MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 11-07-2014, 07:59 PM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

Default Scalextric App Race Control, ARC One

Most of the Scalextric Digital guys have been following this stuff pretty closely, but it really is more appropriate here, as a 2 lane analog lap counting, timing, and race management system. Scalextric has brought to market the App Race Control (A.R.C.) One system, which is a 2 lane analog system with wired controllers. It works really well, and has a lot of great features that many people only enjoy with a computer connected to a DIY, or expensive, lap counting mechanism. The system does require a compatible iOS or Android device, but in times like these, that's actually fairly common. Scalextric has published several videos, both early PR type things, straight-up advertisements, and even some cool behind the scenes stuff. Those are easily found on the Official Scalextric YouTube channel, as well as in other threads.

I had the opportunity to play with the ARC One set today at 132slotcar.us, also known as Alan Smith's ScaleRacing Center. We set it up on a couple tables to help promote the hobby to consumers that come in, but aren't interested in weekly competitive races, as well as to those attending and spectating the 24hr race coming up next week. Here's a quick video I took of playing with the system. It's not a tutorial, because the system really doesn't need one. It's also not an advertisement. It's just me, playing with it, and showing the viewer what it is and does within a couple minutes. If you're looking for more information, check out some of the threads in the Digital and Scalextric Digital forums, as well as the Official Scalextric YouTube channel.

Note that this is NOT a digital thing. It's 2 lane analog.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:50 PM
National Racer
View Z-carfan's Photo Album

Aww crap, MrFlip... now I wish I had bought it when I was at my local shop....

I wonder if there will be a kit for analog (or digital) where you don't have to get the cars and track.
For example, just the tablet interface and track connection. Would the older Sport controllers work?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:01 PM
SCI Administrator
View Scaleracing's Photo Album

Default First of the App Scalextric systems now available.

This first system is an entry level system. The controllers do not have brakes, and as far as I know you could not connect them.
But if you add in another Power Base this can still be an incredible Race Management system and Lap Counter.

Thanks to Greg ( MrFlippant ) for the Video above and allowing me to win the Endurance Race

Last edited by Scaleracing; 11-07-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:05 PM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru

Yeah, someone on the internet already opened one up, and there's no 3rd connection even if you wanted to use a controller with brakes. But, as Alan said, it has been verified that connecting a Sport, or other power supply/trackpower/controller hookup, this would still work as race management, including the pit lane thing.

Also, Scalextric answered a similar question on their Facebook page, saying that the base WOULD be offered separately at some point. I would guess it would come with power and controllers, but no cars and track. The price might not be much less than the ARC One set, though. The track and cars are definitely not a big part of the price here. The ARC One cars are the generic "GT" cars they sell super cheap in cardboard boxes, and the track is typical set piece, though with a few even less useful pieces (90 degree R2, and straight+bridge length straights).
Old 11-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Championship Contender
View Porsche Racer's Photo Album

I like what I see Greg.

What a great way to a provide an RMS for the casual home racer and for the serious racer alike. Such an easy setup. Can't wait to see the digital version.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:09 AM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru

It really is a game changer for the consumer. Most people don't want to spend a lot on fancy lap counter hardware (DS, Trackmate, etc), or build their own, AND dig up a spare computer, install software, configure com ports, etc... they just want to plop the cars on and race. This lets them do that, but still get accurate lap timing, counting, a variety of race types, and even the simulation stuff like fuel and tires and pit stop if they want. All with a simple app download. It doesn't even require them to fiddle with bluetooth pairing and stuff. Just allow the app to turn on bluetooth, and it does all the work. The only stumbling block is the need for a compatible device, but Scalextric made a smart move and didn't limit it to Apple devices like so many other "mobile device" connected toys. While the list of compatible devices isn't especially long, it does cover a lot of the more popular iOS and Android devices. While my Samsung Galaxy S3 didn't work well (not supported, but sort-of worked), Alan's phone and tablet both worked well.

I've got a pre-order in for the digital version.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Championship Contender
View Porsche Racer's Photo Album

Is there a list somewhere of the compatible devices? I want to keep an eye out for an inexpensive tablet to use when the digital version comes out but I want to be sure it will work. I also have the digital version pre-ordered.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:38 PM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru

The list is pretty short right now, so I wouldn't worry too much about it until the Pro is closer to release. But, this image is from the box, hosted by Scalextric:

Old 01-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Novice Racer

Hello,

Anyone had any experience with the ARC app yet?

I logged all my cars a few days ago. Today all gone - wiped!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Club Racer
View MrSqueezeMe's Photo Album

Yes but haven't had any entries. I just added some to see what happens. MSM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:27 PM
Club Racer
View MrSqueezeMe's Photo Album

Entries still there. Started -restarted, powered phone off/on, started with and without bluetooth option. All there. BTW i have a MotoX with Android KikKat (4.4.2).

MSM

Last edited by MrSqueezeMe; 01-05-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Novice Racer

Thanks for testing.
I haven't lost anything since yesterday.
So, so far so good on my iphone.

This is by far the most fun the whole family has had with our slotcars, hands down. Love the ARC system. The ARC system is fantastic
Old 01-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Novice Racer

Happened again - lost everything.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 PM
Pit Crew

Can the arc one do a four Lane scalextric layout
Old 02-26-2015, 04:23 PM
National Racer
View Z-carfan's Photo Album

I just got mine hooked up, it looks like it is only designed for 2 lanes. The controller cords are too short for my liking. I have not put any cars in yet, but will advise. (I'm on Apple iPad for those keeping score).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk