomorrow night. May not have everything out of here, but am getting closer. Looking forward to it!

My card is limited by how much is in my checking account and that is a scary small number at this point. I am thinking MDF should = Make Donations Friend...

jg
Old 06-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Championship Contender
View jmswms's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGo
I have never argued. I think wood is great. I was just surprised it is beating out plastic...

I'll be sleeping there tomorrow night. May not have everything out of here, but am getting closer. Looking forward to it!

My card is limited by how much is in my checking account and that is a scary small number at this point. I am thinking MDF should = Make Donations Friend...

jg
No denying the virtues of wood, but the poll tells you more about SCI than it does about what people are using. I belong to a club with 8 tracks -- none are wood. We have five Scalextric, one Carrera, one Ninco, and one Artin. I've got Scalextric, although eventually I can see myself routing a track.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:43 AM
JohnGo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms
No denying the virtues of wood, but the poll tells you more about SCI than it does about what people are using. I belong to a club with 8 tracks -- none are wood. We have five Scalextric, one Carrera, one Ninco, and one Artin. I've got Scalextric, although eventually I can see myself routing a track.
And actually, if you add the plastics together, wood is still behind what one would call "the Norm."

jg
Old 06-10-2006, 08:02 AM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

Who's Norm? The poll sitter? I kill myself, really ...
Old 06-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Championship Contender
View jmswms's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGo
And actually, if you add the plastics together, wood is still behind what one would call "the Norm."

jg
The poll has 33% wood tracks -- and now, confession time, I've never even seen a wood track in person. So, the poll tells us about the type of people who are active on SCI. Naturally, it is more enthusiasts for slots and, not surprisingly, they tend to migrate toward wood. Hey, I'll admit I'm on the slow, slippery slope to that mythical land called wood too... but then I'm posting on SCI.

Last edited by jmswms; 06-10-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:38 AM
World Champion
View dr vanski's Photo Album

Default Sport-ing minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms
The poll has 33% wood tracks -- and now, confession time, I've never even seen a wood track in person. So, the poll tells us about the type of people who are active on SCI. Naturally, it is more enthusiasts for slots and, not surprisingly, they tend to migrate toward wood. Hey, I'll admit I'm on the slow, slippery slope to that mythical land called wood too... but then I'm posting on SCI.
...except for the 44% of us who use Sport track, eh? I guess we just have commitment issues.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:47 AM
National Racer
View Junior8's Photo Album

Funny, I would have thought that the routed wood tracks would have slam dunked the plastic tracks! All that I hear and read is how much better they are. I would indeed have one myself if I had the room for it. I ran a slot car track many years ago and I know that they are the way to go.Now I have a 45 foot Sport track that is a great track but I may switch to wood at some time. Money is another problem, I have a lot of money in this track and I don't think that I could duplicate my layout on a wood track. Mainly because I have used the tight R1 turns in several places to get all the running room that I could out of the space that it takes on a 4x12 table.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:52 AM
World Champion
View Robert Livingston's Photo Album

One of the reasons people don't use wood tracks is that it takes more time, skill, and tools to build one than to assemble a sectional plastic track. Plus, it is not so easily changed, and represents a committment to an idea of what works best for the builder. I have a feeling that as time goes by, the wood track proportion in the hobby will inch upward. But we are a mobile society, and a sectional track breaks down nicely, and the whole thing goes in a carton.

Funny thing, I am hanging on to my 50', two lane Revell sectional track, just in case I need it. It is in a carton under the wood track.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Championship Contender
View LegoPete's Photo Album

Default more Ninco

I just bought a whole bunch more Ninco track... can I vote again?

Pete
Old 06-10-2006, 05:11 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

Question Polls apart

Don't think the board allows for that, but didja vote on the tire poll?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:56 PM
National Racer
View Eno Dog's Photo Album

I have actually changed my plans since I answered in the first place. I've just bought a hell of a lot more track and have feelers out for another bucket load from one of the guys who is going wood.

It's grouse - I now have 2 goodwood chicanes so I can do one big palooza of a chicane now! the only question is do I use it to bring all four lanes together or do I run them outwards so I can put a 'spun' car in the middle of the track when I come to pretty it up?

In part it's been watching some of the posts of guys like Dr Vanski who seem to constantly change layouts just for the halibut. I think I'd prefer that than to get stuck with something that's going to annoy the hell out of me 'cause it's not quite right - I can just keep fiddling at it!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Championship Contender
View noddaz's Photo Album

I don't remember...
Could you have had more than one chioce on this poll?
So far the totals add up to 155%

Scott
Old 06-19-2006, 08:09 PM
World Champion
View ElSecundo's Photo Album

One of the big misconceptions regarding wood is that it can't be changed. It can, and relatively easily, depending on what you intend to do.

Regarding the percentage of wood track owners, I'm not sure that they're inching steadily upward. If the total number of slot car track owners was a constant, then this number would inch upwards all the time. I suspect, though, that for every person switching over to wood, we'll find 10-20 new plastic owners (or more). We just won't see them on the board right away, if at all.